One of the least known skinny-dipping holes in our guide is -- amazingly -- just off Soberanes Canyon Trail, one of Monterey County's most popular paths.Most hikers walk right by the side trail to the hidden riverbank, which is located between Point Lobos and Garrapata Beach. To find the main trailhead, look for cars pulled over on the inland side of Highway 1, near Garrapata.You can't see a marker from the highway, but if no cars are there, the best landmark is a large pullout under a row of cypresses next to the highway.
Part of Garrapata State Park.
How to find it:
Take Highway 1 south. Just before the big Garrapata State Park sign, across from cars parked on the west side of the highway, keep your eyes open for a small pullout or vehicles parked on the east (inland) side of the road.At the trailhead is a gated dirt road."Two trails begin there," says a senior citizen who's been swimming in the hole nude with his wife since they were youths. "Instead of taking the Rocky Ridge Trail to the left, follow the Soberanes Canyon Trail to the right." Stay on the path approximately one-and-a-half miles until it ends. Then look for a path that leads off to the side, down to the creek.
"It's a little nude swimming hole in the creek," says a reader.
Probably just you or a few local residents.
Pull-off and trailhead area easy to miss; nudity discouraged in the state park.
Select an Area:
Most Commented On
- You keep making it about me - August 1, 2014
- Police radio dispatch from Alejandro Nieto shooting raises new - August 1, 2014
- Idora, so your stated preference is for censorship and the - August 1, 2014
- Wrong. Chrome, me and this guy are all different guys - August 1, 2014
- I see no retaliation here, even though the mayor is entitled to - August 1, 2014
- Stupid people annoy me. - August 1, 2014
- IjqQxWZakmdM - August 1, 2014
- NSA surveillance scandal goes full tilt clown - August 1, 2014
- Twitter tax break beneficiary Zendesk launches app to help the - August 1, 2014
- Barbie gets a makeover, San Francisco-style - August 1, 2014