The already crowded field of candidates battling to become the next D 10 supervisor just got even more crowded.
Bill Barnes, who is currently working as Sup. Michela Alioto-Pier's legislative aide, and has previously served as researcher for SF Firefighters Local 798, legislative aide for Sup. Fiona Ma, and legislative aide and campaign manager for Sup. Chris Daly, has entered the race.
Barnes, who turns 33 on April 3, says he is working between now and his birthday, on qualifying for public financing--a vital step for anyone who wants to compete against the handful of candidates that are backed by big private money in this race.
Barnes says he decided to throw his hat into the ring because there has not been enough talk about neighborhood issues, social inequity and displacement.
"The talk is always about creating jobs, but jobs for who?" Barnes said. "Will it be for folks who have lived in the community for their entire lives, or folks from out of town?"
In the next decade or two, it's likely that the majority of subcontracts in the city will be centered in District 10, but there are no guarantees of who will get that work.
Barnes identified UC Regent Ward Connerly's Prop. 209, which amended the state constitution to prohibit public institutions from considering race, sex, or ethnicity, as being a big part of the problem.
Noting that he worked to address the issue of local minority hiring while working for Ma, Barnes says race continues to play a major role when it comes to who gets the work in District 10.
"I plan to work to repeal Prop. 209, or figure out a better way to go,"Barnes said. "All too often contracts are issued that are way too big. That makes it impossible for a smaller locally-owned business to be competitive."
Most Commented On
- It's impressive they have - December 11, 2013
- The above mentioned solo was - December 11, 2013
- The interwebz "masters of the - December 11, 2013
- Cycling Safety in SF - December 11, 2013
- A tech company CEO is responsible - December 11, 2013
- Lilli, you claim to never engage in trollery and yet you have - December 11, 2013
- TRUST ... what TRUST when it is RIGGED and UNACCOUNTABLE ??? - December 11, 2013
- The Education/Liberalism connection - December 11, 2013
- If Steven had admitted he was duped and apologized for - December 11, 2013
- "by our rollercoaster - December 11, 2013