The already crowded field of candidates battling to become the next D 10 supervisor just got even more crowded.
Bill Barnes, who is currently working as Sup. Michela Alioto-Pier's legislative aide, and has previously served as researcher for SF Firefighters Local 798, legislative aide for Sup. Fiona Ma, and legislative aide and campaign manager for Sup. Chris Daly, has entered the race.
Barnes, who turns 33 on April 3, says he is working between now and his birthday, on qualifying for public financing--a vital step for anyone who wants to compete against the handful of candidates that are backed by big private money in this race.
Barnes says he decided to throw his hat into the ring because there has not been enough talk about neighborhood issues, social inequity and displacement.
"The talk is always about creating jobs, but jobs for who?" Barnes said. "Will it be for folks who have lived in the community for their entire lives, or folks from out of town?"
In the next decade or two, it's likely that the majority of subcontracts in the city will be centered in District 10, but there are no guarantees of who will get that work.
Barnes identified UC Regent Ward Connerly's Prop. 209, which amended the state constitution to prohibit public institutions from considering race, sex, or ethnicity, as being a big part of the problem.
Noting that he worked to address the issue of local minority hiring while working for Ma, Barnes says race continues to play a major role when it comes to who gets the work in District 10.
"I plan to work to repeal Prop. 209, or figure out a better way to go,"Barnes said. "All too often contracts are issued that are way too big. That makes it impossible for a smaller locally-owned business to be competitive."
Most Commented On
- Weiner's Entry - May 23, 2013
- I like Starchild too, but would add that contrary to the - May 23, 2013
- Why should one particular - May 23, 2013
- It isn't, and people have been taking humiliating - May 23, 2013
- Yep, rent control is one of those things that people vote for - May 23, 2013
- Yep, I agree. His reputation as NYC mayor was not nearly as good - May 23, 2013
- Yep, I agree His reputation as NYC mayor was not nearly as good - May 23, 2013
- Change - May 23, 2013
- Starchild for Mayor. ;) - May 23, 2013
- Bella Abzug - May 23, 2013