So let's assume, arguendo as the lawyers say, the Johannes Mehserle is telling the truth, that he thought he had drawn his taser instead of his handgun when he shot Oscar Grant in the back. I'm not saying I believe him, but suppose that's true.
It's still an excellent argument against giving tasers to the SF cops.
So is this.
I don't think anyone, even the still-clueless BART police, would argue that Oscar Grant had created a situation that justified the use of lethal force. He was unarmed, not an imminent threat to the life of a cop or a bystander. But a taser is just so convenient; you can zap someone who is just a little unruly. It's a weapon that's just too easy to justify.
If Mehserle didn't have a taser, Grant might still be alive.
And I don't care how much training you give the cops: As we saw with the BART cop zapping the fare evader, give them a weapon and they'll use it.
Most Commented On
- drabiza helped me - April 19, 2014
- tqofVkihgbk - April 19, 2014
- Wiener’s resolution to study waterfront initiative written by - April 19, 2014
- A GREAT SPELL CASTER THAT HELP ME WITH MY FAMILY ISSUES - April 19, 2014
- And you can't get past your - April 19, 2014
- That is what the city is saying - April 19, 2014
- We as in who the hell u think - April 19, 2014
- N who r u Really?? - April 19, 2014
- What political BS who gives a - April 19, 2014
- Life is beautiful. Let's go - April 19, 2014