Wandering around Polk Street before the Super Bowl on Sunday, I was seeing red -- but not from stray elbows or overserved sports boors. Team-inspired fashion is usually a pretty simple affair: a hat, a T-shirt with a logo, maybe a jacket. But this is San Francisco, where we don't do common and the Niners' presence in the Super Bowl was one more excuse for residents to show off their flair for dramatic costuming.
But though I was out looking for the over-the-top, the Niners gear I did managed to capture ended up being mainly on the tasteful side of things. I spotted a woman and pup in matching red gear, a cute couple subtly sporting Niners colors without sacrificing J. Crew-crispness.
That aside, my favorite was a man in a gigantic red and gold poncho. As I began to introduce myself, the gentleman spotted my camera and tipsily exclaimed, “you don’t even have to ask!” He grabbed his buddies and struck a pose. I’m betting he was probably pretty upset after the game. But least he was already wearing his security blanket. Not to mention, swathed in love for his hometown, win or lose.
Most Commented On
- I think there isn't a huge value intrinsic in being born here, - May 24, 2013
- Posting your whiney self-rationalization twice does not - May 24, 2013
- Guestma, why should this city be a "haven" for people who cannot - May 24, 2013
- "And it is in no way hateful - May 24, 2013
- As long as the Feds consider pot to be illegal, then the rest - May 24, 2013
- Thanks for re-thinking the earlier caption Caitlin. - May 24, 2013
- :P - May 24, 2013
- I am third generation San - May 24, 2013
- I agree, "So what?" comes across as yet another person with an - May 24, 2013
- To Rockydoesit: I just saw a - May 24, 2013