I really, really can't figure out what the Chron's only local editorial page columnist, the conservative Debra Saunders, is trying to say. If I read her Feb. 8 column right, she's opposing the Appeals Court ruling on same-sex marriage -- and she seems to be saying that Mayor Gavin Newsom was wrong to allow gay marriages and that the whole matter ought to be decided by a statewide vote:
When the California Supreme Court ruled in favor of same-sex marriage, Newsom stood on the steps of City Hall crowing, "It's going to happen - whether you like it or not." Newsom didn't bother trying to win Californians over to his cause. He figured the courts would impose same-sex marriage on them. And then voters don't have to like it.
Again -- I don't get it. By the tone of her column, you could almost get the impression that she's against same-sex marriage. At the very least, she doesn't seem to fathom that some basic civil and human rights aren't and never have been subject to the will of the voters. If you asked the voters in Topeka, Kansas in 1954 whether the local schools should be forcibly desegregated, I think it's a good bet that segregation and racism would have won at the ballot box. Is she trying to argue against Brown v. Board of Education?
I wrote her an email and asked her to explain -- really, Debra, I want to understand, but I'm baffled -- and I gave her all day to get back to me, but I haven't heard.
Most Commented On
- AHfbaJyduxKe - April 20, 2014
- rIbttVoMzBxK - April 20, 2014
- tKdmZvDYZrCuaj - April 20, 2014
- Pls Help since without being there you KNOW what happened. - April 20, 2014
- pjaWCwyvEAnRuMK - April 20, 2014
- xFlHMxDECGtHLA - April 20, 2014
- lPpWoIgGbMSIsdgwg - April 20, 2014
- CRVqBMzWusQysfSqmS - April 20, 2014
- rloEFTjaUJYRxlc - April 20, 2014
- BrEbqAgKFCS - April 20, 2014