Rehearsal was in full twirl this weekend, as dancers prepared to perform "The Revolutionary Nutcracker Sweetie" at Brava Theater this coming weekend.
This is not your classic, bourgeois version of the Nutcracker, but more of a Cinderella tale. Clara is an undocumented worker, working for the richest family in town, the McGreeds, whose gay son (with a pink hairdo) gives Clara a freedom fighting doll from Africa.
Later, the pair embark on an adventure of a lifetime. They make their way through a magical world, of melting ice caps and even underwater, concluding with the a beautiful "dance of the flowers," which I caught a few photos of during the rehearsal. So start a new tradition this year, and check out Dance Brigade's spunky and cool version of this holiday favorite, because, sweetie, you don't want to miss it!
Saturday 2pm and 6pm; Sunday 1pm and 5pm, $15-$17
2781 24th Street, SF
Purchase tickets here
Most Commented On
- 360 apartments - March 11, 2014
- We all have to lay down - March 11, 2014
- Equal application of the law? - March 11, 2014
- No, Michael is also concerned about the location of those - March 11, 2014
- Is this really all you have to care about? - March 11, 2014
- OK, so Tiny is a card player. - March 11, 2014
- Yes, it's not fair, these buses are punctual! - March 11, 2014
- I blame the Google shuttles. - March 11, 2014
- "After a week of - March 11, 2014
- I guess that envy and hatred of success trumps caring for the - March 11, 2014