Recology's slate cards

It's everywhere!

Wow. Every single slate card I've seen so far for this election has been paid for at least in part by Recology, which is fighting a measure that would require competitive bidding on its garbage contract.

The Richmond Democratic Club. The Teacher's Union. The SF Women's Political Committee. The SF Democratic Party. The Milk Club. The Alice B. Toklas Club. I'm sure there are a few more out there. And every one has a big "No on A" ad on the back.

The good news is that a lot of these mailers list good candidates for the County Central Commitee, and getting their message out to more people helps. And this is nothing new -- everyone looks to the people with money to fund slate cards, and Recology's spending a lot of money this spring. And I'm confident that every one of these groups took a No on A position before they asked for slate-card money.

Still: You look at the pile and it looks like Recology owns San Francisco politics.

Comments

How many of the slate cards are printed on recycled paper using soy-based inks?

The answer: none of them. These slate cards are such a waste of paper and how many people even read them? I don't. I put them in my recycling bin right out of the mail box.

One would think that in a city that pretends to be "green," that their political and environmental groups would be using "green" methods for political mailers/slate cards, or are they not completely clear on the concept? I think "green" printing still costs more, but it does show hypocrisy on the part of the groups and their slate cards to not use "green" printing methods....if they must send out slate cards/mailers.

Aren't most people on the Internet in the City or can get access to it (libraries or cafés)? Stop political junk mail. Isn't it rather outdated these days? Just go to a group's website to see their endorsements if one wants to see them. Just Google the name of the group and their website should come up with endorsements. No need for their junk mail.

Thanks for your article.

Posted by Guest on May. 16, 2012 @ 5:03 pm

I use them as make-shift place mats.

Also, back when Peskin was running I used them to paper train my dog.

Posted by Troll on May. 16, 2012 @ 5:19 pm

God forbid that we should have competitive bidding for contracts in San Francisco.

It would reduce prices, creating a terrible new precedent.

Posted by Troll the XIV on May. 17, 2012 @ 6:47 am

I saw their billboard even before I gave the issue much thought. My first reaction went something like this: Someone has a Shitload of cash if they can spend the money for billboards, not to mention all that other pervasive money. Usually... not always, but usually... the folks with that kind of money who are making that much effort to convince the public of something, don't have the best interests of the public at heart. And if they *need* to spend that much money turning the natural public opinion of San Franciscans, they're probably not too nice; because left to their own devices, when NOT subjected to massive propaganda campaigns, San Franciscans usually do the right thing. So I'm thinking you can't go too far wrong in voting against whatever position the big money's advocating for. Thus far, nothing I've seen since has contradicted that initial gut reaction. Prop A may have its flaws. I hear it's not perfect, but I don't think I can go too far wrong by voting yes.

Posted by Greg on May. 18, 2012 @ 11:42 pm

I want to start to all a great programm. Fail discuss it. Tumble to it on movie channel.

Posted by sawsabFrids on May. 19, 2012 @ 2:53 am

I want to introduce to you a profound show. Fail review it. Descry it on movie site.

Posted by dypefaifild on May. 19, 2012 @ 2:55 am

Actually, there's more going on here than meets the eye. Trash collection in this country is virtually a duopoloy: Waste Management and Republic are the two big firms, and there are just a handful of places, like SF, where a small, local firm has a foothold. WM -- which has a terrible environmental and labor record -- is trying to muscle Recology -- a local, 100% employee-owned company -- out of SF and therefore out of business. And since Recology has been instrumental in creating SF's record-breaking recycling rates, and WM has no interest in recycling or composting, you can bet that will endanger SF's recycling program. So Recology is fighting back.

Posted by Guest on May. 20, 2012 @ 12:08 am

Recology was and is engaged in all sorts of horseshit. Love their paid troll who is claiming they do God's work in the Devil's City.

Hope everyone who took their blood money chokes on it.

Posted by Guest on May. 21, 2012 @ 9:04 pm