Can't a guy even smoke crack in peace any more?

Okay: Yes, it's really funny that the mayor of Toronto, who is an odd guy at best, was apparently caught on a cell-phone video sucking on a crack pipe. Insert jokes here. Go ahead.

It reminds me, since I'm very old, of the last crack-pipe mayor, Marion Barry, who in 1990 fell into an FBI sting when a former girlfriend invited him to her hotel room to have sex. Turns out she was an FBI informant, and when she suggested they get high before getting into bed, the fibbies caught Barry on a secret camera. Didn't do much to harm his career -- he served six months in jail and was soon re-elected mayor.

In Ford's case, it's hard to see how he'd even get arrested. I don't know Canadian law, but a videotape of someone smoking out of a glass pipe isn't legal evidence of cocaine posession (hey, it could have been medical marijuana). At this point, there really isn't a crime. But already, there are calls for him to resign, and it's going to be hard to put this behind him.

The interesting twist, though, is that the person who filmed him wasn't a cop at all; it was someone else in the room, quite possibly a dealer, who was looking for a big cash score. Which could be coming -- Gawker is trying to raise $200,000 to pay for the clip. (Yes, you can chip in and help crowd-fund the further embarassment of a politician!)

Now, it's pretty likely that the person with the camera wasn't a good-government crusader or an anti-drug type. What happened here, it appears, is someone who is either selling crack or smoking it with Hizzoner then gets into not-quite extortion or blackmail (though he might have called Ford before putting it out on the open market) but certainly a setup of another kind.

I'm not advocating that the mayor of Toronto (or anyone else) smoke crack. It's nasty shit. But isn't it just a tiny bit creepy that you can't even sit in a crack den without worrying that you're going to star in a Gawker video?

What if instead of smoking crack he'd been fucking a woman (or a guy) he wasn't married to? Would Gawker raise $200,000 to see a mayor having consensual sex outside of Holy Matrimony? (Eeew, I don't want to see Rob Ford having sex, but you get the point.)

I'm sorry, trolls, but I have to admit that (like pretty much everyone I know) I have done things in my life, in the privacy of my own or someone else's home, that I don't think should be public (crack smoking, for better or worse, not being one of them). Never hurt anyone, so it's my fucking business. And it's kind of creepy to think that anyone in the room could be filming me now, for all of posterity.

From now on, folks, hide the crack pipe.

Comments

public position, then you should never do something in a public place unless you are willing to watch it on YouTube the next day.

OK, it's not up in the league of the current IRS scandal (which I leanred today started before the 2012 election - shades of WaterGate indeed) but it ain;t nothing either. Oddly, enough, I don't want my elected representatives sitting is crack dens.

Call me old fashioned if you will.

Posted by Guest on May. 17, 2013 @ 3:16 pm

The IRS non-scandal. Please! I'm no Obama partisan, but if there are two things I'm sick and tired of hearing about, it's Bengazi and IRS-"gate". Even Nixon's old aide Dean said that anyone comparing this to Watergate is seriously challenged in their history.

As for this, this is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard:
"And a "public place" includes anywhere where there are other people. So that includes smoking pot or crack, visiting a hooker, having an affair, committing a crime lying or anything else that politicians know they should not do, but strangely feel they have to do anyway."

Politicians are human beings with a need for privacy just like anyone else. Unless it's some hypocrisy where they're using the power of their position to hurt others doing the exact same thing they are, politicians' personal lives have no business in the political sphere.

And incidentally, that goes for people I disagree with. Had I been in South Carolina, I would've probably held my nose and voted for Sanford, just because I felt sorry for him because of the way the Democratic candidate was using his affair as a political bludgeon. She deserved to lose for that.

Guys like Foley, I have much less sympathy for, because while in office he spoke out against gays and made policy decisions harmful to gays, even though he himself was apparently gay. See the difference?

Posted by Greg on May. 17, 2013 @ 11:08 pm

People not smart enough to check out the people they do drugs with perhaps should not be in office.

Posted by Matlock on May. 17, 2013 @ 3:35 pm

The people of Toronto are obviously overreacting. Why don't you tell them about the benign and affable fellow who used to live down the hall from you back in the 90's?

Another view is, having a crackhead at the wheel of a major city is just not a good idea. And I don't think it's surprising that this came to light through the unravelling of a scoundrel's machinations. He wasn't smoking crack during a Boy Scout jamboree.

If this was a sex scandal, then people would be behaving far more ferociously. But, that's voyeurism. It's been essentially the same for forever. People want to watch other people have sex.

Posted by Guest on May. 17, 2013 @ 6:50 pm
Posted by Lucretia Snapples on May. 17, 2013 @ 7:15 pm

That's what I object to. Marion Barry -unless he was cracking down on casual drug users in a way that I don't know about -I actually agree with the good citizens of Washington DC for voting him right back into office. I don't really care what someone does on their own time, as long as it doesn't affect their job. I think we need to drop the notion that all drug users (or even people who aren't regular users but just experimented) are somehow automatically addicts whose functioning becomes impaired as soon as they put a pipe to their lips. So no problem on that front.

But this guy's different. He's a right winger who presumably is very anti-drug like pretty much all right wingers are. If he's been out there crusading against drugs, and now he's doing them, then the hell with him. Run him out of office, prosecute him, put him in jail with the regular population and let his new buddies have their way with him. At one point in the video, he supposedly brags about how right wing he is. Well, let him have a taste of his own right wing medicine.

And for all you trolls who want to tell me that I wouldn't be calling for punishment if he were progressive... in this case, damn straight. I don't like hypocrites.

Posted by Greg on May. 17, 2013 @ 10:19 pm

The Toronto Star which broke this story is the same newspaper that previously tried to set Ford up. The paper doesn't exactly have a clean record. So we are suppose to believe their story without benefit of the video to be examined for legitimacy. Ford has been a fiscally prudent mayor, really watching out for taxpayers. It is difficult as a taxpayer to be angry with a man who never charged the city for ten years of office expenses saving the city close to a half million dollars. Instead, he paid the expenses out of his own pocket. He raised funds for a high school football team and coached them. He has infuriated councillors when the public would call him for help and he would visit people who were not in his riding - to see if he could help them. He has been attacked non-stop, over and over and over. Why do they want to dump him so badly? So they can continue running roughshod over the taxpayers. They were furious with him when he published all their wasteful spending. We got to see how our councillors were dining pretty lavishly at our expense. Council has been a thorn in our side - and, as a taxpayer, I am pleased that Mayor Ford has been a thorn in their side.

Posted by GuestGuest on May. 18, 2013 @ 2:01 am

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.