Back in May, I noted how mayoral candidates John Avalos and David Chiu seemed to be the only candidates courting the votes of San Francisco bicyclists, noting that the 13,000-plus-member San Francisco Bicycle Coalition was one of the city's largest grassroots political organizations. Since then, Ed Lee jumped into the race and also made a point of supporting and seeking support from the city's bicycling community.
After weeks of online voting, the SFBC today announced its endorsements, and they seem to reflect both the efforts of these three politicians and SFBC members' recognition of who's been working in City Hall on their behalf. They endorsed Avalos as number one, Chiu in the second slot, and Lee number three.
“By endorsing three candidates, in ranked-choice format, we are recognizing the leaders who are most actively supporting a better city through bicycling,” SFBC Executive Director Leah Shahum wrote in a message to members announcing the endorsements, also noting that there is an “unprecedented number of bicycling-friendly candidates” in this year's mayoral field.
Avalos and Chiu are both regular cyclists who have actively supported expanding the city's bicycle network and increasing ridership, while Lee has shepherded several key bike projects through this year and even called for improvements to dangerous conditions on Fell and Oak streets during this year's Bike-to-Work Day.
Most Commented On
- Do you want your Ex back after a divorce - April 16, 2014
- READ THE BILL. - April 16, 2014
- No, they can't. If I was - April 16, 2014
- Economic reform is about money printing, not dispatchers - April 16, 2014
- I think you're - April 16, 2014
- Yes, anyone who files an Ellis 30/90 days after the effective - April 16, 2014
- Yes, after a while as a landlord, you develop a sixth sense of - April 16, 2014
- Of course, why do some tenants think that they have a lifetime - April 16, 2014
- LOL, Benito has had 37 years of stupid cheap rent and now you - April 16, 2014
- Maybe there are bad LL's, but so what? - April 16, 2014