You don't have to look far to find reminders of the '60s in the Big Sur area, including a nude swimming hole that, says Fred of Pacific Grove, seems like "a flashback" to the era of hippies and flower children. Next to a creek near the Fernwood Resort and its Redwood Grill Restaurant, some 30 miles south of Carmel, visitors will find a nude beach will some telltale signs of the period. "Look for old couches on the riverbank, naked people, and a river," says Fred. Or you may be the only person there. "Nobody bothers you," says Fred.
The beach is about a quarter mile north of the Grill and three quarters of a mile north of Pfeiffer Beach (see next entry), so if you pass either, turn around. Just south of the Big Sur River (see previous entry) on Highway 1, look for St. Francis Church and an old sign on the ocean side of the road directing visitors to the bar and grill. Follow the path that starts at the sign; it will take you down to a streamside swimming hole used by local skinny-dippers.
A creekside swimming hole.
"There's usually nobody there," says Fred.
Unknown legal status; needs better directions.
Select an Area:
Most Commented On
- "city's liberal attitude" - March 28, 2010
- Situation on Haight Street - March 28, 2010
- Elsewhere today - March 28, 2010
- Another Powerful Testimonial - March 28, 2010
- love it - March 28, 2010
- you're a living Chicago song - March 28, 2010
- Bad Cop, No Doughnut - March 28, 2010
- Testimonials - March 28, 2010
- Cutting administration - March 28, 2010
- It was a beautiful day on - March 28, 2010