Tube riders coming down the river are sometimes amazed to see dozens of nude sunbathers at two holes near Maple Creek and the Salyer Roadside Rest Area, both off Highway 299. The water is usually cold, so most nudity is confined to the shore. But bring sandals or old shoes to wear in the water, just in case you decide to take a dip.
Follow Mad River directions to the town of Blue Lake (see above). Access to Maple Creek, which consists of a few buildings, is via a small road in town. "It's a little ways inland from Blue Lake," reader Douglas Beck says. The same drive can also be made from Kneeland, which can be reached from Arcata. From Highway 101, head up Fickle Hill Road to the Maple Creek exit. Take the exit to where you see cars pulled off, then park and walk upstream past a clothed beach to the nude swimming hole.
Depending on the season, the beach of rocks and sand is next to a small river or stream.
You and a few others may be the only ones here.
Unknown legal status; river rocks; better directions needed.
Select an Area:
Most Commented On
- California has highest income tax rates - March 31, 2010
- I think "The Dog Issue" is a - March 31, 2010
- I know the SFBG is for a - March 31, 2010
- If sit/lie for specific - March 31, 2010
- GO BACK TO TEXAS - March 31, 2010
- Tim Redmond supports just - March 31, 2010
- Wow you're so full of hate - March 31, 2010
- Maufas? - March 31, 2010
- Actually, the report makes perfect sense - March 31, 2010
- Thanks for reminding me whom - March 31, 2010