Björk plays the part of stunning mad scientist at the Craneway Pavilion

With purple lightning bolts of electricity jagging toward one another in a steel cage center-stage, powerful pipes that reverberated through the pavilion and rippled out onto the sea, and a fuzzy Snow Cone wig of every color -- cherry red, orange, lime green -- Björk seemed like the mad scientist of the natural world last night at the relatively intimate Craneway in Richmond, Calif.

She also thanked the audience often, 't-ank you, Bay Area, gggrrrratitude!" (she rolls her Rs beautifully) and offered up a 16-piece coven of sequined and hooded Icelandic choir princesses, so you can assume she's the benevolent type of creator.

The vibe was weird to start, with most of the audience confused as to where to go, do we sit or stand, what is this place, will she come out before dark even though the whole place is encased by floor-to-ceiling windows? Will I cry when she appears? There were a few poofy pink or orange wigs dotting the crowd, and at least one swan costumed fella, who, also benevolent, took time to pose for photos with fans after the show.

The Craneway only holds 4,000 people, which still seems like a lot until you realize that when Björk's Volta tour came through, it went to the Shoreline Amphitheatre in Mountain View, which holds 22,500. And with the stage in the dead center and the aforementioned ripply waters just outside the windows, it did feel like the smallest possible way to view Björk. "Did she just look directly at me?” It must have been thought dozens of times throughout the night during this Biophilia stop.

The show itself began auspiciously enough, with a young woman stepping out onto the stage to patiently ask the crowd to put away its cell phones and cameras, to live in the moment for the night. People cheered, as concert-goers are sick of the constant interruption at shows (or maybe I'm projecting). Most got the point -- hello, we were about to be in the presence of a legendary elf and sonic genius, live in the now -- but plenty decided to shirk the suggestion, just too giddy with social media attention. (Full disclosure: I posted a photo of the empty stage long before the show started, but still, I admit to that tugging need to let people know I was there, near her.)

At 9pm, a National Geographic documentary-style voice (actually British broadcaster David Attenborough, narrating Biophilia's intro) came over the loudspeaker and explained the night would be about "NATURE, MUSIC, AND TECHNOLOGY." It also asked us to expand our minds, and a few other ideas that I missed due to excitement. Just listen to the album introduction, it's all there.

The cloaked Icelandic choir -- all blonde, Viking-esque, and vaguely Kirsten Dunst-looking, wearing oversized smocks of glittery green or velvety amber-brown with large hoods -- marched out and stood in a hunched and humble circle on the already circular stage and began chanting. A sea of impressive vocals rose with immediacy.

And then Björk rose up like a bewigged phoenix from the ashes, and lightly shuffled near the Tesla coils as they crackled with purple electricity inside a human-sized bird cage (technically, a Faraday shield). She later called the Tesla coils her "fun new toy." The set began with "Oskasteinar," then electrifying "Thunderbolt,” which teetered between grinding techno thanks to arpeggios timed to the coils and passionate love song, given Björk's leaping vocals. This was followed by "Moon" (large moons floating and shifting on the circle of TV screens surrounding the stage) and "Chrystalline" (crystal gems dance across said screens). Most songs had a visual component on those screens, a natural element growing and twisting like a video game or early web screen-saver. The image of the earth’s mantle cracking open looked straight out of a biology book.

Björk and the hooded Kirsten Dunsts sang their way through most of Biophilia -- the main star of this tour -- but also revisited old favorites like "Hidden Place,” which was matched to a neat video of colorful starfish frolicking underwater, and incredibly sexy Vespertine hit "Pagan Poetry," which burst out of Bjork's mouth like fire, filling the room with warmth. That powerful "I love him/I love him/I love him/I love him" breakdown felt almost too personal in such a small place. But then the choir piped up with that tender backup “She loves him,” and it brought us all back to the present.

While she sang, Björk one-two shuffled around in platform glitter shoes and a glittery beige haute couture dress that looked like it was covered in 3-D alien breasts. She pushed her body forward and back. She shot her hands out and spread her fingers like she was casting spells to the beats. She pulled out the iPad to play during a handful of songs, and was also backed by a live drummer, a musician on "computers and shit," and a truly epic harpist, also wearing a glittery oversized smock. Large pendulums swung to and fro just off the stage.

Björk and the Dunsts left the stage after an hour, returning a few short minutes later with "Possibly Maybe" off 1995’s Post“Nattura," and finally, closing with Volta’s "Declare Independence." For that last song, she asked that everyone stand (VIP area was seated) and sing-along, "Declare independence/Don't let them do that to you" and everyone obliged, hoping to please their mad scientist master with repeated declarations of independence. Make your own flag, raise your flag higher, higher.

Set list:
14. “Cosmogony”
15. “Solstice”
Encore
16. “Possibly Maybe”
17. “Nattura”
18. “Declare Independence”

Comments

We're going on Sat., you mention VIP seating. Is general admission standing? Christ on crutch.

Posted by JV on May. 23, 2013 @ 4:37 pm

There's general admission bleachers seats.

Posted by Guest on May. 23, 2013 @ 8:52 pm

Really when someone doesn't understand afterward its up to other users that they will help, so here
it occurs.

Posted by Cora U. Groesbeck on Jan. 26, 2014 @ 10:17 pm

I every time used to read article in news papers but
now as I am a user of net thus from now I am using net
for content, thanks to web.

Posted by Sherry N. Groesbeck on Feb. 05, 2014 @ 7:58 pm

@JV there's general admission bleachers on the sides if the stage, behind general admission standing.

Posted by Guest on May. 23, 2013 @ 8:48 pm

Hey There. I found your blog using msn. This is a really
well written article. I will be sure to bookmark it
and return to read more of your useful info.
Thanks for the post. I will definitely comeback.

Posted by Travel News on Nov. 12, 2013 @ 12:02 am

After looking over a handful of the blog posts on your website,
I really like your way of writing a blog. I saved it to my bookmark webpage list and will be checking back in the near future.
Please check out my web site too and tell me your opinion.

Posted by Harold C. Phillips on Feb. 02, 2014 @ 3:10 pm

Magnificent items from you, man. I have consider your stuff previous to and you are just extremely excellent.
I actually like what you have obtained here, really like what you're saying
and the way in which through which you assert it.

You are making it enjoyable and you still care for to stay
it smart. I cant wait to read far more from you.
That is actually a great site.

Posted by Cora Y. McWilliams on Feb. 12, 2014 @ 1:00 pm

If you're willing to stand, you can be just a few feet away from the stage. The general admission seating is too far back from the stage and could have been moved 20 feet closer, as there was a bit of dead space between the standing people next to the stage or VIP seating and the general admission seating behind it.

Posted by Guest on May. 23, 2013 @ 10:02 pm

I'm going next Tuesday, but will be flying home that evening and the timing is tight. Can you tell me when the show actually started? Thanks!

Posted by Guest on May. 24, 2013 @ 9:11 am

Bjork actually walked out on to the stage at 9pm, but I'd suggest getting there by 8ish, if possible.

Posted by emily on May. 24, 2013 @ 1:41 pm

Amazing blog! Do you have any suggestions for aspiring writers?
I'm hoping to start my own site soon but I'm
a little lost on everything. Would you suggest starting
with a free platform like Wordpress or go for a paid option?
There are so many options out there that I'm completely confused ..
Any suggestions? Thank you!

Posted by Sherry K. Hall on Feb. 02, 2014 @ 3:16 pm

This info is worth everyone's attention. How can I find out more?

Posted by Tours News on Nov. 12, 2013 @ 12:02 am

Thanks for your marvelous posting! I truly enjoyed reading it, you happen
to be a great author. I will make certain to bookmark your blog and may
come back very soon. I want to encourage yourself to
continue your great work, have a nice evening!

Posted by Michael K. Yang on Feb. 07, 2014 @ 7:37 pm

Going on Tuesday, but flying into town that evening. Can you tell me what time the show started? Thanks!

Posted by Guest on May. 24, 2013 @ 9:05 am

Hello,

Thanks for the awesome review! I'm flying in from CO to see the show on Tuesday and I want to be sure the get awesome seats. How far in advance do you recommend getting to venue? Where should I try to get seats (GA, I want to be as close as possible, but with the best view, I'm only 5'1"!). What is the best way to get to Craneway?

Thanks in advance for your help and advice!

Posted by Guest on May. 25, 2013 @ 1:30 pm

what time did the show end?

Thanks! excited for tonight :)

Posted by Guest on May. 25, 2013 @ 1:31 pm
Posted by Donald I. Hall on Jan. 29, 2014 @ 9:35 am

That powerful "I love him/I love him/I love him/I love him" breakdown felt almost too personal in such a small place.NFL Snapback Hats

Posted by George on May. 20, 2014 @ 6:27 pm

Also from this author

• Love rumbles

Who is Charlie Megira? A Berlin rebel with a Bay Area connection

• Down at the Rickshaw

One of our favorite independent music venues celebrates 10 years of rockin' -- with a week of great shows

• Rockin' New Year's Eve