By Tim Redmond
It's no surprise, I guess, that Jon Carroll has the most intelligent commentary on the whole Pete Wilson fiasco. His point:
"Every adventure in parenting is trial and error, generally performed by people totally unqualified for the task. I think of myself at 23, which is how old I was when my first daughter was born, and I think: Would I entrust an infant to this man? Absolutely not."
Me, I think of myself at 41, when my son was born, and I ask the same questions. I ask them almost every day. And yet, as the always-encouraging Carroll points out:
"Here's the thing: My wife and my older daughter both grew up into strong, well-mannered adults. Not perfect humans, but not felons or oil company executives either. The experiment worked; most of the experiments work. It is my belief that a lot of who the kid is and who she's going to be is already there, in her nature. The best thing parents can do is provide food, shelter and a safe environment. Love your kids, teach your kids, play with your kids -- and you're doing it right. The kid will be who the kid will be; the fun part is finding out who she is."
So much for Pete Wilson.
Most Commented On
- No. Expedia and the others don't pay TOT taxes. Here's proof. - March 6, 2014
- All I'm saying is - March 6, 2014
- Expedia etc. collect and pay TOT tax. - March 6, 2014
- Never Used Internet - March 6, 2014
- you're making less and less sense - March 6, 2014
- Ridiculous Discussion- Great Premise - March 6, 2014
- "either short-term lets or Ellis" - March 6, 2014
- More victim mentality from the left - March 6, 2014
- Potential trouble for hosts - March 6, 2014
- EVERYONE has to pay attention. - March 6, 2014