If you're searching for the perfect beach for tanning, reading, or some other quiet activity, then you'll probably love Laguna Creek, which is located just off Highway 1 between mileposts 25.96 and 26.01. Other pluses include coves that are good for beachcombing, and a lagoon that attracts both birds and birdwatchers. To find this delightful clothing-optional spot, drive 9.8 miles north of Santa Cruz to Laguna Road, which is adjacent to the beach.
Privately owned but publicly used.
About 9.8 miles north of the junction of Highways 1 and 17 in Santa Cruz and 41.5 miles south of the Highway 1 and 92 junction in Half Moon Bay, look for either Laguna's dirt parking lot on the inland side of Highway 1 or the unmarked side road (Laguna Road) next to the lot. Park there and head for a road on the west side of the highway that faces the lot, where Laguna Road and Highway 1 join up. Just north of that road, follow a narrow path through the bushes, while keeping an eye out for poison oak. It will become a jeep path. Take it to the north end of the beach, where you may see some skinny-dippers. Or walk along the water's edge to the south end, which gets both suited and nude use.
The half-mile beach widens to the south, but the north end is warmest, according to Bill, a regular visitor who likes Laguna's small, protected coves. Birds are usually seen in the lagoon include grebes, gulls, and song sparrows.
Even on warm days, fewer than 50 people, and sometimes just one or two. "It had nudists and non-nudists on both ends of the beach," says Bill. The beach has become something of a gay hangout, especially in the middle.
Cold water; fog; erosion; occasional gawkers; wind; poison oak on trail; wind on south end.
Select an Area:
Most Commented On
- Presumably in the confines of - March 25, 2010
- Michael Moore? - March 25, 2010
- Who's Waterloo? - March 25, 2010
- No, it seems pretty clear to - March 25, 2010
- Thanks for discussion; please check out my longer op-ed piece - March 25, 2010
- You Go Home. - March 25, 2010
- Well, Ludicra made up for it, - March 25, 2010
- Guardian progressives can tell us all how to live... but - March 25, 2010
- Sarah-- you Rock!!! Classic - March 25, 2010
- Are they anything like the - March 25, 2010