The "mystery" of the homeless families

The Chron's having a hard time figuring out why there are so many more homeless families looking for help.

"It's been difficult to pin down any kind of trend," said Elizabeth Ancker, assistant program director at the nonprofit Compass Connecting Point, the group that manages the waiting list and helped find Bailey a shelter room. "We're really just seeing more of everybody - every demographic, in every situation."

No shit.

Of course there are more homeless families. The cost of housing is beyong the reach of even many full-time employed people, and anyone who lacks a sizable weekly paycheck is completely out of luck. When dozens of high-paid workers are competing for every single available apartment, there's no room at all for anyone else.

And more and more families are losing their homes to eviction as landlords seek to cash in on the demand for tenancy-in-common units.

Gavin Newsom calls it "the burden of success." But it's not a burden for the successful; it's a burden for those who are struggling -- and this city has never asked the winners in the economic boom to pay a fair share to help those who are being displaced and hurt.

The city's scrambling to find public-housing and nonprofit alternatives, but there aren't anywhere near enough places to meet the need. And there won't be, not for a long time, not without a whole lot more money. Building affordable housing is expensive and time-consuming.

The bottom line: In a crisis like this one, the cheapest affordable housing is existing affordable housing, and the best way to prevent homelessness and keep families off the streets is to prevent evictions and TIC/condo conversions. Why the Chron can't figure that out is anyone's guess.

Comments

Amsterdam is the same size as San Francisco and it makes the list. One reason why SF does not make the list is because its former glory has been pimped out by boosters and operators to the extent that they're killing the goose that laid what has now become a tin egg.

Posted by marcos on Mar. 25, 2013 @ 8:37 am

Amsterdam, while still a pleasant town, has gone downhill.

Both are make-believe type of towns, which obviously suit some people here.

Posted by Guest on Mar. 25, 2013 @ 9:43 am

The type of people that San Francisco now attracts are the same dull, boring, entitled types who think that the world revolves around them.

Posted by marcos on Mar. 25, 2013 @ 9:50 am

I prefer the judgmental, chip-on-the-shoulder types.

Posted by Guest on Mar. 25, 2013 @ 10:04 am

1) Stereotype people, such as Tim's "rich people are boring", into classes A and B.

2) Claim that class A of people is inherently more desirable than class B of people

3) Pursue policies that help A and harm B.

Identity politics writ large is still very popular with the left, even though Americans clearly are not sympathetic to it. It is based on flawed over-generalizations, class warfare and the politics of envy.

Posted by Guest on Mar. 26, 2013 @ 6:22 am

These people are not rich, they are temporarily enjoying high salaries.

I've worked in the industry for decades now and avoid suffering front end designers, marketers and finance people because so many of them who work in this industry as it has evolved have no lives and are inherently boring.

When tech workers become members of the herd, they are as annoying as ay other herd.

Posted by marcos on Mar. 26, 2013 @ 6:26 am

You routinely dismiss people based on their membership of some class which, in your mind, means that they share a whole set of traits and values.

If someone made the same over-generalizations about, say, blacks or gays, you'd be bubbling over with righteous indignation. But say the same thing about the well-paid, or TIC buyers, or republicans, and such stereotyping suddenly becomes OK?

I think not.

Posted by Guest on Mar. 26, 2013 @ 7:06 am

is that negative generalizations made *unfairly* against groups that have for a variety of reasons faced *historic* and *ongoing* discrimination when these groups are such that nobody can choose to be or not be within them is far different from the case at hand.

Is there ever any "there there" with this troll? No.

Posted by lillipublicans on Mar. 26, 2013 @ 7:52 am

not wash. any statement of the form: "All members of class A are bad, and therefore must be penalized" is the EXACT same reasoning that racists and homophobes use.

Shame on you for excusing Marco's trite use of identity politics and prejudicial discrimination.

Posted by Guest on Mar. 26, 2013 @ 8:08 am

Also an interesting list:

Latin America Top 10 Destination Cities by International Visitors (Forbes, 2012)

México City
Buenos Aires
Sao Paulo
Lima
Bogotá
San José
Santo Domingo
Rio de Janeiro
Caracas
Quito

Posted by Guest on Mar. 23, 2013 @ 3:03 pm

DF is one of my favorite places.

Posted by marcos on Mar. 23, 2013 @ 4:49 pm

Sí, Ciudad de México (Distrito Federal) is one of my favorite places too.

Posted by Guest on Mar. 23, 2013 @ 5:21 pm

The bottom line is that imbecilic rich people can make places uninhabiltable for everyone besides themselves. Utter loss of culture, utter loss of anything remotely approaching civilization. The question is, is this the kind of world people want to live in.

Posted by Deli on Mar. 24, 2013 @ 12:36 am

No rich person ever mugged me, or hustled me, or yelled obscenities at me in the street, or smelled bad, or pissed in the gutter.

Rich people have given me jobs, however - something no poor person has ever done.

Posted by Guest on Mar. 25, 2013 @ 5:48 am

Elitist trash.

Posted by Guest on Mar. 25, 2013 @ 2:19 pm

Homeless and poor and unemployed people are NOT want brings tourists, investment or business to SF.

Posted by Guest on Mar. 25, 2013 @ 3:26 pm

Your thinking (if it can be called thinking) is some of the most extreme myopic I've read anywhere in your hatred for the poor. One wonders if you call yourself a christian. If so, you need some serious education in that regard.

Here's what the rich have given us:

Wars without end
The Military Industrial Complex
The Wall Street Crash
Bailouts to Corporations
Drones
Taking away Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid (you will probably live in denial about this part but take some time off from trolling and learn something)

And....

There is not enough room on this server to complete the list. I'll put up with a little smell any day over corporate corruption and smug elitism.

Your hatred for the poor only speaks of the type of person you are, elitist trash.

Posted by Guest on Mar. 25, 2013 @ 2:57 pm

that tourists and business do not come to SF because of our underclass of homeless, poor and other assorted losers.

It is for success, that they come here.

Posted by Guest on Mar. 25, 2013 @ 3:28 pm

Again, what a piece of shit.

Posted by Guest on Mar. 25, 2013 @ 5:00 pm

business people come to SF because of the poor huddled masses, the homeless, the vagrants, the drug dealers, the hookers, the unemployed, and the petty criminals.

They dome here DESPITE THEM!

Posted by Guest on Mar. 25, 2013 @ 5:06 pm

Trust me, rich people LOVE drugs & hookers

Posted by pete moss on Mar. 26, 2013 @ 8:15 am

Suck the oxygen out the gay and progressive communities with an unnecessary effort to rename the airport for Harvey Milk. Campos has one goal in mind, with so little to show in terms of dealing with evictions in the Mission and the lack of affordable housing construction. Use Milk to win an assembly seat!

Posted by MPetrelis on Mar. 24, 2013 @ 9:32 pm

Quotes from Thomas Jefferson

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government"

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them"

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not"

Posted by Richmondman on Mar. 25, 2013 @ 3:06 pm
Posted by Guest on Mar. 25, 2013 @ 3:29 pm

The same Jefferson who owned over 200 slaves, said he would free them in his will, but then didn't. Why would I read anything that pig wrote?

Posted by pete moss on Mar. 26, 2013 @ 8:17 am

Useful info. Fortunate me I discovered your site unintentionally, and I_m shocked why this coincidence did not happened in advance! I bookmarked it.

Posted by bestessaysonly.com on Jun. 10, 2013 @ 10:46 am

I've heard many times in many places that you shouldn't live and die simply by the scale and that you should instead plot your daily weight on an average curve that smoothes out the daily fluctuations in weight.

Posted by http://essaysale.net/ on Jun. 11, 2013 @ 10:59 am

Good job. All of them are useful.

Posted by bestresearchpaper on Jun. 11, 2013 @ 11:34 am

I would lioke to see mor epost like this!

Posted by essaycollege on Jun. 14, 2013 @ 2:07 am

Wonderful story, reckoned we could combine a couple of unrelated information, nevertheless seriously really worth taking a search, whoa did one learn about Mid East has got much more problerms at the same time

Posted by essaysale.net on Jun. 15, 2013 @ 12:13 am

That article is so interesting and makes a very nice image in my mind. Thank you for sharing this info with us!..

Posted by http://buyessay.net/ on Jun. 15, 2013 @ 5:08 am

I just want to tell you that I am all new to blogging and site-building and certainly loved you’re blog. Almost certainly I’m likely to bookmark your site . You actually come with very good writings. Thanks a bunch for revealing your website page.

Posted by turboessays.com on Jun. 19, 2013 @ 12:59 pm

I just added your site to my favorites. I really enjoy reading your posts. Thanks!

Posted by order-essay.com on Jun. 26, 2013 @ 9:26 am

Its Pleasure to read your blog.The above articles is very impressive, and I really enjoyed reading your blog and points that you expressed.

Posted by online pokies on Jun. 30, 2013 @ 10:52 am

This is a very nice blog that I will definitively come back to more times this year! essaymarket.co.uk Thanks for informative post.

Posted by Zhezyu on Oct. 25, 2013 @ 9:08 am

I’m very sorry to hear about all of that! essaymarket.co.uk I would leverage other people’s email lists by creating a complimentary product to the one they sell.

Posted by Morgan on Oct. 27, 2013 @ 12:36 am