The worst archibishop ever

As they say ... Jesus!

The new archbishop of San Francisco isn't just a conservative. All the bishops appointed by this pope are conservatives. The new guy overseeing the Catholic Church in one of the most socially liberal parts of the world is a genuine culture-warrior, someone who (literally) says that same-sex marriage is the work of the devil and who wanted to make the use of contraception a mortal sin.

Salvatore Cordileone also happens to be the father of Proposition 8. The East Bay Express, in an excellent profile, noted in 2009 that he

has cultivated one of the most theologically conservative worldviews imaginable. Especially when it comes to sexual matters, Bishop Sal is conservative and uncompromising.

What I hear through the Catholic rumor mill is that the Vatican folks who screen candidates for these jobs gave the pope a list of three names. He rejected them all and chose Cordileone.

So now the center of the crazy-looney-here-comes-the-devil branch of the Church has a powerful throne here in San Francisco. What this is going to do, of course, is drive gay people, and liberals, and moderates, and pretty much everyone who's sane to question why they even stay in the Catholic Church. And maybe, as one gay Catholic told me, that's exactly what Rome has in mind -- get rid of the malcontents and the thinkers until the Catholic Taliban is all that's left.

I suspect Bishop Sal is going to have some problems in his new assignment.

Comments

in a god I wonder, why should the pope appoint someone who reflects the feelings of progressives? What a strange sense of entitlement. Culture warriors in SF complain that the other side has an opinion?

The remaining Catholics in the bay Area are probably a majority of Latino's who could give a shit about progressive ravings, the other Catholics are just that in name only. The pope could appoint a monkey, most liberal "Catholics" wouldn't even know as they don't care what the pope does or says. I doubt at this point even the majority of actual practising Catholics care what the pope is up to, they just go through the motions.

This may be news, but sadly the Catholic church is opposed gay marriage and a lot of other secular things, and oddly it acts on that, just as liberal religious sects advocate for their secular thing.

Like entitled right wing Catholics, progressives don't have extra rights to go through life unoffended. "Progressives" are also not entitled to have bishops of a religion they don't belong to appointed to soothe their sensibilities.

Posted by matlock on Jul. 27, 2012 @ 5:07 pm

Your arguments are strangely hostile for someone who describes 'progressives' as 'entitled.' To quote you, this may be news, but...the Catholic church is not a monolith and has, in fact, avoided polarizing confrontation for many decades. In Italy, Catholic Church landholdings not directly used for religious purposes are now being taxed; Italy and Spain both accept gay marriage.
It seems to me to be a rather heavy-handed ploy by the pope to seek to recover those Catholics--in SF that would be many many Mexican and Filipino--who have defected to the strict dictates of Evangelical sects. There are legion Catholics--some of my own relatives among them--who long for the days of Latin mass, multi-part Gregorian chant, and elaborate vestments...not to mention the 'basics': controlling minds, bodies, and member's money.
No one wants bishops who 'soothe' their sensibilities...but they do want bishops who can help Catholics and the church move forward instead of that quick slide back into repressive control. If that is 'entitled offense' then I'm awfully glad I've got it!

Posted by Guest on Jul. 30, 2012 @ 1:53 pm

I am so very proud to be a Catholic at this time in History.
The Holy Father made a wise choice in choosing Archbishop Cordileone.
It sounds like Tim Redmond certainly does not have his finger on the pulse of Bay Area Catholics, and is writing this article from a misinformed, under researched perspective of what Bay Area Catholics believe.

Posted by Karen on Jul. 27, 2012 @ 6:05 pm

The Church is making such a profound impact in the world. I too am so blessed to be a part of the Catholic faith. Archbishop Cordileone will lovingly instruct the people of the diocese of San Francisco and other areas on what God's plan is for their lives. We are so blessed to have such a kind, compassionate leader. I am certain that the people living in these dioceses will learn of God's great mercy and forgiveness and will come to love him and know him.
Catholicism is such a loving, accepting faith that truly promotes tolerance and respect for all people. There is such a shocking amount of ignorance about Catholicism. The modern educated person believe ridiculous things about the Catholic faith. I recently met with highly educated professors from Cal Berkeley who honestly thought that modern Catholics still pay indulgences.
These same people thought that Catholics believe the world was created in seven days. So, for the record, Catholics believe that the creation story of Genesis is a story to learn from .We do not take it literally. We believe both in Science and in the truths of the Holy Bible.

Posted by MaryK on Jul. 28, 2012 @ 8:48 pm

I am so very proud to be a Catholic at this time in History.
The Holy Father made a wise choice in choosing Archbishop Cordileone.

Posted by Karen on Jul. 27, 2012 @ 6:08 pm

What a great fit! The Holy Father is so very wise. I whole heartily agree with the previous post. Archbishop Cordileone is a the right choice for this war on culture and life.

Posted by Enlightened, Religious, and Dedicated on Jul. 28, 2012 @ 7:49 pm

Archbishop Cordileone will surely be a fantastic leader in S.F. I personally invite and challenge all Catholics who have fallen asleep to wake up and come back to our amazing Faith.

Posted by Pete on Jul. 28, 2012 @ 8:18 pm

Praise God to give us such a dedicated and gifted Archbishop. The Catholic Church is so strong in the Bay Area and is growing exponentially.

Posted by Gary P. on Jul. 28, 2012 @ 9:52 pm

Your website is very informative. It will be useful for all of us. You have completed a work. I will come here again to examine new updates. Thanks for posting.

Posted by communicationsarticles on Jun. 06, 2013 @ 11:23 pm

Seriously- why does it have to be a war?? The Catholic Church does not believe in gay marriage- fine- no one is suggesting that Catholic preists should be required to perform gay marriage cermonies. Why not stay out of seculr business? Which is exactly what Gay Marriage is a secular issue not a Church issue.

Why does the Catholic Church care if two consenting men or women who are not catholic choose to live their lives together and join their lives in a civil ceremony for tax benefits, love, etc? The only reasonable answer is bigotry.

Posted by D.native on Jul. 29, 2012 @ 8:24 pm

"no one is suggesting that Catholic preists should be required to perform gay marriage ceremonies." Really? That's exactly what is happening! The radical LGBT agenda is to break down the freedom of the Catholic Church to believe what it wants to, all in the name of "tolerance." It's a joke. If gay people weren't blatantly attacking the Church there would be no issue whatsoever.

Posted by Guest on Aug. 17, 2012 @ 7:56 am

Why would you say that the Archbishop of San Francisco was powerful? The Church is on the decline and actions like this just push it over the edge. We should celebrate this as we celebrate Scott Wiener's overreaching missteps.

Posted by marcos on Jul. 27, 2012 @ 6:23 pm

The Pope should be applauded for choosing Archbishop Cordileone.
He is the perfect person for the job.

Posted by Richard on Jul. 28, 2012 @ 7:56 pm

This is something which involves only Catholics and most of them don't give a shit either. Why is it any of your business what leader any religion chooses - unless you happen to be Catholic?

Posted by Troll II on Jul. 27, 2012 @ 6:29 pm

Catholics are an integral part of life in America. All Catholics care deeply about life and the Sacrament of matrimony which is between a man and a woman. Sounds like the above person is confused and very sad and takes a very nihilistic perspective on life.

Posted by Roy on Jul. 27, 2012 @ 6:54 pm

You're just pissed because Pope Benedict XVI has the courage to step up to you Fake Catholics-in-name only, and those who push for a liberal agenda in the church whose real intention is to dismantle the entire religious institution and preach a moral relativistic thinking of no right and no wrong concepts. Just because San Francisco is a city of depravity that doesn't mean there aren't good people worth saving. Even LOT, Peace be upon him was charged by God to seek at least ONE person who was willing to live a life of holiness. One can never be more proud to be a Roman Catholic in this hedonistic day and age. You may not like Bishop Cordileone but he doesn't like your Sin either. And neither does Jesus. GO and SIN NO MORE.

Posted by Graham on Jul. 27, 2012 @ 7:40 pm

He would have even loved all the thousands and thousands of pederast priests, bishops, archbishops and popes who raped and tortured millions of little children over the Catholic church's reign of evil in this world.

Posted by Ex-Catholic on Jul. 27, 2012 @ 8:06 pm

Loved yes, but appoved and endorsed sin? NO.

So you say Jesus did not speak about homosexuality, take the context at the time and there was no need to explicitly talk about it because the Mosaic Jewish law at the time already prohibited it. Jesus himself said, he did not come to abolish the Law.

But he did tell the prostitute who came to him and GO and SIN NO MORE.

Cherry-picking Christians like you really need to get a refresher course on the Bible. and the Catechism. Hypocritical ex-Catholic filling people's minds of heresy and deviancy.

Posted by Graham on Jul. 28, 2012 @ 7:36 am

It would not need to fear heresy. The church is not strong though - it is rotten through and through and now not concerned with the gospel but only in the maintenance of its own political, theological and economic power. In other words - it has become worldly, weak and unconcerned with the real application of Jesus' words other than to twist them to suit its own needs.

Posted by Ex-Catholic on Jul. 28, 2012 @ 12:12 pm

Dear Jesus loved Sinners,
Take the time to return to the church. The Catholic church is rock solid. You will find happiness, bliss, joy, and solace again. If you never had that as a child, go back as an adult.
You will find educated, cerebral, enlightened people there who are free thinking individuals who love God.
Go! Even if you think you will hate it. Go to mass one time.
I know you consider yourself an Ex-Catholic. However, you are not an Ex to God. He knows your heart. Read Psalm 139

Posted by Tom on Jul. 28, 2012 @ 5:19 pm

O Lord,thou hast searched me,andThou knowest my downsitting and mine uprising,Thou understandest my thought afar off.Thou compassest my path and my lying down, and art acquainted with all my ways, for there is not a word in my tounge but,lo,OLord,thou knowest it altogether.Thou hast beset me behind and before and laid thine hand upon me. Such knowledge is too wonderful for me;it is high, I cannot attain it. Wither shall I go from thy spirit? or wither shall I flee from thy presence. If I ascend up into heaven, thou art there: if I make my bed in hell, behold,Thou art there. if I take the wings of the morning, and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea; Even there shall thy hand lead me, and thy right hand shall hold me.If I say, Surly the darkness shall cover me; even the night shall be light about me. Yea,the darkness hideth notfrom Thee;but the night shineth as the day: the darkness and the light are both alike to thee.For thou hast possesed my reins; thou hast covered me in my mothers womb.I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made; marelous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well. My substance was not hid from thee, when I was made in secret, and curiously wrought in the lowest parts of the earthThine eyes did see my substance, yet being imperfect; and in thy book all my members were written, which in continuance were fashoned, when as yet there was none of them.How precious also are thy thoughts unto me, O God! How great the sum of them! If I should count them, they are more in number than the sand; when I awake, I am still with thee. Surely thou wilt stay the wicked,O God; depart from me therefore, ye bloody men.For they speak against thee wickedly, and thine enemies take thy name in vain.Do not hate them,O Lord,that hate thee? and am not I grieved with those that rise up against thee? I hate them with perfect hatred; I count them mine enemies.Search me O God, and know my heart; try me, and know my thoughts: Andsee it there be any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting. Praise God!

Posted by Guest 4th degree Knight of Colombus on Aug. 01, 2012 @ 3:14 pm

Thank you 4th degree Knight of Colombus!

Posted by Guest on Aug. 02, 2012 @ 8:03 pm

she know *aaaalll* about my downsitting and my uprising -- not necessarily in that order tho.

Posted by marke on Aug. 02, 2012 @ 8:36 pm

Because she is founded on the solid rock of Saint Peter... and the rest of Catholic pep-talk which you already know. If not, google is your friend.

In her course of 2000 years of history, the Church has seen Tons and tons of heresy. Some get recycled, others came newly about. But at the end of the day, the Nicene creed still stands. The Tridentine Mass still stands. You can say that it has diminished and you may even be delusional in thinking that Catholics are declining... but at the end of the day, the heresy which you gladly admit in your comment is exactly that. An un-orthodox teaching which you want to insist on the Church---which you mistakenly claim to be one of democracy.... it's not. So join the Episcopalians. They even baptize and give funeral rites for pets now. The people over there don't fear heresy, they WELCOME AND EMBRACE IT and all the while spit at Christ and traditional biblical teachings.

If the shoe fits, wear it. Heretic.

Posted by Graham on Jul. 28, 2012 @ 7:34 pm

I'll consider that. Now go find some Jews to burn.

Posted by Ex-Catholic on Jul. 28, 2012 @ 8:10 pm

Catholics love Jews. They are our religious cousins. My very best friend is Jewish. We have so much in common. Jesus was a Jew. We Catholics love Jewish people.

Posted by Tom on Jul. 28, 2012 @ 9:23 pm

Holy! Holy! Holy! Holy! Holy! Holy! Holy! Holy! Holy!
Holy! Holy! Holy! Holy! Holy! Holy!
The world is holy! The soul is holy! The skin is holy!
The nose is holy! The tongue and cock and hand
and asshole holy!
Everything is holy! everybody's holy! everywhere is
holy! everyday is in eternity! Everyman's an
angel!
The bum's as holy as the seraphim! the madman is
holy as you my soul are holy!
The typewriter is holy the poem is holy the voice is
holy the hearers are holy the ecstasy is holy!
Holy Peter holy Allen holy Solomon holy Lucien holy
Kerouac holy Huncke holy Burroughs holy Cas-
sady holy the unknown buggered and suffering
beggars holy the hideous human angels!
Holy my mother in the insane asylum! Holy the cocks
of the grandfathers of Kansas!
Holy the groaning saxophone! Holy the bop
apocalypse! Holy the jazzbands marijuana
hipsters peace & junk & drums!
Holy the solitudes of skyscrapers and pavements! Holy
the cafeterias filled with the millions! Holy the
mysterious rivers of tears under the streets!
Holy the lone juggernaut! Holy the vast lamb of the
middle class! Holy the crazy shepherds of rebell-
ion! Who digs Los Angeles IS Los Angeles!
Holy New York Holy San Francisco Holy Peoria &
Seattle Holy Paris Holy Tangiers Holy Moscow
Holy Istanbul!
Holy time in eternity holy eternity in time holy the
clocks in space holy the fourth dimension holy
the fifth International holy the Angel in Moloch!
Holy the sea holy the desert holy the railroad holy the
locomotive holy the visions holy the hallucina-
tions holy the miracles holy the eyeball holy the
abyss!
Holy forgiveness! mercy! charity! faith! Holy! Ours!
bodies! suffering! magnanimity!
Holy the supernatural extra brilliant intelligent
kindness of the soul!

Posted by marcos on Jul. 28, 2012 @ 7:10 pm
Posted by matlock on Jul. 28, 2012 @ 7:32 pm
Posted by marcos on Jul. 28, 2012 @ 8:11 pm

Please die.

Posted by Guest on Aug. 18, 2012 @ 11:18 pm

God Bless you my friend. Be certain that the Catholic church will always welcome you home when you are ready to come back.
How sad for you that you are perseverating on the actions of a few bad people, and are equating that with the Catholic church. You must be a wounded, hurting and angry person to think that the church's identity is effected by this. No doubt, you know that the Holy Church is much bigger than the actions of a few bad people. Keep the faith and May God Bless you in your journey back home!

Posted by Joseph on Jul. 27, 2012 @ 8:44 pm

Not the rich and powerful - like those this church stands with. Jesus would not have let this current pope or the archbishop wash his feet - they are they moneychangers he threw out the temple.

It is my hope you realize how misguided the church has become and work to return it to its roots - to the words of Jesus.

Posted by Ex-Catholic on Jul. 27, 2012 @ 9:09 pm

The Catholic Church is based on the words and actions of Jesus Christ. We were the ones who carefully collected and preserved his words, and the writings of the early Gospel writers throughout History. We live and breathe Jesus' words, and have translated the Bible from the ancient languages that they were originally written in. Please take the time to learn about the Faith of your youth. http://www.catholic.com/

Posted by Tom on Jul. 28, 2012 @ 11:22 pm

The Orthodox say the same thing.

Posted by Ex-Catholic on Jul. 29, 2012 @ 12:21 pm

Orthodox followers and Catholics are essentially one in the same, with only a few small differences.

Posted by Tom on Jul. 29, 2012 @ 4:59 pm

I am pretty sure Jesus did not live and breath pedophlia, indulgences, etc. You can try and paint it anyway you want, but the Church is run by humans and is there for subject to human error.

Posted by D.native on Jul. 29, 2012 @ 8:36 pm

I know the cynical people out there who are fixated on the sins of a handful of bad people in the Church make these generalizations about everyone in the Church.

However, the Church is indeed sweet and pure. This is not an act.
There is no painting it this way or that....it simply is filled with the grace of God and therefore, is a transformative place to be. I will pray for you D. Native. May you know that sweetness and purity of God and find refuge in Him. Take yourself to a Catholic Mass you will see and experience this first hand.

Posted by Tom on Jul. 29, 2012 @ 10:39 pm
Posted by marcos on Jul. 30, 2012 @ 6:30 am

for example- the condoning of child molestation by numerous bishops, men appointed by the Pope himself, who allowed the rape and abuse of children to continue for years by other priests.

There is also of course the systemic misogony by the Church. Only men can be priests and thus an all male hierarchy. Women religious are left to a support role and heaven help them if they don't toe the line.

Then there are the myriad of corrupt practices conducted and endorsed by the Church through the ages- torture and persecution of Jews in Spain, forced conversion and virtual slavery of native people by the Missions. The list goes on and on.

Spare me your go to to Mass stuff. Born and raised a Catholic and have been to more masses than I care to recall. Still go every now and then. Just realize that the Church is not as transformative a place for all. For me, I have seen and read too much to follow the Church blindly.

Posted by D.native on Jul. 30, 2012 @ 7:33 am

Sorry that going to mass has not been a transformative experience for you. You are the first person I have ever heard say this. I'm happy to hear that you occasionally attend mass. If you have attended as many masses as you say you have, then you no doubt have experienced some of the beauty and richness and the Grace of God through the Mass.
It seems like you are making assumptions that Catholics follow the church blindly. I am a highly educated person . I teach at a liberal State University. I have many, many years of University education, years of research, and an in depth understanding of History. It sounds like you subscribe to a very politically correct view of History. I do not follow blindly. I do not take offense at any of your posts.

People who think the church is Misogynistic are not seeing the huge role that women play in the Church. Some people think that Women need to hold positions of authority in order to be equal to men. This is certainly not true. Traditional feminists would not agree with you that the church does not like women.

Go to Mass with an open heart. I have no attachments to being "right" about anything. Don't listen to me, listen to Him. Life is short. Enjoy, and continue to hope and not dwell on the past. God in his goodness will guide you.

Posted by Tom on Jul. 30, 2012 @ 8:24 pm

"Some people think that Women need to hold positions of authority in order to be equal to men."

Yes- it would be so much better if the silly nuns would just shut up and do as they are told instead of questioning authority etc.

It sounds like you subscribe to a very politically correct view of History.

I do take offense at this statement- How is pointing out the sorrid parts of the Church's history politically incorrect? Are we just supposed to ignore little things like the inquisition, the crusades, the selling of indulgences, the systemic endorsement of child abuse by certain bishops and Cardinals? You claim you do not follow blindly, yet you seem to want to ignore these issues that the Church has.

Posted by D.native on Aug. 02, 2012 @ 7:32 am

And for the record I am a Catholic and think the Church is so wrong on gay marriage and so much else.

Posted by D. native on Jul. 27, 2012 @ 9:25 pm

Memo to Tim: It's not Bishop Cordileone "who wanted to make the use of contraception a mortal sin." Perennial Catholic doctrine teaches that contraception use IS a mortal sin, even though many flout that teaching. Contraception is intrinsically evil because it separates the unitive and procreative aspects of the sexual act, leading to a variety of other social ills. So, it's not Bishop Cordileone who wants to make it a mortal sin--it already is, and always has been, a mortal sin.

Posted by Ancilla on Jul. 28, 2012 @ 6:14 am

Sounds like the individual who considers themselves Catholic, but does not agree with the church on a number of it's doctrines may be what is called a Cafeteria Catholic.

Posted by Allison on Jul. 28, 2012 @ 7:06 am

Take the issue of gay marriage. Please explain to me how this effects the church. No one is saying that catholic priests will have to perform marriage ceremonies for gays. In fact current church doctrine does not even recognize civilly performed marriages,hence no annulment if you were previously married at city hall,got a divorce and ow you want to get married in the Church.

If the church doesn't recognize civili marriages why should they care if gays get married civillly? Riddle me that. My answer, pure discrimination and bigotry.

Posted by D. native on Jul. 28, 2012 @ 8:28 am

Just wondering here, but why bother then?

I freely admit that I see religion more as a club, it puzzles me why someone would belong to a club they don't really have much in common with.

Posted by matlock on Jul. 28, 2012 @ 11:43 am

Force of one kind or another is used to compel people belong to and support the church and/or follow its edicts.

Just as the high mucky-mucks in the Taliban garner respect and influence for themselves by making attacks on "infidels" and western ideas, the Catholic church's high command has a similar strategy for enhancing its control both over its political realm and its most devout members.

D'native, I'm glad we agree on the topic of gay marriage.

Posted by lillipublicans on Jul. 28, 2012 @ 12:30 pm

proclaims that independent thinking is a good thing?

Posted by matlock on Jul. 28, 2012 @ 7:46 pm

Sorry you are so misguided. Gays can by choice, live in sin, and have committed relationships, but this type of relationship is certainly not Marriage.

Posted by Rhianna on Jul. 28, 2012 @ 8:27 pm

Gay sex is only sinful if you do it wrong.

Posted by marcos on Jul. 28, 2012 @ 8:46 pm