On the Rise: Secretive chainsaw pop favorites finally release debut full-length 'Killing Time.'
Terry Malts (www.facebook.com/terrymalts) had me at "Your love makes me nauseous," a line from its upcoming release. The Guardian covered the band before, but this year something has shifted. The previously secretive act (the trio still posed for us with bags over their heads, though I can assure you, all three have faces) is stepping one pinkie toe out into the public sphere; at least, it's finally releasing its debut LP, Killing Time, Feb. 21 on Slumberland Records. (There also will be a split seven-inch in a few months on Loglady Records with LA's Dead Angle.)
Described perfectly to-the-bone as chainsaw pop, Killing Time is gloriously melodic slop packed with noisy punk riffs, classic SST evoking lyrics, and the all-important yet now often forgotten samples peppered throughout; there's one from Suburbia (1984) — "don't I even get a goodbye this time?" — and another that's just a faded/manipulated Beach Boys strain. Fans of Crass and Flipper, Nathan Sweatt, Corey Cunningham, and Phil Benson have all spent time in other local acts. On Dec. 16, 2009, at a Slobber show at Pissed Off Pete's, the trio came up with the name Terry Malts and thus a new project. It should be noted that Terry Malts were the only band that offered me a beer at the shoot — Budweiser, natch.
Description of sound: Black Tambourine Flag.
What do you like most about the Bay Area music scene: Tell you what we don't like instead. The Bay Area music scene seems to get defined by a handful of bands that have been deemed "The Sound Of San Francisco" and it's very limited in scope. Not everything is garage rock here.
What piece of music means the most to you and why: The Buzzcocks' "Singles Going Steady" is a good meeting point for all three us.
Favorite local eatery and dish: The #6 at Turtle Tower, best for hangovers.
Who would you most like to tour with: A reunited Henry's Dress (c'mon HARTMAN).
Most Commented On
- It is probably a made up number anyway - July 28, 2014
- Does Jane Kim return your calls? - July 28, 2014
- You are being asked to furnish evidence for your claim - July 28, 2014
- Thinsg like this is why I quit the ACLU - July 28, 2014
- Nah, SFBG have hated Kim ever since she toasted Walker - July 28, 2014
- California law is quite - July 28, 2014
- right. so all those towns in - July 28, 2014
- "hundreds of tenants have - July 28, 2014
- All I know is that Kim is way better than Daly was and - July 28, 2014
- 60% housing to be affordable is like SF being transit first - July 28, 2014