Weird homophobic attack ad from the Association of Realtors

Fake rally, fake issues, real strange ad

Gee, this ad that's up on You Tube, apparently paid for the the San Francisco Association of Realtors, is creepy, strange and a bit homophobic.

It starts with a bunch of kids chanting about sending "Eric Mar back to Mars" -- huh? -- where, presumably, there are still happy meals with toys in them, because I can't figure out why else all these children would be doing a political attack ad. Creepy element number one.

Then there's a fake news announcer saying that "thousands of kids" are angry at Mar, when I saw maybe a dozen in the video -- and they're mad because they "are being bused long distances to schools they don't want to attend." (Creepy element number two -- busing is a racial code word, even these days -- and Mar, as a member of the Board of Supervisors, has nothing at all to do with the city's school assigment policy.

Then we go to clips from the Daily Show making fun of Mar's happy meal ban (including a superimposed legend "embattled Supervisor Eric Mar.") Creepy element number three -- why is he "embattled?" Only because the realtors don't want a pro-tenant vote on the board.

After that it gets truly odd: The voice-over announces that Mar is famous "for suggesting that his meetings be held in the the hot tub of a local YMCA" -- while a photo shows three apparently naked men cozying up around a big flume of steam. Ah -- Mar is linked to a steamy male bath scene! Eeew.

"Our kids are right," the ad says at the end. But does anyone think those (very) young children spontaneously took to the streets to complain about a member of the Board of Supervisors? Seriously -- some parents clearly rounded up their kids and gave them pots and pans to bang on and created a totally false an pretty outrageous political hit piece.

Oh, and at the end, the ad hypes David Lee -- and again claims that "neighborhood schools" are a part of his platform. Fine, be ignorant: David Lee isn't running for School Board.

I can't believe the Association of Realtors really endorses this stuff. I've called over there to ask about it, but haven't heard back.

Check it out. Am I crazy, or is this some ugly shit?

Comments

But not as Bat shit as Mar is on the board.

Posted by Chris Pratt on Oct. 08, 2012 @ 4:08 pm
Posted by Alice on Feb. 21, 2013 @ 11:15 pm

Pretty great post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to mention that I have truly enjoyed browsing your
weblog posts. In any case I'll be subscribing on your rss feed and I am hoping you write again soon!

Posted by beste Rentenvorsorge on Apr. 04, 2013 @ 12:41 am

That didn't come out of nowhere. Tim, do you like, research *anything* before you write about it? Here is a link to it, from the Examiner, which your paper is affiliated with, yet you somehow missed... How? No idea.

Link: http://www.sfexaminer.com/local/2012/04/san-francisco-stripped-invasive-...

Posted by Guest on Oct. 08, 2012 @ 6:24 pm

Whether one is for or against a politician, they are rightly tempted to wish bad things to happen in your life for spreading such a massive lie. I read that link you provided.

Here’s quoting from the article (the author is Examiner opinion columnist Melissa Griffin):

#########
At last week’s Board of Supervisors meeting, Supervisor Eric Mar piped up to plug the 90th anniversary of the Richmond District YMCA. In doing so, Mar extended the following invitation to anyone within earshot, “Please support a great Y. Also, and please join me in the Jacuzzi and sauna when you can, or the weight room one of these evenings. … I’m serious about joining me in the Jacuzzi sometimes, you guys.”
#########

Now assuming you possess at least five brain cells, you know damn well he’s not suggesting any BOS meetings there.

Are you so lacking IN ANYTHING to hit Mar with that you have to resort to THAT CRAP? Did you not think that someone would actually click the link you provided and see that the only one who’s looking like a REAL SLIMEBALL here is YOU?

How the hell do you look yourself in the mirror and not throw something at that mirror when you know the person you see is engaging in this kind of garbage?

That is a great Y (it’s located on the east side of 18th Ave in between Clement & Geary in the middle of the block). That you would take him praising it and him saying, in effect “come on down to a great YMCA in the Richmond, have a great workout there, and say hi to me if you see me there,” and turn THAT into (your words) “Ummm, Eric Mar did suggest BOS meetings in the YMCA jacuzzi.”

God you’re a POS scum of the earth. You're the biggest argument and motivation for one to work as hard as they possibly can to not let David Lee get into office if you represent his typical supporter.

Posted by Guest on Oct. 08, 2012 @ 10:04 pm

Seriously, the YouTube ad is weird. I'm kind of amazed it has over 13,000 views.

But so is Eric Mar. The dude is pretty creepy in his own right. And from what I can tell he did not suggest a BOS meeting in the jacuzzi, but he did invite everyone in the room to join him in there... which is just fucking weird, lol.

But most of all, nobody should be arguing over this or getting that worked up.

Posted by Scram on Oct. 08, 2012 @ 10:31 pm

You called Mar creepy. On what basis do you say that? I've met Mar a couple of times. I found him to listen well to those talking to him (including me), to express his thoughts well, to be informed on the issue we were discussing - in effect, someone taking his job seriously. I didn't find him creepy. I found him likeable even though I disagreed strongly with a couple of votes he's cast.

He makes himself available every month to his constituents at a monthly meeting at a coffee shop (a different one each month) in the Richmond District.

When you say someone is creepy, that's a serious allegation. So you either have some basis for saying it (and puhleeeze don't bring up the McDonald's toy ban thing - you might agree or disagree with him on it but there's nothing creepy about him calling out corporations using toys to get kids to push their parents to buy them junk food) or you're just doing campaign work for David Lee. So what is it?

If you got a basis for callling him creepy that can be verified via a link, let's here it with the link provided. If not, then you've revealed yourself to be either a David Lee campaign worker or a lobbyist for real estate / property owners.

He had his head up his ass when he decided to go on the Daily Show but making a political blunder is not being creepy.

Posted by Guest on Oct. 08, 2012 @ 11:28 pm

I don't care. Like, at all. This isn't my district, I'm not a Realtor, I'm not a lobbyist or whatever else you're on, lol.

But yeah, "I'm inviting you all to join me in the jacuzzi of the YMCA" at a BOS meeting is creepy. Jesus christ, either you're pretending not to see this or your creepy yourself. I don't really give a fuck either way.

Posted by Scram on Oct. 09, 2012 @ 7:30 am

Thank you. This is the first really honest posting I've read so far. Do we in the Richmond district involve ourselves with supervisors in other districts of the city? It's incredibly selfish and entitled.

Posted by Guest on Oct. 15, 2012 @ 9:11 pm

Obviously you have never been to one of Mar's "coffee hours." He makes himself available for about five minutes, listens to his constituents, and then goes about totally ignoring their issues and following his own agenda. Folks, you don't know this man, you only know the image he puts out. Mr. Mar is NOT supervisor material. Put him somewhere in City Hall, but not as a supervisor. The district is slowly being destroyed by his negligence.

Posted by Guest on Oct. 15, 2012 @ 9:09 pm

Reading your posting, you're pretty nasty and spiteful yourself. Regardless of whether it was a Board of Supervisors meeting or not, it was still inappropriate and a little wierd. How many other supervisors do you find inviting their constituents into meeting them in the hot tub at the YMCA, or protesting Happy Meals nationwide and then later stating to the Entertainment Commission that they frequently stop by Jack in the Box to buy food? I find YOUR response to be a more than a little offensive... (and, by the way, what's a POS?) Again, I'm going to ask... do you even LIVE in District 1? If you don't, you might want to spend a little time thinking about why you're this invested... it's obviously a little TOO much, from the things you've written here. You have a bit of a nasty mouth.

Posted by Guest on Oct. 15, 2012 @ 9:05 pm

Seriously, Tim? You call this journalism? No mention that Mar actually did propose meetings to be held in a jacuzzi and additional categories for The Grammy's. Let the facts speak for themselves, we need a new supervisor in District 1. Also, as a gay man myself, I saw nothing homophobic or weird about this video. And busing as a racial code? Grasping at straws are we know? The Realtors are doing a fine job supporting David Lee.

Posted by Guest on Oct. 08, 2012 @ 7:03 pm

After reading the Examiner article, its pretty obvious that Mar was trying to plug the 90th anniversary of the Richmond District with a deadpan joke. So I am not sure why that equals a big "ooh, he's crazy".

Now, as a gay man myself, the video is pretty bad. Seriously, what does three guys in a steam room have to do with neighborhood issues like Rent Control, Public Transportation, and Affordable Housing for Seniors?

Where does David Lee stand on those issues?

Posted by Guest on Oct. 08, 2012 @ 8:08 pm

David Lee is totally gay friendly, and several of his staff are openly gay people. He was endorsed by the Alice B. Toklas Foundation. This is being so shamelessly manipulated by the pro-Mar people that it's becoming absurd.

Posted by Guest on Oct. 15, 2012 @ 9:14 pm

Thanks for the link Guest! It only proves how absurd it is to claim that Eric Mar called for meetings in a hot tub. He was giving props to the Richmond District YMCA on its 90th anniversary. To somehow try to smear him with this nonissue is beyond ridiculous. Is this all you've got Association of Realtors? Hilarious.

"Hot tub time plugged by board member

Posted by Guest on Oct. 08, 2012 @ 8:41 pm

"The Realtors are doing a fine job supporting David Lee."

LMFAO. Honestly, what kind of imbecile would say such a thing? Did you think your remarks would be take seriously by anyone? If you want to fool people on here, you're going to have to come up with a better ruse than that.

"Also, as a gay man myself, I saw nothing homophobic or weird about this video." Dude, you are so full of shit and hilarious. Give up.

Posted by Guest on Oct. 08, 2012 @ 8:47 pm

Sounded pretty rational to me. Your response is all accusation, with nothing to back it up to explain what you're talking about. Kinda full of shit to me... too uninformed to be very hilarious, though.

Posted by Guest on Oct. 15, 2012 @ 9:19 pm

Gee Tim, you call this journalism? I can't believe all the SFBG can do is grasp at straws. Eric Mar did propose having meetings held in a jacuzzi and additional categories at the Grammy's. Is this the person that we really want representing the residents of district 1? I am a gay man and saw nothing offensive about the hot tub scene. And the word busing as racial code? Seriously? The Association of Realtors are doing a fine job endorsing a candidate who doesn't have his head in the clouds.

Posted by Guest on Oct. 08, 2012 @ 7:11 pm

Gee troll, you call this a comment?

No one reading your comment believes you're a real person expressing a truthful opinion.

"I am a gay man and saw nothing offensive about the hot tub scene." I call bullshit. you're not fooling anyone.

"The Association of Realtors are doing a fine job endorsing a candidate . . " This is probably the most transparently idiotic bullshit I've ever read on the SFBG comment page.

Posted by Guest on Oct. 08, 2012 @ 8:32 pm

Mar might be guilty of only poor judgment there but he and you can hardly complain when people make fun of how "whacked" he is.

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 08, 2012 @ 11:49 pm

The Examiner video reveals you to be a complete liar. It shows that when you say Mar proposed BOS meetings at a jacuzzi at a YMCA, that you have to resort to lies to hit Mar. Mar was praising the Y, not proposing supes' meetings there you liar. Well when you got nothing, I guess this is the level you have to stoop to. It's sad when someone reduces him or herself to such a pathetic level.

Mar should be hoping you have an active role in the David Lee campaign because if the above comment is typical of your campaign work, Mar would be real lucky.

Posted by Guest on Oct. 08, 2012 @ 11:09 pm

Well, they raise my rent every year and give me nothing for it, so screw greedy realtors. They got an extra hundred and fifty grand just from our park and spent a few hundred bucks painting a clubhouse the Tenants had built, to impress the stupid. Wow, wonder if they could afford it. Raising rent Every year on fixed income people is just a way to drive them out so they can gentrify.

And why should greeders be allowed to destroy a neighborhood that has been there with people living there for decades? It just stinks.

After the recession, many greedy companies, like Silverking, bought up parks and apartment buildings using the very cheap loans available, from small businesses and private owners, and proceeded to jack up rent as fast as possible. This meant people who lost their houses to banks and moved into rental got screwed twice.

Property management companies can burn in hell.

Posted by Guest on Oct. 08, 2012 @ 7:56 pm

complaining that students are used as pawns.

Posted by matlock on Oct. 08, 2012 @ 9:27 pm

His idiotic whining about uber hetro Hustler club van parked in his neighbourhood.

Like many progressives he is a stunted man-child ethnic studies zero. Redmond's complaint here is that his childish whining isn't winning out.

Mar "spanky' and Tim "alfalfa" should get the rest of The Little Rascals together to do a fund raiser for soft science studies.

Posted by matlock on Oct. 08, 2012 @ 9:57 pm

Makes you look like you're not working with a full deck.

Tim's post is not a complaint that "his (Mar's) childish whining isn't winning out."

It's about the absurdity of the realtor's youtube post. And he's right - it is a creepy youtube vid by the realtors (apparently desperately pushing hard to get David Lee into office).

They can't attack Mar on anything real so they have to engage in something similar to that ridiculous sheep ad that Carla Fiorina's campaign did against Tom Campbell in her US Senate race (though compared to this vid, that one doesn't look half as bad - that was just stupid and unintentionally funny, this one is weird and, like Tim said, creepy).

Posted by Guest on Oct. 08, 2012 @ 11:44 pm
Posted by lillipublicans on Oct. 08, 2012 @ 10:05 pm

Interesting comments and ratings are not allowed on the Youtube chanel, isn't that a little too much of communism, or a Pro-Maoist point of view? Think twice about voting for Lee.

Posted by GuestDDD on Oct. 08, 2012 @ 10:08 pm

OK, maybe Mar didn't vote for that policy. But even so, he is part of a board that keeps bussing in place, rather than let children walk to their local school.

And he is part of a board that adopts a race-based policy towards school allocation.

So why deny that? And why object when someone poitns it out?

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 08, 2012 @ 11:47 pm

Like in 1954. Brown vs. Board of Education. I can't believe some people are still taking this position in 2012 in San Francisco.

Posted by Greg on Oct. 09, 2012 @ 12:08 am

I never said bussing was illegal. What I said is that:

1) SF practices bussing so we might as well call it that
2) Bussing exists to impose race-based quota's
3) Mar supports the current policy of bussing in SF

Lots of places don't bus, and allow children to go to a school near their home.

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 09, 2012 @ 3:16 am

It is correct that as a member of the BOS Eric Mar has nothing to do with the policy of school bussing. BUT as a member of the SF Board of Education he helped put that policy into place to begin with!

Also, it must just be a lucky coincidence, but I heard his kids went to Presidio. But it was just the luck of the draw, right?

Posted by Guest on Oct. 09, 2012 @ 11:42 am

Hi, Neat post. There's an issue with your website in internet explorer, may check this? IE still is the market chief and a large part of other folks will omit your wonderful writing because of this problem.

Posted by http://www.graphic-novels.com/ on Jun. 05, 2013 @ 3:19 pm

What did they do to get all those kids to smear themselves with dirt, wear torn clothing, carry obviously mass-produced signs and perform the loud anger-chanting?

Posted by lillipublicans on Oct. 09, 2012 @ 7:25 am

Wasn't that going to be your next outrageous suggestion?

Or maybe that Lee is Hitler reincarnated?

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 09, 2012 @ 8:04 am

protections for child actors.

The video was clearly shot in San Francisco. How were the children hired? Were they paid or did they voluntarily don torn garb, dirty their faces, march and shout angrily for the cameras?

Posted by lillipublicans on Oct. 11, 2012 @ 1:40 am

You liberals and your "racial code words." Actually, most rational Americans have found that an hour-long bus ride to a different school is counterproductive both to the student and the parents' work schedule. But, facts tend to get in the way in the left-wing world of political correctness and racial demagoguery.

Posted by Guest on Oct. 10, 2012 @ 11:20 pm

I doubt that more than a small minority of children have to ride the bus for an hour. But for the few who do, I would suggest they do what I did. I went to school in a city much bigger than 7x7 square miles, so unlike in San Francisco, an hour's bus ride was not entirely in the realm of ridiculous hyperbole. So I just did my math homework. When I got home, it would be done.

Posted by Greg on Oct. 10, 2012 @ 11:50 pm

So what do you do on the days you don't have an hour's math homework? Either way, a bus isn't a great place to do homework-- between motion sickness, lack of a work surface, and putting up with the distractions of the other kids, only the most dedicated kids will be getting anything done.

Not to mention the fact that it's one of the biggest obstacles to living well without a car.

Posted by Alai on Oct. 14, 2012 @ 7:08 pm

Real estate interests in San Francisco are aiming to take control of the Board of Supervisors by defeating Sup. Eric Mar—a strong tenant advocate—and replacing him with David Lee, a landlord who is getting over half a million dollars from real estate groups like the SF Board of Realtors and Los Angeles landlord Thomas Coates (Coates financed the 2008 statewide rent control repeal ballot measure). If they succeed, landlords will have a majority on the Board of Supervisors and they will immediately begin rolling back rent control.
The Association of REALTORS has sunk to a new low in their attempt to buy our City government and roll over rent control with their offensive, homophobic attack video against Supervisor Eric Mar
"Independent expenditures" by the REALTORS and other big money special interests flowing into the District 1 Supervisors race against Eric Mar has already reached $278,000, the highest amount ever in a district supervisors race
Combined with direct contributions to David Lee's campaign, much of it from the same sources, the total amount of funding to unseat Eric Mar has reached $557,486 and growing
The San Francisco Tenants Union needs your help to beat back this attack on rent control. We need you to (1) Know that David Lee is dangerous for rent control and renters, (2) Attend a Save Rent Control Rally at the Board of Realtors Monday, October 15, and (3) Attend an Organizing Meeting to Save Rent Control Next Wednesday, October 17. See below for more information.

Articles about the REALTORS offensive attack ad

Posted by Guest on Oct. 13, 2012 @ 12:56 pm

Where are you getting this information about planned attacks on rent control? Your posting has obviously been cut and pasted...

Posted by Guest on Oct. 15, 2012 @ 8:57 pm

As a gay man, and a reactionary one at that (I actually participated in the protest of "Cruising" and "Basic Instinct" years ago), I can see NOTHING in that two seconds that is homophobic. The three men in the sauna don't look happy that they're being joined by the viewer (the third is actually shaking his head in disapproval). Why don't we admit that what's really happening here is a far reach to pull the gay community into supporting Eric Mar in order to damn David Lee? Eric Mar is looking more and more like his real issue here is sour grapes. Take a look at how many David Lee signs you see in the windows in the District here, and then take a look at how many you (don't) see for Eric Mar. The Guardian is printing a lot of far-fetched, exaggerated articles because they've endorsed Mar. How long are the dirty politics going to go on?

Posted by Guest on Oct. 15, 2012 @ 8:55 pm

Look, the current policy on school assignment is not liberal and is not causing integration. Go to Alamo any day and write down the race of the kids there. There are very few black or Latino kids there and those there are mostly from the neighborhood (and are actually at a lower % than the neighborhood % overall, ironically, at less than 1% black and less than 5% Latino vs. the neighborhood being 1.5 and 7% respectively).

What is happening is that many white and Asian families from other districts have learned to play the system and get in and many from the area have not gotten in and have moved, gone private or have to endure horrilbe commutes and cross equal income people in a car, adding to traffic and pollution. The whites and Asians from Bernal Heights, the Tenderloin, the Mission, the Bayview, the Fillmore and other areas actually would make the school in their own neighborhood more diverse. They have manipulated things so they know they can put 25 schools and trade one.

We should guarantee every child in the Richmond the chance to go to school in the Richmond if they choose and only allow black and Latino kids from other areas to take spots in the Richmond. This was a weird plan by Parents for Public Schools, which is dominated by parents from around Noe Valley, to create a way where those who know the system can go to our schools.

You should be able to buy or rent an apartment or a house and have a guarantee you can go to school in the neighborhood, as you do in Berkeley, Oakland, Marin, Burlingame and 99% of America. We can't compete for educated upper middle class families to move here, people who spend more, work hard, without offering them a guarantee of a convenient commute to school.

Forcing a parent to spend 10-15 hours a week driving is horrible for family time, study time, budgets (gas is expensive). They don't offer to pay for a school bus, they make the parent drive their kid across town and not surprisingly, many leave.
Many kids don't sleep enough. They study hard, hope to get into Lowell or a good college, kids who should go to Washington are sent to Galileo, devastating their free time, which is next to zero for many high school kids who need a strong GPA, a time-consuming after-school activity and volunteering and clubs to have a chance at a good college.

Mar caused this. Mar put in place the lottery and defended it by lying and saying if Prop H passed, kids would switch schools mid year. He refused to take a lie detector test to prove he believed this would actually happen. He knew it wouldn't, yet he signed his name to it. He could have supported Prop H. He didn't, and families are still having their lives devastated and leaving our neighborhood. The dirty face kids represent children who would love to grow up in San Francisco but can't, whose parents move them to boring suburbs because they lose the lottery and their parents just don't have 10-15 hours a week to drive them and keep their jobs. It was a premeditated lie to defend the lottery, which can only hurt children in the Richmond District.

The truth is, only those in the Richmond can vote, and thus he will lose. No child was helped by this policy in the Richmond.

Posted by Fred Dobbs on Oct. 16, 2012 @ 11:58 pm

This shouldn't have been done this way, there are so many people unhappy about it, I would say correct it!
Chris Harris

Posted by WCIRB on Nov. 17, 2012 @ 3:06 am

Man, this city is embarrassingly provincial.
1) you have a hack "journalist" who gets fired up over a stupid ad and writes up his best attempt at defining a moment worth discussing: FAIL
2) you have a bunch of urban hillbillies frothing at the mouth over real and imaginary slights: FAIL

Do any of you ever look in the mirror and think, JFC I am not intelligent!

Posted by Maldita fondada on Jul. 07, 2013 @ 9:11 am