On a sunny day, when the wind is down, beautiful Bolinas Beach can be a great place to throw down your towel and work on an all-over tan. Sans-suit sunbathers sometimes find shelter from the wind in spots on the north end of the rocky shoreline. You'll probably also notice dogwalkers and kayakers. Use this area with caution: although there haven't been any reported problems lately, Bolinas has an antinudity law.
Part of the land is private property facing homes. Bolinas's antinudity ordinance includes fines of up to $50 and/or a month in jail for first-time violations.
Starting in Stinson Beach, take Highway 1 (also known there as Shoreline Highway) north toward Calle Del Mar 4.5 miles. Bear left on Olema Bolinas Road. Follow it two miles through Bolinas, and park in town or on Ocean Parkway Avenue, which parallels the beach. Walk until you find a spot with enough sand and privacy.
Somewhat sheltered from the wind by cliffs, Bolinas is wider than some of the nude beaches on our list but narrows as you walk farther away from the parking area. The best sand is near the cliffs. Otherwise, expect a fairly rocky shoreline.
On hot summer days families, out-of-towners, and suited sunbathers mingle with local naturists and kayakers. This is also a dog beach.
Local residents sometimes distrust outsiders; not enough sand; undertow; frequent wind; cold water; and poor swimming conditions.
Select an Area:
Most Commented On
- All this talk of "unfunded - May 1, 2010
- Question For Arthur Evans - May 1, 2010
- Lynn Woolsey is an old Hippie ? - May 1, 2010
- Arthur Evans Continues To Mislead Through Omission - May 1, 2010
- The Talent - May 1, 2010
- Obstructing Sidewalks - May 1, 2010
- Oh, for heaven's sake, is it - May 1, 2010
- Sit-Lie Law Not Needed. Arthur Evans is intentionally misleading - May 1, 2010
- The Geography of Incivility - April 30, 2010
- In a post above Arthur Evans - April 30, 2010