Live: The vote for board president (UPDATED)

David Chiu has been re-elected president of the San Francisco Board of Supervisors.
GUARDIAN FILE PHOTO BY KEENEY AND LAW

Note: Follow @sfbg on Twitter for live updates on the vote for Board of Supervisors presidency.

UPDATE, 1:19 p.m. Sups. Malia Cohen and Jane Kim withdraw their nominations prior to voting; Sup. David Chiu is unanimously re-elected President of the Board.

Few people were willing to confidently make predictions about today's vote for the Board of Supervisors presidency going in, and even now, with three nominations in, it's tough to predict how it will turn out.

The nominations opened with Sup. Norman Yee nominating David Chiu for an unprecedented third term in the job, praising the leadership and spirit of cooperation that he's brought to the job and saying, "I want to see this continue."

Sup. Jane Kim spoke next, nominating Sup. Malia Cohen and saying, "It's been 13 years since we've been able to nominate a woman for this position." Kim also said Cohen has "demonstrated a lot of leadership over these last two years," and she singled out the importance of her representing Bayview-Hunters Point, "a district that we talk a lot of about."

Cohen returned the gesture by nominating Kim for the presidency, calling her "a tenacious, strong, vibrant woman of color." The last woman to serve as board president was Barbara Kaufman in 1997-99.

Wiener spoke next and thanked his supporters who urged him to seek this leadership post and said, "Upon serious reflection, I will not seeking the board presidency and I ask not to be nominated, but I would like to second the nomination of David Chiu."

Sup. John Avalos then seconded the nomination of Kim, followed by Sup. David Campos, who seconded the nomination of Cohen, effectively dividing the progressive bloc between the two women of color who had nominated one another.

"There's a certain symbolism about having a woman of color in that position," Campos said of Cohen.

Comments

COHEN !!!!

Posted by Patrick Monk.RN. on Jan. 08, 2013 @ 1:17 pm

Link exchange is nothing else except it is simply placing the other person's web site link on your page at appropriate place and other person will also do same in favor of you.

Posted by dumpster slus on Apr. 12, 2013 @ 6:17 pm

Three nominations is such a tough to predict how it will turn out.

Posted by Measuring Tools For Sale on Apr. 19, 2013 @ 2:38 am

Way cool! Some extremely valid points! I appreciate you
penning this post plus the rest of the website is extremely good.

Posted by scsluts.com on Apr. 12, 2013 @ 8:15 pm

First of all I want to say superb blog! I had a quick question which I'd like to ask if you don't
mind. I was interested to find out how you center
yourself and clear your head prior to writing.
I've had a tough time clearing my mind in getting my ideas out there. I do enjoy writing however it just seems like the first 10 to 15 minutes are wasted simply just trying to figure out how to begin. Any recommendations or tips? Kudos!

Posted by Van on Apr. 12, 2013 @ 8:17 pm

Amazing things here. I'm very satisfied to peer your post. Thank you so much and I'm taking a look ahead to contact you.

Will you please drop me a mail?

Posted by Misty on Apr. 12, 2013 @ 8:17 pm

Paragraph writing is also a fun, if you be familiar with
afterward you can write otherwise it is difficult to write.

Posted by http://mosluts.com on Apr. 12, 2013 @ 8:18 pm

I have read a few excellent stuff here. Certainly worth bookmarking
for revisiting. I surprise how much attempt you
set to make one of these excellent informative web site.

Posted by Cheri on Apr. 12, 2013 @ 9:36 pm

Hi! This post could not be written any better!

Reading this post reminds me of my good old room
mate! He always kept chatting about this. I will forward
this page to him. Fairly certain he will have a good read.
Thanks for sharing!

Posted by Franklyn on Apr. 12, 2013 @ 9:43 pm

Wonderful article! This is the kind of information that are meant to be shared across the internet.
Shame on Google for now not positioning this submit upper!
Come on over and visit my site . Thanks =)

Posted by lonely washington women on Apr. 12, 2013 @ 9:56 pm

Sophie Maxwell was nominated for Board President in 2003.

Posted by marcos on Jan. 08, 2013 @ 1:37 pm

I think Maxwell came close to getting it years ago. She got 5 votes on a few rounds if I'm not mistaken.

Posted by Erika McDonald on Jan. 08, 2013 @ 8:27 pm

You can't put the blame on them at all "Board of Supervisors presidency going in, and even now, with three nominations in, it's tough to predict how it will turn out."

Posted by Buy Woodworking Power Tools on Apr. 03, 2013 @ 12:07 am

Yeah, that would have worked out well !!!
Looks like more Chiu? Could have been worse.
Let's hope London Breed doesn't fall down.

Posted by Patrick Monk.RN. on Jan. 08, 2013 @ 2:15 pm

"a tenacious, strong, vibrant woman of color."

That's the type of stuff that turns me off about politicians. All of this ass-eating. The same thing goes on in the cesspool called the U.S. Congress (both House and Senate). It's much worse there. They refer to each other as, "my highly distinguished colleague from the great state of (fill in blank)" and other bull shit. And none of them are "highly distinguished." In fact they are just the opposite. They are corporate whores (no disrespect intended to sex workers). That's why it's a cesspool.

In any other job, someone would just say why someone would be good for the job, without all the ass-eating bull shit. They seem to have to pump themselves up to make themselves better than they really are.

Posted by Guest on Jan. 08, 2013 @ 2:18 pm

"Tenacious and vibrant" -how 'bout combining the two and just say "vivacious"?
What a load of BS. Basically they all wanted it, but no one had the votes except The Chiu. The least most acceptable mediocrity who nobody really likes, but everyone is more or less not completely opposed to.

BTW... I called it... like last year. The outcome was ordained as soon as the results were finalized for Norman Yee over FX Crowley.

Posted by Greg on Jan. 08, 2013 @ 2:46 pm

"Vibrant" has become such a trite cliche of late. Why? Who knows? Maybe because it carries a faint echo of "vibrator".

Posted by Barry Eisenberg on Jan. 08, 2013 @ 3:30 pm

A moderate board, San Francisco as we know it is more. Ron Conway will be the next mayor.

Posted by Guest on Jan. 08, 2013 @ 2:59 pm

He already is.

Posted by Greg on Jan. 08, 2013 @ 11:26 pm

An important characteristic no doubt - but hardly one which should give her a leg-up over the competition. As for "woman of color." Yes, I guess she is. Attending all those private schools and Boalt Hall certainty should help her sympathize with the oppressed of Malia's district.

Posted by Lucretia Snapples on Jan. 08, 2013 @ 3:32 pm

As it said in her campaign literature,
Her time is now!

Not later, mind you. NOW dammit!

Posted by Greg on Jan. 08, 2013 @ 7:04 pm

Greg, your comments are generally stellar, but you have a blind spot when it comes to gender issues. We (progressive feminists) have fought to have more woman included in positions of power for the same reason that we want more POC elected to the BoS's. It's not about possessing a vagina per se; it's about eons of discrimination and gender inequality. It's about opening up opportunities for people who have (historically) been shut out of the process. Or don't you get that?

Posted by Guest on Jan. 09, 2013 @ 12:47 pm

You don't want the 11 best and smartest politicians on the BofS (nor the 11 smartest legal minds on SCOTUS etc.)

But rather you want tokenism and faux diversity by picking people based on their identity group and not their talent.

How did that work out for you with Clarence Thomas?

Posted by anon on Jan. 09, 2013 @ 1:02 pm
Posted by Eddie on Jan. 09, 2013 @ 1:11 pm
Posted by anon on Jan. 09, 2013 @ 1:27 pm

I was watching the process on TV. Cohen in particular emphasized the special qualities of a woman that would result in better leadership.

The exact same stuff that, if said by a man about his gender, would create an insurmountable call for his resignation.

Posted by Troll on Jan. 08, 2013 @ 5:28 pm

Anyone can be the BofS head, as long as it is not a straight white male.

Posted by Guest on Jan. 08, 2013 @ 5:49 pm

David Chiu is the best qualified candidate. Thank goodness he was elected.

Posted by Marsha Hayes Walker on Jan. 08, 2013 @ 6:17 pm

You might just be the only person in San Francisco who would pick Chiu as a first choice for anything.

Posted by Greg on Jan. 08, 2013 @ 8:16 pm

If you read and talk to people outside of the SFBG bubble, many people think Chiu is/was a good first choice. In fact, I think the majority of San Franciscans prefer someone who is not entrenched in far, far left ideology.

Posted by Guest on Jan. 08, 2013 @ 9:31 pm

None of the supervisors is entrenched in far, far left ideology. Of course, your acceptable political spectrum appears to range from Atilla the Hun on the right to Generalisimo Francisco Franco on the left.

Posted by Eddie on Jan. 08, 2013 @ 9:43 pm

Nobody likes or trusts the Chiu. The conservatives, Ed Lee/Ron Conway included, prefered Weinie. The progressives preferred Campos. Jane Kim preferred herself, 'cause you know "her time is now," dammit! Malia Cohen also preferred Malia Cohen, because she's such a vivacious loquacious bodacious something-or-other.

The only people who actually wanted Chiu are Chiu and possibly Yee. And I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt on Yee.

But none of the others could count to 6, pretty much like I wrote here last week. So they settled on the devil they know will sell himself to any and all factions, the embodiment of mediocrity, everybody's third choice, the magnificent Chiu.

If that jellyfish is your number one choice, you probably have no spine and no principles just like him.

Posted by Greg on Jan. 08, 2013 @ 11:23 pm

him as the closest SF has to a kingmaker. And you don't mess with a kingmaker.

Posted by Guest on Jan. 09, 2013 @ 6:58 am

He's only a kingmaker because of his "unique" position as the one who is most willing to sell out to anyone and anything, not because of any unique abilities or talents (unless being a slimy weasel is a talent... well I guess it is in a manner of speaking).

He's only a kingmaker in the sense that Joe Lieberman was a "kingmaker." Nobody really liked or trusted the guy on either side, and as soon as the numbers in the Senate changed slightly, no one wanted to be anywhere near his stench, and he had nothing left to do but retire. I have a feeling Chiu can look forward to a similar fate.

Posted by Greg on Jan. 09, 2013 @ 8:57 am

single-handedly doomed the public option of ObamaCare.

Posted by anon on Jan. 09, 2013 @ 9:36 am

People with your cynicism and thinking are on the far, far left and get trounced every election. Truth hurts.

Posted by Guest on Jan. 09, 2013 @ 4:23 pm

Hallo, my name is Achim from Germany.
i want to show you a very interesting thing ;-)
I seen a brand new thing in the internet, an [url=http://www.liquidshop.eu]E-Zigarette[/url] from Liquidshop.
I think Liquidshop is one of the biggest shops for the e-cigarette in the web.

Can anybody tell me if this is a way to stop tabacco smoking, when i try to use the electronic cigarette ?
I want to reduce te nicotin and like to stop the tabacco pionier smoking asap.

Waiting for your answers, yours Achim from LA

Posted by achim on Jan. 10, 2013 @ 5:37 pm

Hallo, my name is Achim from Germany.
i want to show you a very interesting thing ;-)
I think Liquidshop is one of the biggest shops for the e-cigarette in the web.

I want to reduce te nicotin and like to stop the tabacco pionier smoking asap.

Waiting for your answers, yours Achim from LA

Posted by achim on Jan. 10, 2013 @ 5:37 pm

In it something is. Now all is clear, I thank for the help in this question.

Posted by Catuetnug on Mar. 16, 2013 @ 7:48 pm

In it something is. Now all is clear, I thank for the help in this question.

Posted by Catuetnug on Mar. 16, 2013 @ 7:48 pm

I think, that you commit an error. I suggest it to discuss. Write to me in PM, we will talk.

Posted by SewSnully on Mar. 16, 2013 @ 7:49 pm

Posted by SewSnully on Mar. 16, 2013 @ 7:49 pm
wow

Plumbing problems can be quite time-consuming most especially if your house is in Hickory Hills. Unlike some other piping systems in the world,

Posted by cargo transportation on Apr. 24, 2013 @ 5:30 am
Hi!

In it something is. Now all is clear, I thank for the help in this question Thanks!

Posted by cargo transportation on Apr. 24, 2013 @ 5:31 am

Moll pics:
Daily different pics

Posted by amberzz3 on Jun. 01, 2013 @ 8:24 am

The good news is our friends at RueLaLa constantly update their site with some of the best bags available.

Posted by mister wong bookmarks on Jun. 08, 2013 @ 1:31 am

Statistics show millions of same as unsecured finance, months security cost with no hassle along with hefts http://www.paydayloansuk30.co.uk First of all, the financing is being helpful for confirmation code credit so that you can will be higher than properly secured unemployed lending options http://www.paydayloansuk-1h.co.uk

Posted by Oqfrwa on Sep. 14, 2013 @ 6:05 pm

Nouvelle génération d'annonces gratuites sur Internet,decouvrez service annonce gratuit[URL=http://www.portail2000.com/]annonce[/URL]
Annonce pour particulier et et professionnels classées par thèmes sortie et auto-moto L'inscription est gratuite.Passez gratuitement votre annonce immobilièreFaire appel à Portail2000, c'est la certitude d'avoir le service qu'il vous faut .

Posted by Unduffhunda on Oct. 22, 2013 @ 2:23 pm