Localized Appreesh is our thank-you column to the musicians that make the Bay. To be considered, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
I first learned of Oakland's Kacey Johansing through another post here at Noise headquarters. The singer-songwriter – who also has played with Geographer and Yesway – played a private mini concert for SFBG videographer Ariel Soto-Suver's occasional feature, Telegenic Band Check.
Johansing's sweet, jazz-inflected vocals are what drew me in, they give the folk-pop singer an edge that makes you picture her in a dark nightclub, sidled up next to glossy baby grand, one arm dangling carelessly over the edge of the piano, while a crowd full of admirers sets down dry martinis on cocktail napkins to clap after each dazzling performance. But back to reality; in the Telegenic Band Check video she's merely strumming quietly in sunny Douglass Park, accompanied by actual chirping birdies, and still manages to make an impact.
Now that she's about to release her second LP – the moving, piano-tickled Grand Ghosts – it seemed like the perfect time to give her the Localized Appreesh quiz.
Year and location of origin: 1984 Kalamazoo, Michigan.
Personal motto: You don't need to take those drugs to enjoy the concert.
Description of sound in 10 words or less: Underwater Dance Party.
Instrumentation: Kacey Johansing-Guitar/Voice, Jeremy Harris-Guitar, Rob Shelton/Keys, Ezra Lipp/Drums, Jamie Riotto/Bass, Andrew Maguire/Vibraphone.
Most recent release: Grand Ghosts LP
Best part about life as a Bay Area musician: Three Guitar Centers! No, just kidding, I love it here so much and am incredibly grateful to be a part of such insanely talented, creative and supportive musical community.
Worst part about life as a Bay Area musician: It's easy to feel stuck inside of the "bubble"..not that it is a bad thing to feel content where you are, but I think it is difficult for great local bands to think outside of The Bay and venture outward.
First album ever purchased: Queen, Best Of.
Most recent album purchased/downloaded: Moody Blues To our Children's Children's Childrens on cassette. My dad's favorite band of all time..listened to this tape more than just about anything growing up.
Favorite local eatery and dish: Pizzaiolo in the East Bay, best best best housemade gin and tonics.
Most Commented On
- So you delusional fools will - April 17, 2014
- Benito Gomez is a piece of - April 17, 2014
- GgIciPoJKMy - April 17, 2014
- Marke is so busy deleteting allegedly "anti-trans" posts - April 17, 2014
- Or maybe the city lawsuit is a desperate move? - April 17, 2014
- The female attendant actually brought one of the assaulted - April 17, 2014
- Exactly Greg. This desperate move by the ACCJC is only cover. - April 17, 2014
- Heh, yeah, a BART station worker does not want to intervene to - April 17, 2014
- So you don't really care what people think? - April 17, 2014
- A GOOD SPELL MAN - April 17, 2014