How many times have we heard that jobs are leaving California for Texas? How many times have big-business groups and the polticians who play to their needs said that lower taxes and corporate welfare make states more "competitive" and are good for the economy?
So look, for a moment, at California and Texas. Who has the lower taxes and the governor who will do whatever employers want? And who has the more robust job growth?
Just goes to show: Tax breaks do not a health economy make. What companies look for when the make location decisions is much more complicated. An educated labor force (which, by the way, means spending tax money on schools and colleges), access to transportation (again, a public-sector concern) and yes, a decent place where the executives want to live are bigger factors than things like the payroll tax.
That's what studies have shown repeatedly over the years -- and it's playing out now in CA.
Most Commented On
- Openminds - December 10, 2013
- Man i was interviewing at - December 10, 2013
- True, jobs have been moving from CA to TX for years now. - December 10, 2013
- An activist is someone who seeks to impose their view on - December 10, 2013
- Hey California, Please Keep it Up - December 10, 2013
- As a liberal and a tech - December 10, 2013
- More lives would be saved by cyclists obeying the traffic laws - December 10, 2013
- Apologize? Steven brags about publishing false information - December 10, 2013
- Well stated. I tried to - December 10, 2013
- Many activists also have an - December 10, 2013