Michael Nava, who is running for Superior Court judge in San Francisco, tipped me to a fascinating document that's on the website of the California Judicial Council. It's a spreadsheet breaking down the ethnicity and gender of all the justices and trial court judges in the state. And it's pretty depressing.
In 2010, 73 percent of all trial court judges in the state are white, and 70 percent are male. A full 81 percent of the Court of Appeal judges are white, and 70 percent are male. That's astonishing.
Some counties are even worse: The Marin County judiciary is 100 percent white. Same for Napa County. San Francisco's a little better, at 66 percent white (but in a city with a majority non-white population, it's hardly representative).
Check out the pdf here.
Most Commented On
- Couldn't have said it butter - March 11, 2014
- And your real name is Shannon? - March 11, 2014
- Yes, Shannon, some of us prefer evidence to conjecture, - March 11, 2014
- Total equality is infinitely expensive. - March 11, 2014
- So Tiny wants blacks to be barred from evictions? - March 11, 2014
- I would LOVE to know your - March 11, 2014
- Marzia's claim that the PUC - March 11, 2014
- Proud Oakland! - March 11, 2014
- So the ADA and the Civil - March 11, 2014
- I am not a transplant, 5th - March 11, 2014