This post has been updated. RYME orientation is July 3, not June 27.
July 3 will begin another session of Poor Magazine’s revolutionary youth media education program, or RYME.
Poor Magazine was founded in 1996 as a way to bring together poor people to produce media, teach and learn, and create community. From their space in the Mission, they have launched the printed Poor Magazine, Poor News Network TV and Poor Radio, published dozens of books at Poor Press, and hold programming throughout the year.
One such program is People Skool, sessions for and by the people. Poor rejects status indicators like degrees and job titles in favor of expertise based on experience. People are esteemed as Indigenous Scholars, Poverty Scholars, Youth Scholars, and Mama Scholars share their knowledge at People Skool.
The RYME session is "a multi-generational , mutli-lingual skool," according to Tiny Gray-Garcia, Poor Magazine’s co-founder.
The program will "teach our children and families back their stolen indigenous languages through art and project based learning-- this summer we will be teaching media, radio, music, art and journalism with a focus on eldership, indigenous herstories and histories ” Gray-Garcia said in an email.
Tuition for the program is based on ability to pay, and can range from $90 – 500. There are full scholarships and stipends provided for youth in poverty.
At tomorrow’s orientation, youth can learn about the program, which runs through July 31, and a “healthy homemade lunch” with “vegan and meat options provided” will be served, Gray-Garcia said.
Revolutionary Youth Media Education orientation/registration
July 3, 4pm, free
2940 16th St., #301, SF
Youth scholars from last summer's RYME program conduct interviews outside City Hall
Most Commented On
- Leslie Dreyer does not live - December 9, 2013
- Oh, so only people living in - December 9, 2013
- Think about it, those - December 9, 2013
- "I don't know any tech workers... - December 9, 2013
- Steven has been in full backpeddling mode all day long. - December 9, 2013
- The outfit is a dead giveaway - December 9, 2013
- Steven and friends - Enjoy your sh*tcakes! - December 9, 2013
- If only there were a word for this.. - December 9, 2013
- Erin modeled herself after Sir Robin: - December 9, 2013
- Appalled - December 9, 2013