So let's get this straight:
Three lawsuits have been filed against the head of the Housing Authority. Some 30 staffers have complained about Alvarez to senior mayoral staffers. The HA even hired former City Attorney Louise Renne to investigate problems with Alvarez.
And Mayor Lee says he wasn't aware of the problems?
This is the kind of thing that used to happen under Willie Brown -- the mayor would hire cronies for top dollar, and defend them and brush aside charges of misbehavior. And I hate to see the same style happening under Lee.
Clearly, the two are pals, and I understand the urge to stand by your friends in public life, and at this point, we just have allegations -- maybe none of it is true, and maybe Renne will find that everything is just grand over at the Housing Authority. But the mayor ought to at least express concern.
And if this was all really happening without his knowledge, then his staff isn't doing a very good job of keeping him informed.
Either way, not a good scene in Room 200.
Most Commented On
- There was an "aggreived party", JW, and you said it yourself: - May 23, 2013
- I don't know who, or how - May 23, 2013
- Weiner - May 23, 2013
- You're not seeing many "moderate" posters here? - May 23, 2013
- No, Nothing Wrong - May 23, 2013
- Yes, IOW it's the NIMBY, anti-progress idea that - May 23, 2013
- Funny how you defend people who have to leave the city for - May 23, 2013
- I agree, but it's good to see Greg defending the successful - May 23, 2013
- You read wrong. I only said that I understand city policies that - May 23, 2013
- Not every sex crime on the statute book involves actual sex. - May 23, 2013