Michael Nava, who is running for Superior Court judge in San Francisco, tipped me to a fascinating document that's on the website of the California Judicial Council. It's a spreadsheet breaking down the ethnicity and gender of all the justices and trial court judges in the state. And it's pretty depressing.
In 2010, 73 percent of all trial court judges in the state are white, and 70 percent are male. A full 81 percent of the Court of Appeal judges are white, and 70 percent are male. That's astonishing.
Some counties are even worse: The Marin County judiciary is 100 percent white. Same for Napa County. San Francisco's a little better, at 66 percent white (but in a city with a majority non-white population, it's hardly representative).
Check out the pdf here.
Most Commented On
- Do you want your Ex back after a divorce - April 16, 2014
- READ THE BILL. - April 16, 2014
- No, they can't. If I was - April 16, 2014
- Economic reform is about money printing, not dispatchers - April 16, 2014
- I think you're - April 16, 2014
- Yes, anyone who files an Ellis 30/90 days after the effective - April 16, 2014
- Yes, after a while as a landlord, you develop a sixth sense of - April 16, 2014
- Of course, why do some tenants think that they have a lifetime - April 16, 2014
- LOL, Benito has had 37 years of stupid cheap rent and now you - April 16, 2014
- Maybe there are bad LL's, but so what? - April 16, 2014