For the cover of our Queer Pride Issue, the Guardian rallied a group together to take some photos and ask them about their experiences as queer youths in the Bay Area. Go to the jump to hear more from Angel, Brian, Dennis, and Huitzi.
(Photos by Keeney and Law)
Angel, Intern, SF LGBT Community Center
"I'm really excited for Pride! I've never been... this is going to be my first time, so I'm really excited..."
Brian, Recent SF Transplant
"I grew up in Texas. By coming out here I'm coming into a new world where it's ok being gay, it's ok being you you are, it's ok me loving Angel, and it's ok flaunting it. No one is going to say anything about that. I think the Bay Area is where I was meant to be."
Dennis, Poet/Musician/Queer Youth Educator
"What inspires me is adversity, because it's something that enrages me and something that fuels me to overcome."
"What inspires me? Seeing other people display their strength. Especially if they want to help people that are going through the same things they did. Seeing people take a stand for what they believe in... I love that."
Most Commented On
- why is this MY - May 18, 2013
- Tell the Yakuza. - May 18, 2013
- Cutting off the nose to spite the face - May 18, 2013
- I'm guessing that you have never read 1984 - May 18, 2013
- Such a load of crap - May 18, 2013
- The whole west side is single family homes - May 18, 2013
- I know you guys - May 18, 2013
- Correction: hate=love - May 18, 2013
- So it's ok for trim, athletic - May 18, 2013
- A comment up above reminds me - May 18, 2013