By Tim Redmond
Everyone's having fun with this story: Apparently, the Rob Black campaign in District 6 is paying people $15 an hour to act like volunteers. There's a great photo on Sfist that sets the scene. Then KPFA sent a reporter to interview Black "volunteers" and got some great stuff. Here's a partial transcript, thanks to leftinsf.
REPORTER JOSHUA SMITH: On a busy street corner in District 6, campaigners are out in full force. Eric Wilson is wearing an I Black Back Button and standing next to a large poster endorsing the candidate. He says he got involved with the campaign through the Glide Church. But from a glance you would never guess his political stance.
ERIC WILSON: “Allegedly I’m going to be paid fifteen dollars an hour cash. I support Chris Daly, but I’m doing this for Rob Black for the cash. And it’s an oxymoron, but well, you gotta do what you gotta do to eat in this city.”
In other words, Black doesn't actually have a lot of volunteers, so he's trying to buy them.
Most Commented On
- Uber’s secret, “proprietary” insurance policy leaked - July 22, 2014
- SF Nightlife: Moon Boots, The Field, Tony Humphries, more - July 22, 2014
- Supes to vote on Avalos' "Let's Elect Our Elected Officials" - July 22, 2014
- Driven to take risks - July 22, 2014
- SFBG will know exactly how many people listen in. - July 22, 2014
- Bright future - July 22, 2014
- Attorneys debate toxic turf during Beach Chalet project - July 22, 2014
- Drop a house - July 22, 2014
- Gorgeousness unbound - July 22, 2014
- Police radio dispatch from Alejandro Nieto shooting raises new - July 22, 2014