Nite Trax: 222 Hyde is closing :(

So long and thanks for all the acid house!
PHOTO FROM THE50DATES.COM

Oh jeez, sad news this morning from EO, owner of great, actually-underground rave cave 222 Hyde. Due to a change in ownership of the nightlub's building, and some continued trouble with the ABC state liquor and license patrol, 222 will be closing March 9.

There's gonna be a huge closing party that night of course! (Stay tuned for details.)

This marks the loss of one of the most truly open-eared venues to come along in a while, a space that had room - well, a little room, at least, that basement dancefloor got packed! -- for ambitious electronic experiment as well as balls out crowd pleasers, but always on the cutting edge. The staff is pretty great, too -- and the space itself is a historic nightlife landmark. I don't want to make any grand statements about the blandification of SF nightlife, you've heard it all before, but 222's size insured that lesser-known acts, or ones not so familiar in the US, could perform to a vibing dancefloor, rather than risk the cost of larger venues. (And I regret not making it to some of the recent parties like Wednesday's "What?!" party and the appearance by Skooz. Next time!)

EO will continue on with his ear-grabbing electronic music production -- I wish him and his staff well and thank you for the music! Let's make sure the next few weeks and the closing party are real blowouts. EO's message to me after the jump:

Hi Marke,

I have some news regarding 222 Hyde.

Sadly, we are closing our doors. Our last event will be March 9, a farewell party with djs and acts who have been staples at 222 over the years. Lineup to follow, but so far Jeno, Atish, Sleazemore, Polk & Hyde (live), and more to come. The final week we are open will be one for the books, starting with the final Tutu Tuesday March 5, As You Like It w/San Proper March 8, and the closing party March 9.

A few things factored into what is leading us to close. Problems with the ABC (Alcoholic Beverage Control) over a technicality concerning a condition on the license being one of them. Also, the building that houses 222 is also changing hands in a couple months, and the new owners would not be sympathetic to the club or it's operations. We were lucky to have a great landlord for years and his departure signaled the last sign that it was time to move on.

222 will be remembered as a unique and special place in the SF club landscape, and we know it will be missed. It will live on in everyone's memory, and there is something to be said for ending on a high note.

Personally, I will have even more time to devote to my first passion, that being producing and performing electronic music on my own, as well as with my collaborators Kenneth Scott (Moniker) and Jonah Sharp (Polk & Hyde). There are a string of upcoming releases on deck and I look forward to having more time to focus on music.

We would love to see everyone at any and all of the last events at the club!

eo

Comments

222 has been my beacon since moving to the Bay Area 6 months ago. I'd frequented it more than any other club out here, and found it to be the perfect balance of dancefloor/sound/n' lounge. I'll miss it, and hope the owners get involved in future spaces

Posted by dj lgcc on Feb. 23, 2013 @ 10:40 am

222 is amazing -- and hopefully there will indeed be more future spaces that will take chances.

Posted by marke on Feb. 23, 2013 @ 10:46 am

;( EO I will never forget your club! The amazing nights and friends made their. I'm really sad about this. One of the few clubs that allowed underground house and techno with no worries of trends and rules of club land, 222 made a statement and should be remembered so! Long live 222. Thank you EO and the previous owner Bianca letting me and so many of my talented friends perform there. -jimmy

Posted by Jimmy B on Feb. 23, 2013 @ 11:00 am

the previous owner as well, for paving the way! This space is truly an SF tradition. we will make more!

Posted by marke on Feb. 23, 2013 @ 11:20 am

Bummer, sad to see this place close, truly was a diamond in the rough, hope to see that Turbo sound system at a new spot, that will be just as good as this one.

Posted by Benjie on Feb. 23, 2013 @ 11:27 am

One of my favorite places to find and revel in solid music. 222 will be missed and hope the best for everyone there. I look forward to it's reincarnation elsewhere.

Posted by Guest on Feb. 23, 2013 @ 1:16 pm

very sad

Posted by Guest on Feb. 23, 2013 @ 8:11 pm

bummer, my friends show was at 222 hyde on march 9th and he found out it was (apparently) canceled by reading this news article.

Posted by Guest on Feb. 25, 2013 @ 12:06 pm

Back in the day it was The Top in the lower haight and the last 10 years it has been you 222. It is like one of the last little hole in the wall dance clubs around. I love it that you dont have to worry about sleazy dudes hitting on you (which would suck cause there is no where to hide (hyde would have been TOO bad to have said, but i thought about it!) and you didn't have to get all made up and in fact if you did, you just might get mugged waiting for your departing MUNI! I have seen more hilarious shit in front of 222 than i can remember. It is great when you get a true local gritty dance music fan crowd inter-mingling with the TL's characters, doing the 'dollar dance' while you smoke a cigarette and sing for him to be able to dance to. Loads of good memories. It is getting harder and harder to find places like 222 in sf with all of this crazy money jokers moving here. If it is the end of an era, i am thankful that i have the memories. Thank you 222!

Posted by bluepearlgirl on Feb. 26, 2013 @ 11:19 pm

Back2Back has its occasional appearances at Mighty.

Posted by Guest on Jun. 07, 2013 @ 7:35 pm

Wow. Thanks for all the memories EO. The dance music scene wouldn't be the same without you. I mean it. No one else could have possibly brought us nightlife quite the way that you presented it. We were lucky to have you and now most of us won't even know what to do in the vacuum created by your absence. May your next venture be as successful as this one. Remember: when one door closes, another one opens. Be careful though, it's a dog eat dog world out there... :)

Posted by Jesse on Mar. 10, 2013 @ 9:50 am