Strong drum beats, hip shimmies laden with bells and voices coming together in song. This show has it all. Presenting "Dance + Diaspora" two performances this Friday and Saturday -- pics above are from the dress rehearsal -- by choreographers Jill Parker (with her Foxglove Sweethearts troupe) and Tania Santiago (with her Movendo con Capoeira troupe) -- a showcase of steamy belly dancing and heart-pumping Capoeria.
The belly dance performance includes solos, but is a mainly a group dance, with multiple belly rolls and wrist rotations happening in unison by all the dancers. Their piece also includes live music, like some pretty great clarinet and double-reeded zurna tunes. After intermission, the mood shifts and takes you to Brazil, for an energizing Capoeira piece, mixing both incredible acrobatics and traditional Afro-Brazilian folk dance. The show as a whole is a wonderful combination of music and dance, creating a true cultural dance experience.
Dance + Diaspora, Fri/22 and Sat/23
A taste of Jill Parker and the Foxglove Sweethearts
Most Commented On
- No Wall on the Waterfront wins big, Chiu prevails in Assembly - July 29, 2014
- Student protesters file claim against City College and SF - July 29, 2014
- YNyGSMpUjI - July 29, 2014
- Chiu introduces legislation to regulate Airbnb and short-term - July 29, 2014
- Live Review: My Bloody Valentine’s SF show feels like - July 29, 2014
- Can short-term renting be caused by Airbnb - July 29, 2014
- I am pro soccer, pro natural - July 29, 2014
- you don't sound - July 29, 2014
- Ammiano and Leno seek to reform the Ellis Act and slow SF - July 29, 2014
- Silly people. Everyone knows - July 29, 2014