New school lunches: "awesome."

There's still a lot of controversy around SFUSD's new school lunch program and how much it's actually going to cost. But the early reports from Aptos Middle School are very, very positive. I received a text from my son today that says: "Tell the School Board that the new lunches are awesome."

Much better than the previous fare.

So there's some good news.

Comments

My son also approves. He had been avoiding the frozen meals (filthy tator tots, etc.) shipped in from the Midwest for years.

Posted by Troll the XIV on Jan. 07, 2013 @ 3:09 pm

I heartily approve and I hope the kids eating them do as well!

Posted by Lucretia Snapples on Jan. 07, 2013 @ 3:23 pm

Well now I know you're not the same person as matlock! He'd find a way to find fault with progressives. At least you can acknowledge the rare time you agree with the Guardian. Would it be too much to ask to actually give progressives *credit* for something they pushed? You do know that people like Eric Mar (he of Happy Meal fame) have been working on this issue for years. No, I suppose that would be too much for you to swallow.

Posted by Greg on Jan. 07, 2013 @ 10:36 pm

Greg, have you ever disagreed with the Guardian?

Are you a conservative on any issues?

Our are you Orthodox?

Posted by Troll the XIV on Jan. 08, 2013 @ 6:32 am

And I've said so publicly. I wouldn't call myself conservative, but I've disagreed with the Guardian. Sunday/evening metering, Daly's handgun ban, the recent Parks bond come to mind. There have been quite a few others.

Posted by Greg on Jan. 09, 2013 @ 9:01 am

not the School Board - he helps manage the budget of the city of San Francisco - not its school district. And encouraging children to eat healthy food is neither a progressive, moderate or conservative issue - it's one everyone can generally agree on while discarding silly excesses like Mar's Happy Meal toy ban.

Posted by Lucretia Snapples on Jan. 08, 2013 @ 5:03 pm

For a second, I thought I detected moments of lucidity.

Posted by Greg on Jan. 09, 2013 @ 10:50 pm

A school-prepared lunch is more expensive, and less healthy that a well-prepared home-prepared lunch. The US provides $75 Billion annually in food programs - not counting school lunches.

Posted by Richmondman on Jan. 07, 2013 @ 4:42 pm

Although I guess if they had tasted like crap, you'd have said nothing.

How is the extra cost of these lunches going to be met? Let me guess? Tax the rich!

Posted by Guest on Jan. 07, 2013 @ 5:09 pm

Even when the progressives do something unquestionably good, you still manage to find an angle to find fault.

I for one think it's great. I wish I had school lunches like that available to me. If we have to tax the rich so that kids can eat healthy delicious lunches, that's a small price to pay, don't you think? No, I guess not. You probably think it's better that kids eat garbage if it means that the rich can keep a few more coins hoarded away for themselves.

Posted by Greg on Jan. 07, 2013 @ 10:33 pm

So what cuts are being made elsewhere to pay for this?

Posted by Guest on Jan. 08, 2013 @ 6:45 am

I think the cost is de minimis in the grand scheme of things. If kids aren't nourished, they're not going to learn well.

Now let's get rid of outdated tenure laws, termination laws and last-in-first-out seniority policies so we can move the underperforming teachers out of the system. Giving teachers effective lifetime employment after 18 months is ridiculous.

Posted by The Commish on Jan. 08, 2013 @ 11:36 am

Hi, thanks for sharing.

Posted by used handphone on Apr. 11, 2013 @ 3:43 pm

Your website is very informative. It will be useful for all of us. You have completed a work. I will come here again to examine new updates. Thanks for posting.

Posted by artsandentertainmentarticle on Jun. 06, 2013 @ 11:06 pm

Even in our school provide meal on 3 days of week. And we always make sure that the hinge and quality of food is maintained.
-Johnnie