Reading Rand Paul's prescription for a bigger and better GOP, I was struck by an interesting thought--since 1988, only one Republican nominee (coincidentally the only one I thought of voting for, Bob Dole), owed virtually none of his success in life to his dad. ( Rand Paul to say the least, owes everything to his dad). The rest--wow!
George HW Bush's dad was a US senator. Bush's son's dad was the POTUSA. McCain's dad was an admiral and Romney's the governor of Michigan/CEO of American Motors. (In McCain's case, his second wife's dad bankrolled him--double nepotism!).
In contrast, for the Democrats in this time frame, only Al Gore was a "daddy's boy".
For a party that believes in "pulling yourselves up by the bootstraps" to become a "self made man" that's a "maker and not a taker", their role models are more or less the opposite in real life, ain't they?
Most Commented On
- right. so all those towns in - July 28, 2014
- "hundreds of tenants have - July 28, 2014
- All I know is that Kim is way better than Daly was and - July 28, 2014
- 60% housing to be affordable is like SF being transit first - July 28, 2014
- Ruh Roh - Kim's off the progressive island - July 28, 2014
- Jane Kim doesn't know sound - July 28, 2014
- Were all the contestants white, Emma? - July 28, 2014
- I agree. I was doing short-term lets long before airbnb existed - July 28, 2014
- There isn't really any socialism in SF - July 28, 2014
- Unlike Redmond, who owns a million dollar home in 94110, Steven - July 28, 2014