Today I named veteran Bay Area journalist Stephen Buel publisher of the San Francisco Bay Guardian.
And following the resignation of Editor and Publisher Tim Redmond, I named longtime Bay Guardian editor Marke Bieschke interim editor of the paper.
Buel, editorial vice president of the San Francisco Newspaper Company, will bolster the paper’s fortunes while upholding its long tradition of investigative journalism, progressive values and cultural coverage. Bieschke, the paper’s managing editor, nightlife columnist and long-time San Francisco resident and activist will help provide vision and leadership on the print and digital editions of the Guardian.
“The Guardian has been losing money, and we were forced to contemplate some editorial layoffs,” Buel said. “Tim decided to resign rather than follow through with what we were discussing. I am dedicated to reversing the Guardian’s fortunes and helping it grow again.
“While we will all miss Tim’s skills as a journalist, I would like to assure the Guardian faithful that it will remain the progressive newspaper of record in San Francisco. I suspect there will be some skepticism about that, but over time, I am confident that readers will not be disappointed.”
— Todd Vogt, president and publisher of the San Francisco Newspaper Company, parent company of the Guardian, SF Weekly and The San Francisco Examiner.
Most Commented On
- WYsRgVClJdtNwFaK - April 20, 2014
- mrnnTPnohFR - April 20, 2014
- oxKRqnzmPVrMsjmmMnNa - April 20, 2014
- RtIIppvQckFtmhHcZcF - April 20, 2014
- DR OSUN CAN HELP YOU - April 20, 2014
- FgPNcPFcFgITocfgIl - April 20, 2014
- xnEEgXqeAgkRiN - April 20, 2014
- JxdHtDYjuVjHnn - April 20, 2014
- CGtmnZFBqyOGkGDYy - April 20, 2014
- udWmivkWKLMee - April 20, 2014