Pride reverses course, schedules public meeting May 31

Bradley Mannine

In a surprising but welcome change of course -- after it locked out Bradley Manning supporters and press at a meeting last month, and its statement that it would not hold any more public meetings until after Pride because its decision to rescind the grand marshalship from Manning was "final" -- the SF Pride board has scheduled a public meeting for May 31, 6:30pm, at the Metropolitan Community Church.

And yet the letter to "community members" couldn't resist a couple of digs:

***"The SF Pride Board recognizes and regrets the recent error in the announcement of Mr. Bradley Manning as the Electoral College’s Community Grand Marshal" (perhaps it will offer some proof at the meeting that this was, indeed, an error -- and more openly address the fact that a beloved staffer was fired over this?)

***Its condescending tone and implication that Manning supporters are violent: "We continue to be open to peaceful and constructive conversation with set ground rules but will not condone violence in any form moving forward."

Still, with this board, the meeting is at least something.

Dear Community Members:

For the past four decades, SF Pride has stood firmly to advance its mission to educate the world about LGBT issues, commemorate LGBT heritage, celebrate LGBT culture, and liberate LGBT people.

Thank you for your patience regarding the rescheduling of our community meeting to discuss the recent Electoral College voting. The integrity of the elections process and procedures are very important to SF Pride and the community at large. The SF Pride Board recognizes and regrets the recent error in the announcement of Mr. Bradley Manning as the Electoral College’s Community Grand Marshal. As promised, in the spirit of fairness and transparency, we are calling for an open forum where we can hear the full range of the community's concerns.

With this in mind, we have secured the Metropolitan Community Church of San Francisco sanctuary for Friday, May 31st starting at 6:30 p.m., which is located at 150 Eureka Street between 18th & 19th Streets in the Castro District.  We encourage all concerned to participate in this public forum that will be facilitated by Scott Shafer, host of KQED’s California Report.

We continue to be open to peaceful and constructive conversation with set ground rules but will not condone violence in any form moving forward. To ensure that community members have the opportunity to speak along with securing the safety of all attendees, we will have security on the premises.

Please also note that MCC encourages attendees to be respectful of their space --and their neighbors-- and to take their water bottles, coffee cups, etc with them when leaving.  The event cannot go past 9:30 p.m.

Comments

those who they aim to subject martially.... calls to mind a memory of hearing the then Berkeley Fire Chief lamenting to some compliant corporate scribe right around the time during the lead up to our Iraq War debacle that his firemen had to scrape the American flag stickers off all the firetruck windows because "otherwise people will throw rocks at us here in Berkeley." (I was told of this "fact" by my coworker who was taken aback by the rapidity and forcefulness with which my BS detector cut in on him.)

Posted by lillipublicans on May. 25, 2013 @ 7:54 am

The free speech minded city government had them removed. It was your co-nuts who had them removed, likely having nothing to do with rocks but their disdain for diversity.

Posted by matlock on May. 26, 2013 @ 10:52 am

Posted by matlock on May. 26, 2013 @ 10:53 am

intended: a nationwide talking point on how "pathetically anti-American" are the citizenry of Berkeley.

I don't get my news from the Los Angeles Dog Trainer(possibly © Harry Shearer) for this very reason. You can find a more accurate account in one of the local papers.

Posted by lillipublicans on May. 26, 2013 @ 5:48 pm

JFC. The choice of manning was solely made by a bunch of bored malcontents hoping to drum up some local drama SF style.
And success! All the usual suspects show up to screetch and pontificate on all manner of issues... Free mumia! Lets have a lawsuit!

I didnt even know that Manning was gay! Though I am sure that the thousands of young and questioning youth looking to SF pride are more than well aware of that fact - never mind that theres no way manning would have been in SF anyway! We never do miss a chance to prove how politically savvy we are do we?

Posted by Maldita fondada on May. 25, 2013 @ 8:57 am

Lucretia by any other name would still have the habit of speaking of itself in the first person plural.

Posted by lillipublicans on May. 25, 2013 @ 12:40 pm

Fool.

Posted by Lucretia Snapples on May. 25, 2013 @ 5:04 pm

Once again, your BS Detector detects more shit from Lucrapia.

Posted by Guest on May. 26, 2013 @ 4:47 am

Thanks for pointing out the digs. I agree. I can predict the outcome of this. I don't know why anyone would waste their time going to this thing. The decision is already made, against Bradley Manning.

Posted by Guest on May. 26, 2013 @ 5:02 am

Jason Grant Garza here ... Yes, I had to get in on this. Mr. Manning against ALL ODDS stands for the GREATNESS of this country. To dare to speak the TRUTH to authority and let his conscience rule.

Unforunately, the DISNEYIFCATION of GAYS has started ... we are accepted ,,, we are part ... ALL of this TRIPE. Can we get married in CALIFORNIA, do we have EQUAL RIGHTS, or will we settle for SMALL GAINS at the EXPENSE of our souls, humanity and convictions?

What was that about COORS beer in the 80's at the bars in SF? What was that about the BATHS? What was that about DOMA? Shall I go on?

Here's the BEST ... does ANY young gay remember what GAY stood for when I moved here in the early 80's? Let me spell it out for you ... GOT AIDS YET ???

So now it is ok and we are accepted ... so we should bend to corporate requirements, public views, and lastly military CORRECTNESS ??? This the same military that did NOT allow GAYS .... who NOW "witchhunt" whistleblowers.

I as a GAY person have NEVER had a HERO; however, at this point and after all that has been said and done to Mr, Manning ... HE IS MY HERO.

The fluff GAY PRIDE COMMITTEE is to me as a GAY man ... one of the BIGGEST TRAGEDY ... sold out, bent over and willing to do ANYTHING for their CORPORATE MASTERS ... a TOTAL disgrace.

As I said THIRTY years ago ... stop the BS ... if EVERY GAY refused to pay TAXES TODAY we would have our RIGHTS tomorrow ... and what was that I heard ... we have to work within the system ... small gains ...

So it can lead to this ... small allowances, small people caving, and small REWARD. Can we get married? I moved to SF in the 80's ... the GAY MECCA and NOW the GAY SELLOUT.

GOT AIDS YET ????

Mr. Manning for PRESIDENT, Mr. Manning for the NOBLE prize and Mr. Manning as a role MODEL. ( TRUTH, JUSTICE and the AMERICAN WAY ... oh, I forgot that is not TRUE either especially if you are GAY, truthful or poor ... the system does not want the reality just the ILLUSION to keep people submissive.)

Shame on the PRIDE COMMITTEE, SHAME on SELLOUTS and SHAME on the DISNEYIFICATION of the CASTRO ....

Posted by Jason Grant Garza on May. 26, 2013 @ 6:54 am

Why does no one address the obvious mental health issues with this particular poster?

Its very typical of how we deal with everything here - just ignore it...

Posted by Maldita fondada on May. 26, 2013 @ 10:05 am

Jason Grant Garza here to Maldita fondada ... if it is me who you are referring to as the poster with the obvious mental health issues ... I can answer the QUESTION ... go to youtube and type in Jason Garza to see over 125 videos of just HOW they have tried to deal/address me. The videos will show you lawbreaking activity, no accounting, and deadend go-nowhere leads designed to fail and tire and vex the HARMED individual to go away.

If you go to myownprivateguantanamo.com you will see a partial of the paperwork where the city BROKE FEDERAL EMERGENCY LAW, had my case dismissed with FRAUD and TESTILYING (C02-3485PJH) only to sign a settlement/confession admitting fault and guilt (4) years later with the OFFICE of INSPECTOR GENERAL. http://myownprivateguantanamo.com/settle1.html

So maybe Maldita ... I am DEAD RIGHT and a self-examination would show who truly has the mental health issues ... such as denial of the TRUTH, not researching before spouting off and lastly the INHUMANITY of NO CONCERN for those who are RIGHT.

I do however thank you for your LACK of COMPASSION, HUMANITY and CONCERN for the TRUTH ... however, I must point out ONE FACT ... that I as the VICTOR with the signed confession http://myownprivateguantanamo.com/settle1.html
GET TO WRITE the HISTORY.

So please Maldita ... PHYSICIAN heal thyself ... and cast your IGNORANCE elsewhere.

Posted by Jason Grant Garza on May. 26, 2013 @ 11:54 am

with your mental health issues as you post obsessively under your various screen names with content little more than wisecracks from the unruly student in the back of the class.

Posted by Guest on May. 26, 2013 @ 4:55 pm

Jason Grant Garza here ... to GUEST ... thank you for your understanding, compassion and support. Your comment on Maldita is SPOT ON. Often the TRUTH is obscured, drowned out by fools who DRANK the KOOL AIDE, those who think cute harmful remarks are fun and more often than NOT ... they do NOT use their REAL names. They are cowards hiding behind pseudonyms (look at this city example ... R.N. Ratched at the Sheriff's Office http://myownprivateguantanamo.com/C1.html ( and NOTE ... what was the CONSEQUENCE other than the good life, retirement, benefits, etc?)

Again, thank you GUEST. I find such little HUMANITY and am glad to see a bit again.

Posted by Jason Grant Garza on May. 27, 2013 @ 6:52 am

"So now it is ok and we are accepted..."

Well not really. We are accepted only by some people. A few months ago, I looked at the most recent states where same-gender marriage was approved and it was a pretty close vote, but that fact is usually not talked about.

Also, unfortunately hate crimes and anti-gay attacks against GLBTQs are rising all over the U.S. There was one in Manhattan the weekend of the 12th of May.

Search engine: Gay man murdered in Manhattan

I agree with you. I can't stand what's happened to the Castro.

Posted by Guest on May. 26, 2013 @ 3:43 pm

My partner says that at his gym in the Castro, it used to sound like a lot of people were there. Today it is "library quiet." There are people there but no one talks. They work out their thumbs. They text. They do reps and then text. Reps then text.

Then he was walking in one of the parks this morning and one person after the other was in the park texting. One woman almost walked into a tree while texting. This texting addiction is out-of-control (does anyone talk anymore?) and it's only going to get worse.

The Disneyfication of the Castro is a very good way to describe what has happened to the Castro and what is continuing to happen to the area.

Posted by Guest on May. 26, 2013 @ 4:32 pm

Your passionate commentary made me glow with pride and gratitude for Bradley. I so love this precious young man who represents for me unwavering integrity and love for his fellow man. We could not ask for a better role model for this morally-challenged nation that has lost its way.

Thank you.

Posted by Guest- Pat on May. 27, 2013 @ 9:15 pm

My BS Detector™ (which works exceedingly well on a consistent basis) tells me that this is going to be a bull shit event.

They need a "facilitator" for this event? As opposed to the SF Shame board members sitting there and taking all UNSCREENED questions and statements? Are they trying to pretend to be objective here? Who got Scott Shafer, host of KQED’s California Report, to serve as "facilitator?" This already sounds like some scripted event. If SF Shame contacted him/hired him to serve as "facilitator" how objective is he going to be? A "facilitator" (why is one even needed?) should be selected by a neutral party. I presume that's not the case here.

My BS Detector™ also tells me that the only reason this BS event is being held is because of the letter sent to SF Shame (whom I have zero respect for now) from Supervisor David Campos. They don't want their funding cut. I don't think anything will change as a result of this public relations' stunt event.

Posted by Guest on May. 26, 2013 @ 3:53 pm

people from attending the Pride meet up. For me the biggest hint is the attempt to take possession of BS detector; as though hoping to cause me a sense of chagrin -- as if I felt or had made some claim of ownership to it.

But why not try to dissuade people with Big Troll Lie #17?: "Only whiners show up at public meetings"

I hope a packed meeting demonstrates to these corporate lackeys the folly of *their* mistake.

Posted by lillipublicans on May. 26, 2013 @ 5:57 pm

Well frankly I don't care how it strikes you. If people want to go to this waste of time PR stunt, go for it. I couldn't care less who goes. I won't be there. I have better things to do than to deal with/talk to corporatist Obamabots (and that's who they are...especially Lisa Williams from my research of her) whose decision has already been made re Bradley Manning. I was just expressing my view. As for my BS Detector comment, not everything is about you. (And I can't stand matlock or any of the braindead trolls on here, and don't read the crap he writes).

(I support Bradley Manning).

Posted by Guest on May. 26, 2013 @ 6:57 pm

And you're the same person who wastes hours of their time daily on this site arguing with trolls and responding to trolls, and one-upping trolls and trying to change the mind of trolls. Are their minds ever changed? HELL NO. But you keep engaging in that behaviour. That's the definition of Insanity (doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result).

As far as I'm concerned the pride commitee is no different than a bunch of trolls. Their minds are made up before any meeting at the Metropolitan Community Church. So why wastes ones time with them when the reasons for this "forum" they're having are not honest and sincere?

Posted by Guest on May. 26, 2013 @ 7:07 pm

Brit Lying Guest = anon = bestemor

Posted by lillipublicans on May. 26, 2013 @ 7:20 pm

Troll.

Posted by Guest on May. 26, 2013 @ 7:46 pm

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.