Gavin Newsom, author

Photo: SF Newspaper Co.

Oh My Freakin God, the Gavster has a book and it's called "Citizenville." And it's all about how government isn't  a vending machine and we should look to the private sector to do everything much better with a lot of technology. I suspect there's not a lot in the book about homelss policy or poverty or income inequality, since those can't be solved with an app. Check out the trailer. Gack.

Comments

points out the limtiations of what government can and should do, and place appropriate emphasis on the private sector which, after all, has to pay for all the services you deem valuable.

Posted by Guest on Jan. 25, 2013 @ 4:08 pm

The Gelman has political ambitions!

He doesn't understand yet the the lieutenant gov. job is a dead end street.

Posted by Troll the XIV on Jan. 25, 2013 @ 5:18 pm

I hope you're right. But tell that to one Lt. Governor named Gray Davis!

Gavin Newsom, author, is like George Bush, philosopher.
Gack indeed.

Posted by Greg on Jan. 27, 2013 @ 2:07 pm

Government is an ATM not a vending machine. In a vending machine, we'd pay taxes and get back services.

In an ATM, we deposit tax money and politicians like Newsom dispense it back to their supporters with the provision of public services something to be privatized.

If we did slim government down to the size where it could be drowned in a bath tub, then what would politicians use for mother's milk?

Posted by marcos on Jan. 25, 2013 @ 6:10 pm

Yep, couldn't agree more. If Politicians would take just a little bit of the tax money they funnel back to the corporations and gave it to under-funded service programs instead, maybe we could really achieve our societal goals.

Posted by Snoozers on Jan. 27, 2013 @ 12:34 am

Where do you think the money comes from in the first place? And, like the rest of us, if they pay for something, then they want to get something back for it.

Posted by Guest on Jan. 27, 2013 @ 10:49 am

You aren't supposed to argue that only *corporations* pay tax!

LOL!

It's #11!

Posted by lillipublicans on Jan. 27, 2013 @ 11:09 am

ultimately people pay that too, through prices increases that are passed along to the consumer.

Posted by Guest on Jan. 27, 2013 @ 12:15 pm

The *fact* is that prices are *not* set by cost of sales, but rather by what the market will bear. (Most of the time, anyway, with exceptions such as predatory pricing schemes as the SFWeekly was found guilty of.)

On some particular items, taxing corporations is particularly neutral or beneficial to the populace. Natural resource extraction, for instance.

Natural gas and oil are sold on the world market so tax-free status has done little benefit to the local economy.

Posted by lillipublicans on Jan. 27, 2013 @ 1:47 pm

is not the desired ROI, the business invests elsewhere, reducing supply and therefore increasing cost anyway.

Posted by Guest on Jan. 27, 2013 @ 4:05 pm

The seller eats expected profit if the market will not bear the intended markup. This entitlement to and engineering public policy towards some theoretical ideal market position is dependency at its worst.

Posted by marcos on Jan. 27, 2013 @ 6:26 pm

flows upwards in the aggregate.

Posted by Eddie on Jan. 27, 2013 @ 12:20 pm

Perhaps all of the taxpayers should go on strike. I know I for one am tired of seeing all of the waste of my hard-earned money that goes to scammers and cheats - from all walks of life - who game the system, cheat taxpayers and defraud the government.

Posted by Richmondman on Jan. 26, 2013 @ 6:46 am

The problem with your "taxpayer strike" idea is that taxpayers can't strike for ever. Eventually they'll go back to paying their taxes. That's when the IRS will start auditing the hell out of them. And once you're on their list, your on it for life.

Posted by Snoozers on Jan. 27, 2013 @ 2:04 am

It's not on the top of my reading list, but I do try to keep up with public policy. From the excerpts I have read of the book, I think SFBG's description is off. It is not an argument for mass privatization, but rather a proposal for more citizen involvement in government through the use of social media to make public information and other government services more accessible.

I would have to read the whole book to make a final judgment, but I don't really have any problem with the general premise as I understand it.

I never thought much about Gavin Newsom, except I occasionally found him annoying. That said, I think SFBG needs to give it a rest. He is long gone from SF. He now serves in a powerless and fairly useless state position. There are so many more interesting people to write about.

Posted by Chris on Jan. 28, 2013 @ 10:52 am

These subjects are covered as part of the on-line Aruba certification exam. It is assumed that all candidates for this Aruba certification will have completed Aruba's Implementing Aruba WLANs (IAW) course. For convenience, candidates are automatically registered for and administered the ACMA exam upon completing the IAW course.

Posted by sfbg Cert Exam on Feb. 19, 2013 @ 1:38 am