American Idol: The weeping edition

Damn, Haley, you should have wept more

Six weeks ago, who could have imagined -- the American Idol final is Scotty and Lauren? Please. So many talented people gone, so little talent left ....

I like Scotty, I really do, despite the religion and the aw-shucks sheepishness. I think he's a sincere kid who will have a great career as a country music singer. But AI is supposed to showcase broad-based talent, and that's not him.

Lauren is also a nice kid, and the scene with her crying as she viewed the flood wreckage was way, way over the top, but sincere. (In fact, there was an awful lot of weeping this week. Scotty wept all the way home. The only one who didn't seem overcome by emotion was Haley, who was also the best performer. But I guess it's all about the televised tears. You cry and you love God and you get a recording contract. What a great country.)

A few noteworthy moments in the penultimate week:

Ryan reports 95 million votes. Somebody's got an app out there.

Steven once again has gold glittery pants. It goes with the feathers in his hair, I guess.

Shameless huckerism just gets worse: The three finalists get to go to the special showing of "Super 8" -- followed immediately by an ad for "Super 8." The kids all look miserable doing their final Ford music video.

Then on comes -- ready? -- Il Volo, a group of three young Italian opera singers who sing "O Sole Mio" in Italian. They're totally talented, no complaints, but it's really odd and the three finalists are kind of dumbfounded.

There's a six-second appearance by 50 Cent, who looks as if he'd rather be anywhere else in the world.

The videos of the carefully orchestrated "home visits" are long, dumb and about as sappy as it gets. Lauren's bodyguard is gigantic. Then we go on to the results -- and it's clear that the voters have been so wrong for so long that the show is becoming a farce. Good people gone? Pia. Casey. James. Now Haley. Any of them could have been legitimate finalists. But it's all about the cuteness and the emotion, and I'm over it.

Final prediction: Viv wants Lauren, because she says (and it's a good point) that Scotty and James will wind up with great careers anyway, but if Lauren finishes second and doesn't get the Idol contracts, she's never going anywhere on her own. But come on -- it has to be Scotty. It's not even a choice. At least he's good at something.

Comments

the sweety who writes for the sanfran rag doesn't get that people like what they like. no fruit from ca understnds that we do not have to like anything other than what we like. the writer belongs in osamas reelect comm.

Posted by Guest on May. 20, 2011 @ 11:58 am

it seems we've whittled it down to the blandest, each week getting blander and blander. each week my favorite goes home (jacob,casey,james,haley). what a load of poop.

battle of the blands

Posted by Guest on May. 20, 2011 @ 12:32 pm

I have watched American Idol since its inception, and II probably won't watch it next season. The real talent on the show never wins--maybe this is due to the median age of the people voting, but I am getting tired of the "boy or girl next door" type with their bland or sweet or, very often, country, voices ending up winning whem they don't deserve it. Also, I don't think religion should be in the mix or religious songs either. Haley and James should be on the stage next week--not Mr. and Mrs. Goody Two-Shoes. It appears that most American Idol voters live in Nashville and surrounding areas. The edgy talent, the controversial talent never seems to win; yet in the "real" world, it is the controversial, outrageous and extremely talented people like Lady Gaga that are the most popular. Maybe they need to produce multiple American Idol shows--one for the kiddies and one for the grown-ups. One featuring only country western singers, one featuring rock, one featuring blues, jazz, etc. I am a 68 year old grown-up and right now I am just plain fed up!!

Posted by Guest on May. 20, 2011 @ 12:50 pm

one thinks that at 68 "fed up" would understand voting. probably another obamaniac.

Posted by Guest on May. 20, 2011 @ 1:58 pm

I have seen loaves of Wonder Bread with more character than these kids.

Posted by chelsea on May. 20, 2011 @ 2:16 pm

You people are crazy!! Haley sucks and should have gone home long ago!!!! Pia & Casey should have been in the finals. This has been the worst year of Idol ever.

Posted by Guest on May. 20, 2011 @ 3:14 pm

Wrong

Posted by UNderthebus on May. 27, 2011 @ 5:11 am

I agree she should have gone home a long time ago. The problem is that Lauren should have gone home first. The final should have been James and and Casey or James and Pia. How about that?

Am I wrong or has the real talent been shafted this year more than in the past?

Posted by tim on May. 20, 2011 @ 3:25 pm

The real issue is the stupid voting scheme that rewards people with unlimited free time and the enthusiasm to sit down and waste 2+ hours of their lives calling and texting votes in until their fingers drop off.

Now, I'm sure that somewhere, somehow in that mix with this voting scheme AI's corporate sponsors are getting sacks of cash, not to mention that AI can report McDonald's-like numbers ("over 6 billion sold...") every week. Nonetheless, it does not make for a true representation of how the voters feel about the music. "Vote early, vote often" used to be a joke about corrupt election fraud.

Of course, maybe the theory is that the tweens with ever-increasingly-developed thumbs are the target audience for the show, since they will eventually drive the sales of the "artists" in stores and online.

In any case, the result is the same. I gladly bow to the victors and leave the field of battle with my self-respect intact. American Idol isn't that good or important that I want to waste my energy and time agonizing over an outcome that really makes no difference to me. There are politicians out there who are bent on making citizens' lives miserable, crooked elections, war, hunger, disasters, even impending raptures to worry about, and this fluff TV show is not up there. If and when AI gets around to revising its voting to make it in some fashion fair, I will reconsider, but for now I can think of better things to do with 5 hours a week.

Posted by BellevueTechie on May. 21, 2011 @ 7:01 am

and yet you spent the more effort on ai than any other guest

Posted by Guest on May. 24, 2011 @ 7:00 pm

LOL!!!!!!!! Excellent!

Posted by UNderthebus on May. 27, 2011 @ 5:14 am

James should have been born 20 years earlier so his 80's rock could shine through. He is way too good for these new "rockers" that merely pound out power chords and have distortion machines on their voices, or rappers who think they have talent. Casey is cool but growls and doesn't sing. He would be great in his jazz format but that is not what sells records and concerts today either. Haley is the only one who could truly cross over genres and probably do well in this musical climate other than the real singers on the show. Lauren and Scotty were the only two who truly can generate money in today's musical climate. Country music is still the only place where great singers and great musicians can offer their advanced skills and actually sell them for a profit other that the Lady Gaga pop stuff and Haley was the only one who could have pulled that style off. Pia belongs singing for Disney, her abilities and style are best suited for that Ballad stuff, unless she learns to shake it up like Jaylo or Beyonce. She is hot enough for sure.

Posted by UNderthebus on May. 27, 2011 @ 4:33 am