Politicians get a lot of shit, and they generally deserve it. But I have to say: After listening to almost all of the debate over the removal of Ross Mirkarimi -- and watching the 4-7 vote to keep him in office -- I was impressed by the supervisors who got it right, took it seriously and provided thoughful and credible debate.
Profiles in Courage Awards to John Avalos, David Campos, Jane Kim and Christina Olague. I haven't always agreed with all of them, and Randy Shaw said that Olague would never vote with Mirkarimi because his supporters were dissing her, but she stood up to immense pressure and did the right thing. Jane Kim was very lawyerly, but came to the right conclusion. Avalos and Campos were articulate and pointed out the problems with giving the mayor this much power.
David Chiu was a disappointment, Eric Mar even more so. I expected more of both of them. But Chiu handled a tough meeting very well, giving all sides a chance and showing immense patience. Credit for running the show well, even if he voted the wrong way.
But overall, an intelligent discussion with the right outcome. More tomorrow.
Most Commented On
- Big Talker: Your impotent - June 20, 2013
- Arrogant prick. - June 20, 2013
- Fuck the yupster invasion. - June 20, 2013
- I'm done with this paper. Tim didn't "resign". - June 20, 2013
- Get fucked. - June 20, 2013
- Was Bruce part of the - June 20, 2013
- H Brown with Chris Daly - June 19, 2013
- Oops! I accidentally - June 19, 2013
- A Tremendous Loss For Journalism - June 19, 2013
- Win what? - June 19, 2013