The minimal synth movement -- which revives obscure (and launches new) careers in the Cold Wave, analogue electronic DIY synthesizer sound of the early '80s -- has been going strong since it first hit the Internet radio and underground club scene nearly a decade ago. While SF no longer has a night really dedicated to the sounds of such overlooked yet amazing acts like Ausgang Verboten, Esplendor Geometrico, Eleven Pond, Xex, and Zwischenfall, we've managed to work tunes from their ilk onto the rosters of regular parties like OK Hole, Haceteria, Dark Room, and more.
Best of all for SF, we have DJ Josh Cheon's Dark Entries Records, leading the way with reissues and new works that beckon that chilly underground feeling of yore. Seriously, spend a minute browsing the catalogue and you're sure to be intrigued.
And now it's time for a minimal mini-fest, huzzah.
This weekend will bring together some major minimal players at the Lab for a two-day Minimal Wave Fete extravaganza (if extravaganza is not too strong a word for the atmosphere at these types of things). ON Sat/27, Cheon will be there to spin records -- and so will the godmother of the movement, NYC's Veronica Vasicka, whose extraordinary Minimal Wave site kicked the whole movement off in 2005. Also appearing: enormously influential Central American dark dance music master Silent Servant and Allessandro Adriani of Italy's great Mannequin label. Oh, and neato, a live performance by Streetwalker.
The second day, Sun/28, appropriately entitled "B-Side." sees an afternoon party with a plethora of DJs including Holly Herndon, Matthew Dryhurst, Elon Katz, Justin Anastasi, C.L.A.W.S., and Rachel Aiello. Plus lots of great, glum, and shivering swag for sale. Cannot wait -- and here, of course, is my favorite minimal wave song of all:
MINIMAL WAVE FETE
"A Side": Sat/27, 10pm-2am, $12-$15.
"B-Side": Sun/28, 3pm-8pm, $6
2948 16th St., SF.
Most Commented On
- Commitment matters - March 8, 2014
- You and I have different values - March 8, 2014
- Oh yes - that paragon of virtue, ambulance chaser Chris Dolan... - March 7, 2014
- eKwimShrzRLu - March 7, 2014
- You're kidding right? Brown - March 7, 2014
- fyi, marcos, AAA has a dismal record on motorists' rights - March 7, 2014
- Christopher Dolan AGAIN? - March 7, 2014
- So criticizing someone who - March 7, 2014
- Funny, I felt the same way about Jerry Brown - March 7, 2014
- So in other words you feel - March 7, 2014