The San Francisco Gay Men’s Chorus rocked Davies Symphony Hall last night in a special performance that included the Mission High School Chorus joining the group on stage for a couple songs and a pair of proclamations honoring SFGMC Artistic Director Kathleen McGuire for 10 years leading the venerable singing ensemble.
One proclamation, from the California Legislature, was delivered by Sen. Mark Leno, who praised both McGuide’s inspirational musical leadership and her amazing ability to somehow handle the “200 divas” that make up SFGMC. The other proclamation, delivered by Sup. Bevan Dufty, came from Mayor Gavin Newsom and proclaimed April 22 “Kathleen McGuire Day” in San Francisco.
But the political pomp paled in comparison to the program, “Rockaria!” made up of foot-tapping and delightfully rearranged songs from Queen, Michael Jackson, Journey, Bon Jovi, Blacked Eyed Peas, Elton John, Billy Joel, Coldplay, Doobie Brothers, Joan Jett, Bananarama, Madonna, Yes, and Stevie Wonder, complete with some hilarious dance numbers.
And to make the night even more fun, the program included a sing-along, air guitar performance by audience members, and encouragement of audience members with smart phones to mark the event with simultaneous Twitter or Facebook posts and to use the phones like lighters at a rock concert during one number.
If you ever get a chance to check out this performance, do it! And rock on!
Most Commented On
- Ann, both are factors, surely. - June 19, 2013
- Everyone knows what trolling - June 19, 2013
- Being "Queen of Kink" is at best an ephemeral honor. - June 19, 2013
- But you're aren't really arguing the "joint" part of that Steven - June 19, 2013
- Why is government employment a good thing in general? - June 19, 2013
- Yes, the SF left always mindlessly supports the city family - June 19, 2013
- I interpreted those to be editorial endorsements - June 19, 2013
- If your case is any good, a lawyer will take it on contingency. - June 19, 2013
- Ann, I know a few people who use the SFBG endorsements as a - June 19, 2013
- Yes, Steven, but the buck still stops with the owner. - June 19, 2013