Bike Coalition gives Avalos its top endorsement

The John Avalos for Mayor campaign has played up the candidate's longtime connections to the bicycling community.
Ramsey El-qare

Back in May, I noted how mayoral candidates John Avalos and David Chiu seemed to be the only candidates courting the votes of San Francisco bicyclists, noting that the 13,000-plus-member San Francisco Bicycle Coalition was one of the city's largest grassroots political organizations. Since then, Ed Lee jumped into the race and also made a point of supporting and seeking support from the city's bicycling community.

After weeks of online voting, the SFBC today announced its endorsements, and they seem to reflect both the efforts of these three politicians and SFBC members' recognition of who's been working in City Hall on their behalf. They endorsed Avalos as number one, Chiu in the second slot, and Lee number three.

“By endorsing three candidates, in ranked-choice format, we are recognizing the leaders who are most actively supporting a better city through bicycling,” SFBC Executive Director Leah Shahum wrote in a message to members announcing the endorsements, also noting that there is an “unprecedented number of bicycling-friendly candidates” in this year's mayoral field.

Avalos and Chiu are both regular cyclists who have actively supported expanding the city's bicycle network and increasing ridership, while Lee has shepherded several key bike projects through this year and even called for improvements to dangerous conditions on Fell and Oak streets during this year's Bike-to-Work Day.

Comments

Did you clear this piece with him first?

"After weeks of online voting?" I guess the SFBG idea of online is different from the rest of us.

Posted by PaulT on Sep. 15, 2011 @ 5:16 pm

Neither Tim nor I said Avalos can't win, and both of us would like to see John in Room 200.

Posted by steven on Sep. 16, 2011 @ 9:49 am

"with Lee leading and only Dennis Herrera, Leland Yee, or Jeff Adachi exhibiting a credible chance of catching him."

So Tim seems to think Avalos has "no credible chance".

Posted by PaulT on Sep. 16, 2011 @ 10:39 am

Have you changed your mind since yesterday?

Was it the SFBC that changed your mind?

Posted by PaulT on Sep. 16, 2011 @ 10:51 am

Man Steven sucks, lol

Posted by Guest on Sep. 16, 2011 @ 11:21 am

As I wrote in my response on that item:

I didn't write or mean that Avalos has no chance of winning. What I wrote -- and I chose my words carefully -- was that only Herrera, Yee, and Adachi are currently "exhibiting a credible chance of catching him." There's still almost two months to go in this campaign, which is a long time in politics, and Lee's stock will drop as journalists and the other candidates expose his myriad connections to the corrupt Brown-Pak machine. The trio I mentioned seems most likely to catch him at this point. But Avalos or several other candidates in the race (such as Dufty, Alioto-Pier, Chiu, or even Ting or Rees) could find their voice and some stands that resonate and rapidly gain ground on the front-runners, particularly if the mud starts flying. In fact, I'd say Avalos has a better shot at doing so than anyone given that he's the only true progressive in the race and thus has a solid base from which to build. And as I've said all along, with ranked choice voting and a large field of well-qualified candidates, anything can happen.

Posted by steven on Sep. 16, 2011 @ 4:28 pm

You finessed your way from "(Avalos has) no credible chance of catching Lee" to "I didn't mean that Avalos has no chance of winning".

So, Avalos has "some chance" of winning but not a "credible chance".

We can agree on that.

Posted by PaulT on Sep. 16, 2011 @ 6:49 pm

Posted by Guest on Sep. 15, 2011 @ 6:57 pm

"Can we expect a front page story like this every time Avalos gets an endorsement"

First of all, where's your question mark? Secondly, have you seen a "front page story like this" on every endorsement Avalos has received up until now? Of course you haven't. So why did you ask such a stupid question? Third, why on earth do you think the endorsement from the Bike Coalition, with its 12,000 members, wouldn't be newsworthy? Fourth, the bike coalition endorsement was considered newsworthy by several publications beyond the Guardian, including Streetsblog, SFist, and Fog City Journal. Did you complain to all of them as well? Finally, sorry your candidate didn't get the endorsement, but grow up. Cheers.

Posted by Tseug on Sep. 15, 2011 @ 7:44 pm

Steve, I have posted a few times asking Tim for some clarification but he has not responded, maybe you can. A couple of months ago there was a mention of editorial layoffs at SFBG, including Sarah Phelan, however I notice she is still included on your Masthead. Would someone please advise your readers of the current situation and who else was involved in layoffs.

Posted by Pat Monk.RN. on Sep. 16, 2011 @ 7:58 am

We can't comment on personnel matters, sorry, but you might want to recheck the masthead.

Posted by steven on Sep. 16, 2011 @ 4:31 pm

I believe in his campaign video Avalos is wearing a helmet, signaling a commitment and setting a great example for protecting a biker's head. Why did the Guardian choose to illustrate this post with Avalos w/o a helmet? Helmets, like seat belts, save lives.

Posted by MPetrelis on Sep. 16, 2011 @ 5:17 pm

If Avalos' supporters don't even know the year of the election, he's even more screwed than I thought....

Posted by Guest on Sep. 16, 2011 @ 5:20 pm