Not than anyone needs this kind of reminder any more, but more reports seem to come out every day highlighting the level of economic injustice in the United States. The Organization of Economic Cooperation and Development reported Dec. 5 that the United States now has the fourth-highest inequality level in the OECD, behind only Mexico, Chile and Turkey. Not distinguished company. Perhaps more important:
Income taxes and cash benefits play only a small role in redistributing income in the United States ... only in Korea, Chile and Switzerland is the effect still smaller.
In other words, not only are we among the worst countries on Earth for economic inequality, we aren't doing shit to change the situation.
Oh, and by the way -- San Francisco has the worst income inequality in California.
That's why we need Occupy. Because nobody else is making us pay attention.
Most Commented On
- And disagreeing with myself too! - April 17, 2014
- Ignorant troll - April 17, 2014
- The problem with that, Greg, is that when rent control - April 17, 2014
- Unimaginable and - April 17, 2014
- Whoa, Greg, are you now trying to throw us off the scent by - April 17, 2014
- Of course you would, Greg. You want city policies decided by the - April 17, 2014
- Times change - April 17, 2014
- Wait, Greg, I thought you loved central and south America - April 17, 2014
- Actually, Greg, the offices where we do elect folks are more - April 17, 2014
- So you're the infamous SFparkripoff who I'm supposed to be! - April 17, 2014