Newsom’s opponent Hahn calls for LA boycott of Arizona

His AZ status? "It's complicated."
SFgov.org

The Arizona legislation that has sparked fury nationwide and even prompted City Attorney Dennis Herrera to call for a boycott of all things Arizona has also served to highlight a difference in opinion between Mayor Gavin Newsom and his opponent in the Lieutenant Governor's race, Los Angeles City Councilwoman Janice Hahn.

In a Chronicle story today, Newsom took a murky stance on the Arizona boycott idea:

“Newsom argued that a total boycott of Arizona businesses could bring the city a wide range of problems that haven't even been considered. ‘The notion of boycotting a state and every business that does business in the state is an extraordinarily complicated matter,’ he warned.”

To Hahn, the matter isn’t so complicated. According to a press release we received from her campaign:

“In response to newly-enacted legislation in Arizona which will require immigrants to carry documents about their immigration status at all times, and will allow police officers to question residents about their immigration status, today, Councilwoman Janice Hahn will introduce a resolution calling on the City of Los Angeles to boycott the State of Arizona. The resolution will call for Los Angeles, and all of its departments, to end any and all contracts with Arizona-based companies and to stop doing business with the state.”

Comments

I think the City of Los Angeles has enough problems of its own. Janice Hahn should focus her attention on issues in LA not Arizona. Our city, not to mention our state is going to crap. Rates are going up, politicians can't interpret a contract, the mayor is a union pandering puppet. We need to wake up and throw all these idiots out of office and start over.

Posted by Guest Ret11BX on Apr. 27, 2010 @ 5:28 pm

Well at least Janice Hahn is not bobbing and weaving and undecided and sitting on the fence. She's taken a decisive position on this issue. Gracias. One would have expected her comments to come from a mayor of PROGRESSIVE San Francisco. But no. These days, one doesn't have actually BE progressive, one can just pretend to be progressive for show and image purposes and call yourself a progressive whether you are or not. I see there are protests in other cities against this nonsense in AZ, but to my knowledge no protests here in PROGRESSIVE San Francisco.

Smug and arrogant fence-straddler Newsom must have one sore ass from sitting on that damn fence and not being able to decide what direction the political wind is blowing in to best serve him politically and his next "career" job. That's what this is really about but of course his spokesliar would say that's not true whatsoever. Typical. He's been trying to change his image and becoming more regressive/right-wing to cater to whomever he's trying to bait to vote for him. I've never voted for him. He reminds me of the so-called "moderates." The ones who are perpetually sitting on the fence and can't decide what they think on much of anything. They weave and sway back and forth on that fence in limbo.

The more I see from this opportunistic Newsom, the more I think that his actions on the same gender marriage issue were done purely for political reasons. And some of the things accomplished of a progressive nature during his term were initiated by other people (members of the Board of Supervisors). But he takes credit for them.

Newsom: Either shit or get off the damn pot!

Posted by Sam on Apr. 27, 2010 @ 5:53 pm

Newsom never said he was progressive.

China is communist and so is Cuba,

Adios Sam!!

Posted by Guest on Apr. 27, 2010 @ 8:40 pm

I was surprised to hear that Dennis Herrera, San Francisco City Attorney, had condemned the actions taken in Arizona. Now, if I remember correctly, Herrera has been in favor of deporting immigrant youth who are arrested in San Francisco, without allowing them so much as a trial in juvenile court. So, how can Herrera condemn Arizona? Unless I missed something somewhere, this is the height of hypocrisy. Once San Francisco decided to change its "Sanctuary City" policy to conform to Newsom's political ambitions, I lost all respect for the concept of San Francisco as a Sanctuary City. How can the City of San Francisco condemn Arizona if we are also depriving immigrant children of THEIR civil rights?

Posted by Guest on Apr. 27, 2010 @ 9:32 pm

This is our city, a PROGRESSIVE city for all the PROGRESSIVE people here!

Posted by Guest on Apr. 27, 2010 @ 9:56 pm

This is nuts. A revolution? Crazy talk. The feds need to step in. And dumbass protesters need to read the law before they start claiming this is a civil rights issue. I'm a peaceful person. I have no issues of race. But I do have issues of ILLEGAL immigrants screwing up our country. Uninsured drivers on the road. Using the services of this country without paying taxes. Taking money out of the country instead of putting it into the community where they reside. Come on... These are all bad things, right? Am I wrong?

Posted by Guest/Legal Citizen with no worries because he is legal on Apr. 27, 2010 @ 10:36 pm

While illegals may not be insured, most all of them do pay taxes as far as work goes.

Posted by Guest on Apr. 08, 2011 @ 9:57 am

I was on another forum earlier and some willfully ignorant person was talking about how undocumented workers were messing up this nation. Sigh. They tried to dehumanize the migrant workers by referring to the workers as "illegal" and "aliens." Despicable language. I proceeded to tell this willfully ignorant person that the undocumented immigrants are not responsible for this nation being in the state it's in. The undocumented immigrants unfortunately are being being scapegoated by willfully ignorant people who need someone to hate. The reason the nation is screwed up is because millions and millions of jobs from this nation are now being worked by people over in China and India. Of course that fact is never brought up when people are hating on undocumented immigrants. The millions of jobs over in China and India are not coming back. And outsourcing (as it's called) is rapidly *increasing.* That has absolutely nothing to do with undocumented immigrants and migrant workers. In addition, the bailout to the banks has nothing to do with undocumented immigrants and I could go with things such as NAFTA under Clinton and so on. And it should be pointed out that undocumented immigrants/migrant workers pay taxes every time they buy something, for example, just like documented workers do. It's called sales tax. And who the hell cares what migrant workers do with the money THEY earn? It is THEIR money. If they need to send THEIR money out of this nation to help their family in another nation---the same thing any caring human being would do in their same situation---they have every right to do so. It is THEIR money. Why would anyone care what someone else does with THEIR money? Duh.

No human being is "illegal" or an "alien." And I thank all immigrants for their many contributions to this nation of immigrants. I thank them whether they are undocumented or documented. To them I say: Muchísimas gracias. If one is not a direct descendant of the Native Americans, YOU are "illegal" (to use the word that the haters/Nazis love to use) too whether you were born here or not. Undocumented immigrants are not at all the reason this nation is crumbing and in the state it's in. Listening to the haters, this nation should immediately ship the Statue of Liberty back to France and tell them to melt the thing down and recycle what's left because the Statue of Liberty means absolutely nothing to many people in this nation any longer. The words on it are meaningless to many (most?) people.

And what goes around comes around. Should a large part of this nation need to be evacuated some day because of a super volcano erupting (maybe Yellowstone?), and large segments of the population are forced to leave, where will they go? How dare the Nazis try to go to México because then they would be hypocrites because they would be "illegal" (there's that word again that they masturbate over) in México. So of course they wouldn't dream of going to México. What's left? Canada? Well the Nazis couldn't go there either because they would be "illegal" (there is their favorite word again) there too, and the Nazis would be hypocrites if they tried to go to Canada. So where the hell would these Nazis/haters go?
I guess they will just stay here in this nation and rot while they're having dreams about "illegal aliens." And I suspect that many of these Nazis/haters pretend to be a "christian." More hypocrisy.

Posted by Sam on Apr. 28, 2010 @ 12:18 am

What a pathetic little man you are to equate Nazis with Christians...Why don't you just throw us all to the lions like Nero did...and by the way...fill the stands with the Mexican drug cartels because they are the only ones who'll be able to afford the ticket. Our sovereignty is at stake here! If you want a one world government...sit back and watch...it's coming. And if you like that idea...go watch the movie 1984...it might just fill your ignorant head with at least another take that would at least give you some credible grounds for your decision. Better yet...lets just let everyone come into our country...I don't care if they are citizens or not...we should all be able to live together in peace don't you think? Oh but I forgot there is a little thing called human flaw...that's right...greed...envy...corruption...personal power...status...racism etc...etc...etc. Fella...you can't legislate morality...you can only foster it with the intangible items such as faith...hope...and love...all of which are part of a Christian ideal...but of course you can't ground yourself in that thought..."God forbid"...but wait...I'm sorry...you and people like you have thrown all the Christians to the lions...so now we have "amorality running amuck"! Welcome to 1984...hope ya like the change!!

Posted by Thomas Jefferson wrote in vain! on Apr. 28, 2010 @ 11:35 am

I was on another forum earlier today and I wrote that I suspected that many of these Nazis/haters who are hating on undocumented immigrants/migrant workers also pretend to be a christian. Well, some of the willfully-ignorant rabid haters got their bowels in an uproar over my statement. The problem is that many people can't bear to hear the truth, especially when they themselves *claim* to be a christian but don't at all practice the "teachings of jesus" in their everyday lives by their words and actions. They are Hypocrites. So I urged them to Google:

"german nazis, christians" and see what they find. Start at the top of Google's list by reading and comprehending. One might just learn something. For example:

German Christians
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Excerpt: The German Christians (German: Deutsche Christen) were a pressure group and movement within German Protestantism aligned towards the antisemitic and Führerprinzip ideological principles of Nazism with the goal to align German Protestantism as a whole towards those principles. Their advocacy of these principles led to a schism within the German Protestant church and the attendant foundation of the rival Confessing Church in Germany.

OR

From About.com:

Adolf Hitler & Christian Nationalism:
Excerpt: A popular image of the Nazis is that they were fundamentally anti-Christian while devout Christians were anti-Nazi. The truth is that German Christians supported the Nazis because they believed that Adolf Hitler was a gift to the German people from God. German Christianity was a divinely sanctioned religious movement which combined Christian doctrine and German character in a unique and desirable manner: True Christianity was German and True German-ness was Christian.

Posted by Sam on Apr. 28, 2010 @ 1:08 pm

who say NAZI's were Guardian like liberal socialists.

Posted by glen matlock on Apr. 28, 2010 @ 6:52 pm

Dear Sam

Sir you are clearly a world class wacko, very narrow minded wacko. That compares apples to oranges. Learn your history for one and I'm not referring to "Wikipedia" . If you are going to make broad statements know your facts and stop with the grade school comparisons. You have no idea of what Nazis were. One thing is, most Nazis were in fact atheist NOT Christian. Many more examples of the truth if you care to study. your ignorance is an example of why this great Nation is falling to the way-side. Not because of Christianity.

I was up until nearly 3 am reading over a dozen and half articles from dozen and half different Web sites. Most of which were sponsored by Liberal news organizations all on the same band wagon. However, each and everyone had their own same poll question, do you agree or disagree. And from coast to coast the over well nigh majority of America voted 90+% in favor of AZ. Governor.

I commend Her and the AZ citizens. After all the Federal Govmt. has failed.

Also the Bill passed, is Legally sound and will stand Constitutional mustard.

Posted by Guest on Apr. 28, 2010 @ 10:21 pm

OK guys -- enough with the hitler stuff ... if this debate keeps goping nowhere I'm closing the comments. Please only contribute to the subject posted, thanks.  This isn't a college bull session.

Posted by marke on Apr. 28, 2010 @ 1:29 pm

Marke,

If you haven't noticed, the article is about the issue in AZ and that's what I was talking about in my comments, including the "Hitler stuff" as you call it. It is quite relevant, if you have been paying any attention at all lately and reading your own articles and other relevant articles on other sites. Do your homework before complaining about people's comments. Do the Google search I suggested and stop searching for keywords in the comments to complain about (such as "Hitler stuff,"). Please read and comprehend your own articles and then re-read my comments and follow the research and you will learn something.

It's interesting. I can say anything I want on SFHate (SFGate) which is a rabid right-wing forum. I've never been warned there. But consistently on the so-called "progressive" (Ha, Ha!) sites I have been warned repeatedly about giving my own opinion and my opinion is researched. Why are so-called "progressive" sites so afraid of the truth consistently? By contrast, the one corporate site I'm on occasionally (SFHate) is not afraid of the truth. They allow me to say anything I want including the relevant issue of the "Hitler stuff." But not the wet-doily, thin-skinned "progressive" sites. The moment the truth comes out on the so-called "progressive" sites, they say time to shut it down.

Oh well, shut the damn thing down. Who the hell cares. The Guardian is part of the overall problem anyway and I knew that before coming on here. D "team" disciples most of the time. You're part of the D and R rut and you're not about to change. The Guardian acts more like the "teabaggers," really whether they want to admit so or not. Shut it down. Fine by me.

Posted by Sam on Apr. 28, 2010 @ 3:31 pm

Sam's a little twerp with a big keyboard. keep the border open for drug smuggling and human trafficking (smuggling). go ahead Sam, because that's basically what it's being used for.

just be sure in the meantime, to send them all back. good luck with your riots and revoluciones in your little paradise sanctuary within the friendly confines of SF Sam.

Posted by Guest on Apr. 28, 2010 @ 6:15 pm

Sam is officially NUTS...........

Posted by Guest on Apr. 28, 2010 @ 7:43 pm

Sam has a lot of valuable things to say and contribute to the discussion -- but we just all need to be advancing the conversation -- not rushing to a zero sum game. Everyone can do that one every other site. I'm over the 00s. Let's start building ideas.

Posted by marke on Apr. 28, 2010 @ 8:48 pm

Are you a moderator or a contributor, you know that old saying, can't have your cake and eat it, but i'm sure you can have your own cake and eat some one else's cake, because you think it's ok amd you are infalibility just like that pope :-)

Posted by Guest on Apr. 28, 2010 @ 10:49 pm

"We need to have a revolution here in this city and take over and anyone that does not aggree with us will have option to leave or be forced out.

This is our city, a PROGRESSIVE city for all the PROGRESSIVE people here!"

I couldn't agree more. But...I'll be on the other side facing YOU. See ya then PROG!

Posted by Guest on May. 18, 2010 @ 2:23 pm

against illegal aliens, period. get in line. adhere to our laws.

as a heterosexual, i am astonished my president, obama, is lining up yet another round of amnesty for criminals.

illegal aliens, criminals breaking our nation's laws, will be gifted the FULL CIVIL RIGHTS of which our LGBT lawful citizenry only dreams.

and, don't call me a racist or a bigot. it is like Jimmy Carter said, "...some people are just wrong." it is simply wrong to award criminals with the civil rights that our very own law-abiding citizens don't yet enjoy.

during prop h8, i was dismayed as the hispanic community rallied to vote away the civil rights of our LGBT sisters and brothers. i kept asking, "how can a group beg, borrow, steal, and work so to earn their families and children a better life here and yet utilize one of their very first votes to VOTE AWAY another minority's rights?" a real conundrum. sometimes the truth is stranger than fiction.

i would love nothing more than to take my children down to mexico and sign them into public school monday morning for a semester of intense cultural and language immersion. if i did, the mexican government would at the least laugh me out of mexico and at the most arrest me and confiscate my vehicle as they deported me because it is AGAINST THE LAW IN MEXICO! president calderon is full of himself and a liar to decry the new law in arizona. not to be outdone, president obama is also a liar and simply pandering to the larger hispanic voting bloc whilst he tosses the smaller LGBT community that so strongly supported (fiscally and physically) his candidacy under the bus.

again, don't snap back by labeling me a bigot or a racist. you must have a more well-developed argument. hispanic is not a race. and, i am actually bigoted in many ways, just as you are, certainly. but the hispanic community is not where my bigotry lands, just so you know.

best regards,
hadija

Posted by Guest on Jun. 07, 2010 @ 9:46 am

Also from this author

• Police provide explanation of Bernal Heights Park shooting at emotional town hall meeting

• San Francisco's untouchables

Is San Francisco trying to help the homeless -- or drive them away?

• Draining the tank

Students push UC system to divest from fossil fuels, joining an international movement gathering soon in San Francisco