There's gonna be a morning after (pill)

The "morning after" pill
centredaily.com

The Obama adminstration has decided not to block the over the counter availability of "morning after contraceptives". Simply put, any woman or girl (or man, assuming he's either motivated or very confused) can buy a medication that prevents pregnancy up to 72 hours after sexual intercourse.

Naturally, the mainstream media is claiming that this move is fraught with negative implications for Obama, but as this polls well with one of the president's truest bases, single women, where might this be? In reality, this is not just a no-brainer among the supposedly "enlightened" progressives but should be very popular among the strong anti-abortion opposition of same--after all, no pregnancy, no abortions.

Of course it isn't. The "morning after pill" is considered an "abortifacient", even though its purpose is to prevent the very beginning of pregnancy. Plus, that the pill is available to young women without parental notification, this supposedly "encourages promiscuity" (much in the same way that a clean glass would encourage alcoholism, right?). As such, it removes more power from the parent and is a very easily attainable contraceptive which by fiat means acknowledgement of pre-marital sex. Yeah, I know it isn't the 1950's for the rest of us, but.....

What no one dares say, well, what the hell, I will: The real reason they oppose this availability is that is may render abortions obsolete. You'd think that as sanctity of life types they would applaud this. They don't--abortion opposition is a major industry and fund raising tool. After the 2010 midterms, the new Tea Party favorites in Congress introduced bill after bill limiting abortions (that they knew had no chance of passing the Senate). It's a game to them--fact is, with "pro life" President Bush/Speaker Hastert/Maj.leader Frist in power for 4 years and a weak opposition--the best they could do was a "partial birth abortion" limitation, a procedure that accounts for less than 1% of all abortions.

This terrifies the Planned Parenthood phobes to the core of their bones. No abortions mean no contributions. Means a new scourge is gonna have to be found fast and they don't have one.

Too effin' bad.

Comments

It sounds like a big win for men in general, so I'm all for it. Time to go stand outside Walgreens in my trench coat and shades and pay schoolgirls to buy them for me.

Posted by Chromefields on Jun. 11, 2013 @ 11:26 am

Middle-aged guys with underage "girlfriends" everywhere salute this decision!

Posted by Roman on Jun. 11, 2013 @ 11:53 am

Do they sell flex-cuffs and chloroform at Walgreens too?

Posted by Chromefields on Jun. 11, 2013 @ 12:05 pm

You can improvise for the rest

Posted by Guest on Jun. 11, 2013 @ 12:20 pm

After all, "statutory rape" is such an ugly phrase, and is such an inappropriate concept for the 21st century.

Any medical advance that makes reporting of "statutory rape" to law enforcement less likely is obviously of benefit to society.

Posted by Roman on Jun. 11, 2013 @ 12:50 pm

If right-wing trolls are going to take up bandwidth in the comments, they could at least be entertaining. The folks haunting JAW's comment site sound too pathetic even for RedState.com.

Posted by Peter on Jun. 11, 2013 @ 11:58 am
Posted by Guest on Jun. 11, 2013 @ 12:11 pm

If it's bandwidth you're worried about, Peter, you could keep it shorter. Johnny too.

Posted by Chromefields on Jun. 11, 2013 @ 12:16 pm

The crime still exists. That you would see this as some kind of "free rape pass" indicates that sexual deviancy (from frustration) is still a dominant reactionary trait.

Posted by JohnnyW on Jun. 11, 2013 @ 1:26 pm

Hey, you're the guy supporting this.

Who do you think primarily benefits from giving a 14 year old girl access to the morning-after pill? (Hint: it's not the 14 year old girl.)

Posted by Roman on Jun. 11, 2013 @ 1:36 pm

She does. After that, her family. After that, pretty much everyone, especially an overstretched and underfunded safety net.

Or would you prefer that she get an abortion or carry an unwanted pregnancy to term?

Posted by JohnnyW on Jun. 11, 2013 @ 1:54 pm

Just imagine how useful this will be for rock musicians on tour!

Posted by Roman on Jun. 11, 2013 @ 1:58 pm

I'm taking a wild stab here, but I'm guessing you don't have any children, right?

Posted by JohnnyW on Jun. 11, 2013 @ 2:03 pm

"Yeah, because it isn't like there are accurate tests for paternity or anything, right?"

But that's the great thing! Give the 14 year old the morning-after pill, and then there won't be any inconvenient paternity tests! It's simpler all around!

Posted by Roman on Jun. 11, 2013 @ 3:47 pm
Posted by Guest on Jun. 11, 2013 @ 1:55 pm

Does the pill still work if you force-feed it to your 14-year-old date -- but a few minutes before the miraculous glory of conception takes place? I'm asking for a friend...

Posted by Chromefields on Jun. 11, 2013 @ 2:18 pm

rocker past, I suspect he knows the answer to that question.

Posted by Guest on Jun. 11, 2013 @ 2:43 pm

Of course the 14-year-old girl primarily benefits, as does the (hopefully under 18) boy she's having sex with, as do her, as does the community at large.

Posted by Hortencia on Jun. 11, 2013 @ 4:43 pm

Only a man would say that. Men have never have to wake up with the, "Oh, crap, what if?" on their minds, nor have they had to wait weeks to find out if "what if" comes true. Especially when you are a teen and have made a HORRIBLE mistake. As a member of the XX Chromosome Brigade, I am thrilled, as I have a teenage daughter. I want her to have control over her reproduction. It's her body and her choice.

Posted by klmchale on Jun. 11, 2013 @ 5:37 pm

So statutory rapists are holding back because of the lack of availability of this pill? I didn't know rapists possessed such self control. The only difference here is that victims can now avoid having those babies and without an abortion procedure. And JAW is correct, while some may worry that his would increase statutory rape the real powers that be know it will hurt their fund raising, and thus, their wallets. Follow the money…

Posted by Guest on Jun. 11, 2013 @ 2:13 pm
Posted by JohnnyW on Jun. 11, 2013 @ 3:42 pm

When I was underage Johnny wouldn't go near me and I was beautiful.

Posted by Guest on Jun. 11, 2013 @ 3:54 pm

Vell, I tell you, ven I vas in the camps they experimented vith all kinds of ways to prevent pregnancy and sterilization too...and it wasn't some political issue;it was life or death for a whole race of people. Today everybody is just thinking about the gelt, how can we make a couple sheckels and prevent a couple pregnancies...the whole subject gives me a pain in the pupik!

Posted by Chaim Horowitz on Jun. 11, 2013 @ 8:27 pm

It would really help me out if these pills came in suppository form.

Posted by Chromefields on Jun. 12, 2013 @ 6:55 am

I gained sexual experience at age 14 sometimes with boys my age, sometimes with adult men. Frequently I was the initiator.of the encounter. I have no regrets whatsoever at having started that young. The books and magazine articles that explained to teens the changes that were happening to them all said that boys mature later than girls. To my mind, that meant that a somewhat older guy was a better match for me than one my own age. Another great advantage was that the older guys were not in my high school bragging about the encounters, calling me ugly names etc. I always thought it should be my own damn business and nobody else's unless I chose to share, the way I perceived that adults conducted their personal business.BUT--I was fortunate enough to not become pregnant as a minor. Condoms provided by the guy? Coitus interruptus? Sheer luck? All of those. And I say a morning-after pill that teens can get without parental permission or a prescription is a great thing. I didn't think it was my parent's business either. And parents go snooping through teen daughters' dresser drawers,purses,etc., that's the drawback to birth control for teengirls. One parent was prone to screaming about how I lived, the other didn't get worked up about it. And I didn't want to hear the screaming. Still don't! That said, I think if I were that young again I'd run like hell from some of the creepycrawlies with the rape jokes who are commenting on this blog.I feel enlarged and enriched, not damaged, by my early experiences,even though some of the individuals I encountered were regrettable, the overall experience was not. I realize there are complexities to the issues surrounding teen sex and that my way is not everyone's.There are sensible arguments that one can make to young teens about waiting but they're not necessarily based in religion or "morality". And even with good arguments the kids are going to be doing what they please, certainly when they reach age 18 or whatever the age of consent is where they live. BTW there was a morning-after pill around in the early 70's too, I took it once-as an adult-I hope the new one is efficacious with no/minimal harmful side effects and no deleterious effects on fetuses in the case of failures...which could lead us into a discussion on the deficiencies of Big Pharma which is a whole 'nother topic...

Posted by Jane on Jun. 12, 2013 @ 7:14 pm

Posted by Jane on Jun. 12, 2013 @ 7:15 pm

Wholesale leggings from China leggings Wholesalers. You can Online Wholesale tight leggings,Wholesale knitted Leather leggings and more, Best quality and Cheap price Jeggings in China.
Wholesale Jegging China
Wholesale leather leggings
leather leggings

Posted by Wholesale leather leggings on Dec. 17, 2013 @ 12:05 am

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.