The first precinct reports are coming in -- just a few -- and they share Sup. Eric Mar holding and even expanding his lead in District 1. Too early to call it, but Mar is jubilant and so are his supporters. Joe Fitzgerald send this report:
If there was a loud and clear message from the Eric Mar supporters at his election party, it was that realtors and rent-control opponents can't keep a good progressive down.
"We're going to kick their ass," said Mar. "We're going to show that the anti-rent control, realtors and big business people downtown can't do this again."
Mar was talking about the barrage of hit mailers that have attacked him relentlessly in the past few weeks.
The residents themselves were fed up with it.
"I like to use two bags to recycle all this shit," Brian Hudgins, a novelist from the neighborhood told us. He was amazed by how Lee, an obvious moderate, targeted his liberal, progressive apartment complex.
"The mailers turned people off," Mar said.
Norman Ten is an ardent Mar supporter. Wearing his blue "Eric Mar for Supervisor" shirt, he said that as a scientist, he looks at the facts when he votes.
"That David Lee guy had offices and headquarters over on Post street. Now that's not even in the Richmond, now is it?" he said.
Chris Daly, the fiery progressive ex-supervisor even made an appearance at Mar's party. He saw this election as a particularly blatant attack on progressives.
"Its just like my 2006 race," he said. "But when progressive San Francisco is united, we win."
Most Commented On
- "Probably legal" - May 22, 2013
- Momentum building to abolish corporation tax - May 22, 2013
- So no refutation or serious attempt to address the points? - May 22, 2013
- Corn Yields - May 22, 2013
- That's your projection, not theirs - May 22, 2013
- Rebecca, the groups you focus on all appear to be left-wing. - May 22, 2013
- Farebox recovery is a dismal - May 22, 2013
- Thank you. - May 22, 2013
- BART is cheaper when you - May 22, 2013
- And waiting. - May 22, 2013