By Tim Redmond
THe Bush Administration is quietly moving to give an eight-member panel appointed by the president the ability to kill any federal program or agency -- unlilaterally. I'm not joking; Rollling Stone broke the story, and there's a post on Daily Kos that lays it out and offers ways to fight back.
Here's how RS describes it:
"[T]he commission would enable the Bush administration to achieve what Ronald Reagan only dreamed of: the end of government regulation as we know it. With a simple vote of five commissioners -- many of them likely to be lobbyists and executives from major corporations currently subject to federal oversight -- the president could terminate any program or agency he dislikes. No more Environmental Protection Agency. No more Food and Drug Administration. No more Securities and Exchange Commission."
I've found very little other press on this, but it's one of the more frightening things I've seen in a while.
Most Commented On
- Loving clean air and the - April 23, 2014
- Interpreter, not translator. - April 23, 2014
- Yes, Greg is a troll, and usually wrong as here - April 23, 2014
- Nieto has multiple RO's against him and was clearly - April 23, 2014
- Deserted is ridiculous - April 23, 2014
- actually, he was innocent. - April 23, 2014
- Never really a Motorhead fan, - April 23, 2014
- CAlL +2348182620374 TO GET YOUR HUSBAND BACK WITHIN 48 HOURS - April 23, 2014
- Damn egos - April 23, 2014
- If people want to work 60 hours a week to achieve more - April 23, 2014