Before you start griping about ovepaid Muni drivers and public employee unions, you might want to take a look at this neat-o map that shows who the highest-paid public employees are in every one of the 50 states. Hint: It's not a bus driver. Or even a cop or firefighter:
You may have heard that the highest-paid employee in each state is usually the football coach at the largest state school. This is actually a gross mischaracterization: Sometimes it is the basketball coach.
In fact in 40 of the 50 states, the highest-paid person runs a collegiate sports operation. The other ten are doctors running medical centers or, in a couple of places, college presidents.
Oh, but aren't those people earning their money by bringing in the big bucks? Maybe; maybe not:
In 2011-2012, Mack Brown was paid $5 million to lead a mediocre 8-5 Texas team to the Holiday Bowl. The team still generated $103.8 million in revenue, the most in college football. You don't have to pay someone $5 million to make college football profitable in Texas.
(Oh, and what's up with New Hampshire, where the guy making the most money coaches hockey?)
Most Commented On
- "David Chiu took on the - March 7, 2014
- I think that obeying the laws - March 7, 2014
- It's an interesting idea - March 7, 2014
- During Ron Dellums tenure I - March 7, 2014
- I'm quite disturbed about the - March 7, 2014
- Trying to read that was - March 7, 2014
- SVODZbKkmyQ - March 7, 2014
- Don't be glasshole - March 7, 2014
- No no no. Marcos thinks that - March 7, 2014
- Let's do a probable profile - March 7, 2014