San Francisco’s next great designer, sculptor, or filmmaker could possibly be in attendance this Sat/8 at the second annual San Francisco Youth Arts Summit taking place at SOMArts Cultural Center.
Maybe the next big things will be Maeve Fitzhoward and Brandy Ruedas, two youth artists who we met who will be showcasing – and selling, hey – their printmaking projects from Out of Site youth arts center, which will help host Saturday's science-fair-meets-arts-gala. Fitzhoward and Ruedas also dish out advice to other artists through their positions on the Out of Site youth advisory board.
The Guardian also spoke with another Out of Site participant Mari Galicer, who’s been taking the digital media class this past semester. Galicer has learned how to create and manipulate film using programs like FinalCut Pro and Photoshop. Right now she's working on a film with a group of peers about the city’s 11th district. If you stop by to see her, smile pretty – she's putting together footage of this weeks' Art Summit for an upcoming promotional video for Out of Site.
The summit will feature a total of 200 teenage artists from over 20 youth arts organizations. Attendees will also get to check out autuers from YBCA’s Young Artists at Work program, the Children’s Creativity Museum, and BAYCAT's base of budding Bayview media types.
While you’re perusing the various works of art you may want to indulge in some printmaking at the Out of Site bartering bank and ATM (Art That Matters) machine, or unleash your inner filmmaker by creating a stop-motion video at the mobile animation studio. If you’re a wordsmith, show off your literary skills at a poetry workshop with members of the WritersCorps, SF Mime Troupe, and TILT, the independent film center for young people.
SF Youth Arts Summit
Sat/8, 2-5pm, free
SOMArts Cultural Center
934 Brannan, SF
Most Commented On
- Eris Mars daughter was getting second hand soda? - July 23, 2014
- Bill would tax companies with wide CEO-worker pay disparities - July 23, 2014
- The only "funny" thing... is - July 23, 2014
- We don't need a masterpiece - July 23, 2014
- We must be multicultural and diverse - July 23, 2014
- Muni is an anachronism - July 23, 2014
- The sick-out made me a - July 23, 2014
- Muni fares should reflect costs - July 23, 2014
- Growth potential - July 23, 2014
- TIFF diary #2: dead cheerleaders + Tsai, Hong, and Breillat - July 23, 2014