Clay is one of the most expressive forms of art. It can be pushed and pulled and molded into any sort of creation -- given that the artist knows what they are doing, since clay can turn finicky in a flash. This weekend (Fri/7-Sun/9), the gigantic festival pavilion at Fort Mason will open its doors for the Ceramics Annual of America, which will be filled with a smorgasbord of wonderfully creative and delicate pieces of art, all hailing from the mediums of mud, fire, and glaze. I wandered around for almost two hours last night sucking on eye candy that ranged from intricate sculptures to modified pots that reminded me of sea creatures.
Two artists were especially memorable. If you end up at the show this weekend, make sure to scout them out. The first was Carmen Lang, whose sculptures ranged from doggies chilling on a mini couch to lovers wrapped up in a rather intimate embrace. Her choice in glazes was reminiscent of colors used in the 1960's, giving the pieces a vintage flair. The were cute, a bit silly, and I wanted to take one home.
And then there was the work by Gail Ritchie. Her pieces bring together birds and chairs and are pure whimsy -- they take you to a dream world. There, a girl holding an acorn is perched on the back of a docile pelican. An origami bird, stretching it's neck, sits on a chair made of “recycled materials” (it's all made of clay!). Ritchie's work is truly beautiful, and paired with her incredible talent as an artist, her pieces really got me fired up.
Ceramics Annual of America
Fri/7-Sun/9, $10 one day/$20 weekend pass
Festival Hall, Fort Mason
Buchanan and Marina, SF
Most Commented On
- And disagreeing with myself too! - April 17, 2014
- Ignorant troll - April 17, 2014
- The problem with that, Greg, is that when rent control - April 17, 2014
- Unimaginable and - April 17, 2014
- Whoa, Greg, are you now trying to throw us off the scent by - April 17, 2014
- Of course you would, Greg. You want city policies decided by the - April 17, 2014
- Times change - April 17, 2014
- Wait, Greg, I thought you loved central and south America - April 17, 2014
- Actually, Greg, the offices where we do elect folks are more - April 17, 2014
- So you're the infamous SFparkripoff who I'm supposed to be! - April 17, 2014