I knew that Republicans have gotten pretty loony these days, but gubernatorial hopeful Steve Poizner was downright scary in his debate with Meg Whitman yesterday, threatening to create racial unrest and bankrupt the state in the name of being more conservative-than-thou.
He wants to deny all public services to undocumented immigrants and chided Whitman for not currently supporting Prop. 187, the 1994 measure that was struck down by the courts as unconstitutional. And after correctly saying California was “on the brink of economic collapse,” he went on promote that collapse by calling for a 10 percent reduction in sales, corporate, and income taxes, which really would bankrupt a state government that is already wrestling with a multi-billion-dollar budget deficit.
Now, I know that he’s pandering to the right-wing lunatic fringe of California, where Republicans are less than a third of voters and shrinking, and they’re all riled up these days from drinking too much Fox-brewed tea. But damn, this guy has really lost his mind.
Most Commented On
- It was precisely because I read the article that I deduced that - May 22, 2013
- The only people who can overturn a SCOTUS decision are the - May 22, 2013
- PG&E power is 605 sustainable as long as you accept that - May 22, 2013
- Yet if you visit Detroit, they complain about the opposite - May 22, 2013
- More curious, perhaps, is how - May 22, 2013
- The thing about stereotypes is that they are mostly true. - May 22, 2013
- You can go off-grid - May 22, 2013
- Massachusetts voters, not just those in Boston, - May 22, 2013
- More often, the richest 1% get out of paying taxes altogether! - May 22, 2013
- and you're not partisan? - May 22, 2013