Localized Appreesh is our weekly thank-you column to the musicians that make the Bay. To be considered, contact email@example.com.
At its core, good pop music simply pleases the senses. Billy & Dolly should be pleased as punch right about now: the SF act's charming sophomore LP, Dally Bon Idyll, is finally here. The power-pop duo of Bill Rousseau and Dahlia Gallin grew from another well-regarded local band, mid-Aughts act the Monolith, and released their debut as Billy & Dolly three years back (2009's In the Beginning), so this record is a long time in the making.
Dally Bon Idyll sees the act moving further into creamy pop with perky melodies, poppy riffs, and perfectly timed shared vocal responsibilities. It's gained the band favorable comparisons to Teenage Fanclub and Donovan, the latter of which is said to have inspired Billy & Dolly's sound, along with Simon & Garfunkel and Dolly Parton (natch).
The band fêtes the birth of Dally Bon Idyll with an album release show next week at the Rickshaw Stop, which should please the whistling masses. But first, Billy & Dolly take the Localized Appreesh challenge:
Year and location of origin: 2009, San Francisco.
Band name origin: No comment.
Band motto: Shitty in the City.
Description of sound in 10 words or less: Why is this so hard for musicians to answer?
Instrumentation: Vocals X 2, Piano/Organ, Guitar, Bass and Drums.
Most recent release: Dally Bon Idyll.
Best part about life as a Bay Area band: This is the best place to live on the face of the planet.
Worst part about life as a Bay Area band: This is the most expensive place to live on the face of the planet.
First album ever purchased: Billy: Pat Benatar - Get Nervous. Dolly: Brian Eno - Here Come the Warm Jets
Most recent album purchased/downloaded: Billy: Father John Misty - Fear Fun. Dolly: Jim Ford - Harlan County.
Favorite local eatery and dish: Billy -- Range, Baked Chicken. Dolly -- Shanghai Dumpling King, fried sugar egg puffs.
- Cameroon,i must tell you about a wonderful doctor that cure my - August 21, 2014
- i happy living with it, and i went into research on how i can g - August 21, 2014
- Vulnerable San Francisco ignores growing tech bubble talk - August 21, 2014
- SPELL CASTER THAT BRING MY EX LOVER BACK IN JUST 48HOURS - August 21, 2014
- One can keep all the existing - August 21, 2014
- We don't need a shit ton of condos - August 20, 2014
- Why sf why not San Jose? - August 20, 2014
- Ed Lie's support is less than - August 20, 2014
- Didn't Ronald Reagan say that - August 7, 2014
- Except that they've not been - August 7, 2014