Pride weekend in LA

Pride floats
radified.com

It appears that I have pissed off more than a few people as per my opinions on the issue of "Pride Weekend." To clarify then:

Anyone anywhere that regards gay, lesbian, transgendered or bisexual people as second class citizens in any way is an idiot than can fuck off this page immediately. I have no use for you--any relationship I can be in legally, so can everyone. That this is even an issue is asinine.

That said "Pride Weekend" is no different to me than St. Paddy's Day, Memorial Day or any other social event than began as one commemoration (and a gutsy one) and became another one as soon it became fiscally lucrative (and acceptable in the mainstream) to do so. When the HIV virus was destroying gay communities in the 80's, Pride parades were, no pun intended, ballsy.

Now? Great that it's a get together for friends and even as a hook up deal--fine. But I know damned well that its present relationship for way too many people is to gay rights as Christmas is to the teachings of Christ--lots of businesses need this weekend to get into the black for the year. And they do.

If that offends you and enrages you, such is life. I'm just glad that the nonsense tends to be in LA's OTHER gay enclave West Hollywood and not here in the "Swish Alps" of Silver Lake (yes, that's what it was called back in the 1950's, when "City of Night" was inspired) . We're OK with the big bucks bonanza being where it is, bridge and tunnel types are an issue here in Hipsterville every other weekend of the year already. And I am assuming that lots of San Franciscans feel that way as well (think of how the natives feel in New Orleans during Mardi Gras) Have fun!

Comments

"Anyone anywhere that regards gay, lesbian, transgendered or bisexual people as second class citizens in any way is an idiot than can fuck off this page immediately."

Totally agree JAW! Those-people-can-fuck-off-immediately!

P.S. Dig your analysis, always

Posted by Alex on Jun. 08, 2013 @ 9:40 pm

Dismissing anyone holding a different political opinion from you as an "idiot who can fuck off" is demonstrated both intolerance and a miserable inability to express themselves in any civil manner.

Posted by Guest on Jun. 09, 2013 @ 5:20 am

You would defend the regarding a body of people as second-class citizens?

Posted by Guest on Jun. 09, 2013 @ 2:10 pm

I'm simply saying that you should not hate someone just because they have a different world view.

Posted by Guest on Jun. 09, 2013 @ 2:48 pm

If that "world view" has anything to do with calling another person a second class citizen, than I am very much in agreement with the author that he or she can fuck off.

And also, that person is indeed an idiot.

Anyway, I don't think the implication is that they are hated; I think the implication is that they are a fool who isn't worth the time or effort to engage.

Posted by Guest on Jun. 09, 2013 @ 3:22 pm

different from a right-winger calling gays "sinners".

Both are examples of intolerance. JAW's intolerance is towards those of a more conservative persuasion.

Posted by Guest on Jun. 09, 2013 @ 3:45 pm

You can't see the difference?

Gay people aren't "sinners" any more than anyone else is. How does homosexuality in and of itself harm anyone?

An idiot believes that by birthright they are inherently superior to someone else and entitled to more privilege simply by having the numerically predominant sexual preference. Or gender numbers or was born the right skin shade.

An idiot believes that they have the right to oppress others for something that causes no one any harm.

I'm sorry--you aren't an idiot. You're a fool--because no one anywhere would buy this "poor pitiful me, Johnny is picking on me" crap and you're still selling it.

Fool.

Posted by JohnnyW on Jun. 09, 2013 @ 4:13 pm

I am simply noting that you are one extremist taking exception at another, opposite extremist.

You hate them and they hate you. You both think each other are "idiots". You are both intolerant.

Posted by Guest on Jun. 09, 2013 @ 4:47 pm
Posted by Lucretia Snapples on Jun. 09, 2013 @ 9:56 am

Lived in the Slake longer than anywhere else in my life.

Generally happy about it except when the CA prison system releases former residents who come back to the hood and see that none of their friends are still here and start the tagging war nonsense.

Posted by JohnnyW on Jun. 09, 2013 @ 10:09 am

Liberals moved in and took over their old hood. Don't blame them for being pissed off

Posted by Basta Ya on Jun. 10, 2013 @ 12:48 pm

Times change and traditions and their meaning change with the times.

While Pride parades were originally started (first in NYC, then soon in other cities) as more overtly political events marking the anniversary of the Stonewall uprising, they always had a strong celebratory nature, and festivities were always part of the event. Also, whether there are picket signs and banners, or floats, cheerleaders, and student groups, there is always something implicitly political about any minority group holding an event publicly asserting pride in itself.

If attending a Pride event is not your cup of tea, then simply say that, spend your day elsewhere and move on with your life. There is no need to blog about it or write self-righteous editorials. For a newspaper that claims to want to promote individual freedom, the SFBG and its writers sure spend a lot of time telling others what they should think, how they should live, and apparently now, how they should celebrate.

Do your thing and let others do their thing. Personally, I am not a big parade person, regardless of the event, but I think it is terrific there are Pride celebrations in most U.S. metro areas (and in metro area around the world), and I know such events are very meaningful to some people, and at least a good time for many others--and I think that is good enough.

Posted by Chris on Jun. 10, 2013 @ 7:44 am

to never know the necessary love/hate engagement -- and fulfullment --that it is to belong to a community.

Posted by marke on Jun. 10, 2013 @ 8:38 am

they were ostracized from the community and so felt a need to make a lot of noise in a way that a hetero would feel no need to do?

Posted by Guest on Jun. 10, 2013 @ 10:11 am

Marke, try writing a sentence that reflects clarity of thought and conveys a message that others can understand.

Your comment is nonsensical, and as far as I can tell, it also doesn't address the substance of my comment.

How sad of you not to have learned at your age how to communicate clearly.

Posted by Chris on Jun. 10, 2013 @ 10:26 am

Wholesale Galaxy Leggings,Cheap Galaxy Printed Leggings,Fast Shipping Worldwide.You Can Buy Various High Quality Wholesale Galaxy Leggings Products from China.
galaxy leggings
Wholesale galaxy leggings
cheap galaxy leggings

Posted by galaxy leggings on Dec. 17, 2013 @ 12:23 am

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.