In the wake of all the kerfuffles besetting Pride this year -- from the Pride Board's egregiously mismanaged reaction to the election of Bradley Manning as a community grand marshal (his supporters have plans of their own), to the recent announcement that military recruiters would be descending upon the celebration in earnest, and, well, just the continued corporatization of Pride in general -- it comes as no surprise that a radical Pride-questioning movement has been reawakened. Just like the '90s are back, so is Gay Shame, at least in spirit.
And thus an alternative parade to the Pride one on Sunday has been announced -- let us not be surprised that it is a bar crawl! In any case, it's a nice start to getting us back to our gay, unlicensed roots while joining with other activists who are Over the Rainbow(TM). Here's the statement from the organizers with more details.
Have you had enough with the poor political choices of some community leaders that claim to represent you? Are you over the over-corporatizing of SF PRIDE??? Or just tired of the same old events that don't reflect who you are, and how you want to celebrate your queer pride?
Want to be part of something different, something fun, something that will challenge conventional thought within the SF LGBTQ community?
Then join us for an ALTERNATIVE TO PRIDE PARADE (AND BAR CRAWL).
We will be getting back to our gay roots, meeting at THE CINCH BAR at 1723 Polk Street at 12 NOON with the parade beginning at 1pm (we don't think a 10:30am start time for a Pride Parade is appropriate), ending up at THE SF EAGLE.
We will make stops along the way, passing through SF PRIDE at Civic Center to express (peacefully) our displeasure with what passes for gay pride at this event, and then we will continue on to SOMA with stops at THE POWERHOUSE/HOLE IN THE WALL, and finally we will end up at The SF EAGLE.
We encourage you to DRESS UP, whatever you want: Drag, Leather, Freak, Nerd, Casual, Beach Wear, Furry, Punk, etc. We also encourage you to BRING PROTEST SIGNS, be creative (body paint?), be original! We will definitely want folks to know what we are up to and perhaps get people thinking about why we need BUDWEISER, VIRGIN AMERICA, VERIZON, WELLS FARGO, BANK OF AMERICA, and COMCAST to have a good time!
Most Commented On
- Hard-working Asian city? Love it. - April 16, 2014
- Benito as in Mussolini? - April 16, 2014
- Sssh... a movement like this - April 16, 2014
- New students are not enrolling at CCSF because they see it is - April 16, 2014
- The case against CCSF is so compelling that no appeal is - April 16, 2014
- People like Greg always call anyone who disagrees with their - April 16, 2014
- Except that there is not a shred of evidence that the death of - April 16, 2014
- Is there anything SEIU does not have an opinion about? - April 16, 2014
- Cynthia Crews cannot claim to speak for the people - April 16, 2014
- Fat is the new Starving - April 16, 2014